It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britain's alcohol problem.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by chocise

The officla figure is 5 billion per year, far more than the revenue it creates.

news.bbc.co.uk...

The average man also spends about £72,000 too.

edit on 2-8-2011 by Dhimmie because: Love

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Us Brits have the problem down to the way we drink.

When we go out we do a pub crawl, going from pub to pub, necking beer in each one. When I was 16/17, I started doing my home town pub 'circuit' often going into at least seven pubs , with a drink in each, sometimes with a chaser. We also get 'tanked up' on a few drinks whilst we are getting ready to leave the house before a night out. In my younger days (not 16/17 though), this would have been 1 bottle of white wine.

A German friend couldn't believe not only how much we drank but how fast we'd drink. He couldn't keep up. At home he and his friends would only stay in one pub all night and sup his beer slowly. He also thought we were all completely mad as it was mid winter, well below freezing, yet not one person would wear a coat. It was seen as a wimpy thing to do.

In Newcastle, it can be snowing with ice on the ground, yet all the women will be out wearing less clothes than the flesh you can see.
Yep, we do like to party hard and burn the candle at both ends.

edit on 2-8-2011 by JonoEnglish because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-8-2011 by JonoEnglish because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
alcohol kills more than all other drugs put together, except tabacco. Yet they are the 2 legal ones????? Anyone can see the solution, legalise everything, make the drug dealers have no business and tax the hell out the drugs, thus solving 2 problems : sort out the debt crisis and remove the criminal element of drug dealing.

dont get me wrong, im not an idiot, i know if all drugs were legal we would see an uprise in drug abuse, but at least the drugs wouldn't be cut with god knows what.

And being from the UK, and living in a deprived area, i see how both alcohol and drugs area major problem already, so why not make them legal and make the country some money, maybe get some of the unemployed working

its just a pipe dream, but hey, beats any ideas the politicians have ever had regarding drugs

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Drinking in the UK has become something that is not only encouraged, but expected amongst their peers.

The main problem is availability - its everywhere, and its cheap. It doesn't matter what laws are in place to prevent under 18's buying booze they will ALWAYS be able to get it.

In my opinion the only way to solve the problem is through education, from a young age from both school and in the home. Our governments solution to any problem is always to tax more...adding 20p, 50p or £1 to the cost of a can of beer WILL NOT solve the problem - kids have more money now than they ever have had. Think about it kids have grown up to think that £1 for a can of coke is the norm and don't question it. You can get 8 cans of fosters for 6 quid.

To be fair bars and clubs are now pretty good and keeping out under age customers. Its the supermarkets that need to get their act together, and be held accountable for the problem because they are to blame (in terms of the price/availability issue )

I don't believe the 'no future' argument, there are countless opportunities for kids to engage in other activities other than drinking.

stu

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Its killing the nation, but you what government officials are going to say, lets adopt some Sharia just to calm things down.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Actually, alcohol abuse is a world wide epidemic.

You just have to look down your block to see it in action.
Drunks are everywhere. Drinking is everywhere.

Its cool to drink--- isn't it??
Thats what the kids are raised on, thats what we see everywhere.

Keeps us dumb. Job well done.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
The drink problem in the UK is no where near as bad as people are making out. I only occasionally drink 1 bottle of cider every once in a while and that's it. Most other people I know don't drink at all. The fact that most local pubs in my area are on the verge of closure is proof of this, as they are always empty.
The only people who have drinking problems tend to be mainly teenagers who neither work or unfortunately don't appear to have anything to look forward too, so they tend to bury their heads in a bottle of vodka. The government of this country has no one to blame but itself in that respect.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by TiredofControlFreaks

nothing has changed it has been like it a longer time than 5 years, also it is not the consumption that is a problem, it is how much people think they must consume inorder to have a good night out and the mentality.

thats what creates the problems, not drinking it, but drinking it to excessive levels people cannot handle, which creates people laying in doorways unable to make their own way home, people fighting and clogging up A&E more than it needs to be etc.

if you drink responsibly and do not effect others because of it, then you are not a problem or the problem, there are however many who are and it IS a problem especially in citys. if you live ferther south than london or out in the sticks then you more than likely have never seen the problem.

edit on 2-8-2011 by lifeform11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by lifeform11

Agreed, but this was in 1999 when I was 18!

The problem has always been there, but periodically we're reminded in the media that "it's getting worse!"..

It isn't, it's just we're all getting old and we see behaviour such as that as abhorrent now, but when you're a boozed up sprog things were different. That's not to say there isn't a problem, but rather it is the same problem we've had for decades, centuries even!

I may have been the unassuming victim, but by jove the thrill of being in that scrap (and my mates all seeing it...I got the "mate" equivalent of the VC that night!) was a buzz I won't long forget!! We can pontificate about the deplorable nature of such acts, but I think we can all be adult enough to admit that when we were younger, we were much more prone to have a scrap and enjoy it!

That said, I wouldn't do that sort of thing these days and would find such behaviour distasteful, but youngsters will be youngsters!
edit on 2/8/11 by stumason because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Dhimmie

That article is complete bollicks. Just because people smoke and they become ill doesn't mean that it's the smoking that's the main cause of the problem. They have no proof of this. My great grandma lived to 90 and smoked all her life and was never ill and died of a heart attack & shock due to a broken hip. It's all these quangos that's costing all the money. If the NHS is so hard up then how is it that these quangos have just been given a 77 percent pay increase. Just like the government the system is rotten to the core and that's the main problem. Tories+NHS= disaster!

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by CasiusIgnoranze

Marijuana is addictive and kills if overused, yet it is illegal.

The only way marijuana will kill you is if someone drops a 5 kilo block of a ten story building and it hits you on the head, but then so would a 5 kilo block of feathers.

Don't smoke feathers.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by thedarktower

Prohibition of anything doesn't work.
As current drug laws clearly show.

I agree; legalise everything but monitor it, set tolerance levels for work and driving etc and then with the vast amounts of money saved due to reduced policing and prison population spend on real education.

But hell, we're not supposed to discuss that here on ATS so what chance have we got of having a reasoned debate in 'real' life.

Unfortunately the moral minority continue to brainwash people into believing the evils of drink and drugs and imposing their repressive morals on everyone else.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by TechVampyre
reply to post by CasiusIgnoranze

Marijuana is addictive and kills if overused, yet it is illegal.

Marijuana kills? this is news to me..

Edit to add: Educate your self. Obviously you have been denied the truth.

edit on 1-8-2011 by TechVampyre because: (no reason given)

Im afraid that your actually wrong

There has been 1 death in 5000years attributed directly to Marijuana:

In Pakistan 1 Lorry containing several tonnes of the drug was driving on a dirt road rather quickly and on 1 curve actually upset and fell on its side. 1 Packaged fell over onto 1 of the men accompaning the lorry and killing him in the process.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Oh here we go again Nanny state Britain, trying to interfere in everyone's daily life's, or pleasure's, this is the only pleasure some get, drinking or smoking.

Until you tell them to keep their noses out of your business, then they threaten to come and take you away aha.

I as a UK citizen pay as much tax and national insurance as everyone else, and should be as entitled to Services on offer by the NHS.

But no the government would prefer us all to be drones and follow thier rules and acts and legislation.

NOT.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by EmVeeFF

Ok, this silliness must end. But seriously, how do we still justify cigs and alcohol being legal, while "the substance which must not be named" is illegal?! It's like making paintball guns illegal and handing out AK-47s...

Using death statistics for tobacco and alcohol make perfect sense as an argument for making those things illegal. It makes zero sense when trying to convince somebody to make 'substance x' legal.

"It would kill less people than alcohol and cigarettes" could apply to anything. You could pass a law that lets 12 year olds carry concealed guns to school and it'd kill fewer people than drunk driving.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   
In the Summer of 1986 I was deployed in the Med. while in the Navy, being on a smaller vessel I got to visit many ports of call larger vessels could not get to.

Anyway, if there was someone falling down on the ground drunk, they were from England on holiday... or a sailor...or both.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Griffo

Well look at it this way, how many people are killed every day crossing the road or being knocked down. Or how many people kill themselves each day taking over doses or over dosing on Crack or herion.

But yet the Nanny State Government, still bangs on about us all supposingly having a drink problem. Mind you they have went on about this for years and it has fell on deaf ears before. We just stuck two fingers up to them and drunk more

And if you think blokes in the UK are bad you have not see us Ladies on the Weekends falling all over the place drunk

There you go

edit on 2-8-2011 by AnonymousFem because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by kn0wh0wallthough i'm not a drinker myself, i feel the same about another substance. (green and natural, just needed to add that)

You know that alfalfa sprout addiction is a tough to beat,

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

The drinking age is 18 here!!! Smoking age 16

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Okay so i live in London i've tried drugs and sometimes take some pharmaceuticals. There is a massive drink problem in my country, the vast majority of my friends i label " friday night millionaires". They literally spend a whole weeks wages on alcohol over the weekend. ( i don't drink)
It's hard to put your finger on one specific reason why the problem is so endemic but i think it's partially a mixture of young legal age, boredom because for a 15/16 year old male their isn't loads of sports in school to keep them occupied and focused like in America you have wrestling , american football, "soccer", baseball and basketball and so all the teenagers from a early age are on the streets and bored. Their is minimal infrastructure to promote more positive alternatives.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join