It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britain's alcohol problem.

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
What aloud of over exaggerated BS

I SEE NO PROBLEM AT ALL!

Yes occasionally people will over do it once a blue moon, and this is what they are reporting, i probably go on holiday once a year now days, and yes i will get absolutely battered on beer, ONCE A YEAR big deal, but these people reporting it make out like this is everybody everyday of the week LOL

There are quite a few million people in the UK and yes drinking is a big part of our culture, but a few pints a week is not a problem a tiny tiny tiny amount of people will drink every day of the week but hey there in most country to, there called alcoholics, so please... don't talk utter BS like the entire UK has this MASSIVE drinking problem because we really don't,

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Surreptitious

Originally posted by EnlightenMe2012
It's far too cheap

Not lately...

Just to give some perspective on this, drinking in the UK has "doubled" (pardon the pun) in price since 2009.

4x cans of "Strongbow Cider" from TESCO in 2009 used to cost £2.39, here now in 2011 it costs £3.99 !!!

Most people who are on benefits/welfare cannot afford to get drunk because of the price and the fact all beer/wine is now much lower alcohol volumetric %, compaired to two years ago.

Regards.
edit on 2-8-2011 by Surreptitious because: Spelling mistake

Can't afford to get drunk? 4 cans of superbrew is a fiver. 5 liters 7.5 cider is a fiver. Can even get half a bottl of whiskey(high commissioner it's called, awful stuff) for £7

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by RevelationGeneration
The Teens in this country are drinking themselves to death because they have no purpose in life..

Without God they are lost sheep so they think life's one big party and they can treat there body's with no respect.

Well i tell you something, im glad to be in the minority of young people who prefer cannabis over alcohol consumption. A much safer, healthy natural substance that God put on this earth.

Fermented alcohol is evil, unnatural, and made by man.

When will these young people realize they're killing there livers?

You could say what you smoke goes through a fermentation process. The stuff grown naturally without much care is awful quality and wouldn't knock out a cat

The process of creating a good quality strain is certainly man made, more so than alcohol you could argue.

You green-heads kill me with all your nonsense. You sound like brainwashed fools. What you're smoking now was probably sat under a UV light for a good length of time

edit on 2-8-2011 by NadaCambia because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Can i just remind you Heroin comes from the poppy seed a very natural substace but would not want youths talikng it.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I see absolutely no evidence at all that anybody especially a majority is drinking to these harmful & excessive amounts of alcohol consumptions in th UK

Thos charts are just comical, i'm actually laughing out very loud and in abit of disbelief at this entire thread and the crap people are coming out with tbh, its just ridiculous

Maybe its my age or maybe its got more to do with where i live in the UK but really? Britain's alcohol problem. i think this is an epic over statement and abit of an insult to the majority who drink sensible amounts

Sorry i can't remember who posted this now i should have quoted you, but some guy from Scotland said about 4 people who walked into his shop buying alcohol and then up there consumption to 3 times a week instead of once,

Firstly was they drinking it all to them selfs? do you know this for a fact? or was it just the fact people are having more BBQ party at that time of year?

Secondly 4 people??? how big is your town/city my friend ?

just LOL

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by chocise

I live in the UK and yeah I agree. Nail on the head. Sad really.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Probably because Britain has some of the very best ales in the world...yum

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by BRITWARRIOR
I see absolutely no evidence at all that anybody especially a majority is drinking to these harmful & excessive amounts of alcohol consumptions in th UK

Thos charts are just comical, i'm actually laughing out very loud and in abit of disbelief at this entire thread and the crap people are coming out with tbh, its just ridiculous

Maybe its my age or maybe its got more to do with where i live in the UK but really? Britain's alcohol problem. i think this is an epic over statement and abit of an insult to the majority who drink sensible amounts

Sorry i can't remember who posted this now i should have quoted you, but some guy from Scotland said about 4 people who walked into his shop buying alcohol and then up there consumption to 3 times a week instead of once,

Firstly was they drinking it all to them selfs? do you know this for a fact? or was it just the fact people are having more BBQ party at that time of year?

Secondly 4 people??? how big is your town/city my friend ?

just LOL

Don't you find it odd that 99% of people in this thread, despite drinking themselves and defending the right to drink and slamming the suggestion of an increase in tax... Don't you find it odd that all these people can see that Britain has a poor drink-culture?

You're either in absolute denial or live in a very unique area of Britain.

Britain has a massive alcohol problem. If you travel some so you can compare then maybe you'll see it more. Because it is harder to pick up. It's not like with junk food where someone eats too much kebabs and gets fat, alcoholism is usually hidden.

Alcoholics hide their problem. Especially those with friends and family and in smaller communities. They'll go to the trouble of alternating where they buy the beer through embarrassment, to hiding alcohol about their house, to only drinking at home etc. Another thing with alcoholics is they drink so much that they don't get that visibly drunk and can hide it quite well. Can easily hold down jobs and go unnoticed.

It's not the alcohol that's the problem though. It's a larger issue with British society on the whole.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by michaelmcclen
reply to post by Trolloks

I can testify with my glass of hennesy and coke

Really, why spoil a great drink with something so horrible as coke.

Thankfully this article didn't look at New Zealand's drinking culture and the associated domestic violence figures, particularly after the All Blacks lose a rugby match. I'm ,sadly, waiting for figures to skyrocket after we get removed from the Rugby world Cup at quarter final level by either Australia, France, or England.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by CasiusIgnoranze

Marijuana is only psychologically addictive and withdrawal symptoms are 1 - 3 days.

Marijuana has never killed anyone.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   
no wonder you all hate america

bunch of drunks... lol now it makes sence

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Australia is just as much in a dire state with alcohol. A survey was done that showed 94% of 14 year olds already had been drunk in the past WEEK. I'm truly finding it difficult to still call Australia home. We get 14 year olds absolutely smashed, strolling the streets vandalizing everything, 14 year olds smoking weed or cigarettes, teenagers driving before they could even legally own a car, and so on. I'm really starting to hate this place and the people. This country is doomed, but then again, so are all the others; I can see that the grass isn't greener on the other side. All I can say is "Natural selection, hurry the hell up!"

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
We also have an alcohol problem in Australia.

I think alcohol is so embedded into the cultural norm that it continues the cycle in each generation.

Alcohol related violence is terrible here. You go to a pub or nightclub and there is always a fight of some kind...even women fight too.

I drink a little alcohol but I don't like to 'get drunk' or get drunk at pubs ...

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Maybe they should legalize marijuana that would cut the numbers down

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Evanzsayz

yes they have introduced a synthetic form and it is legal, only issue with that really is people mixing the two or possibly cocktail of substances.

Substance abuse in any form is a form of escape...what is everyone trying to escape from?

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by aorAki

Originally posted by michaelmcclen
reply to post by Trolloks

I can testify with my glass of hennesy and coke

Really, why spoil a great drink with something so horrible as coke.

Thankfully this article didn't look at New Zealand's drinking culture and the associated domestic violence figures, particularly after the All Blacks lose a rugby match. I'm ,sadly, waiting for figures to skyrocket after we get removed from the Rugby world Cup at quarter final level by either Australia, France, or England.

To be fair, it's not often NZ lose a Rugby match so it can't be all that big of a problem.

I don't know why the AB's are such epic chokers, especially compared to the Kiwis in League who punched above their weight and have knocked Australia about the last few years.

Forget SBW, the AB's need to poach Wayne Bennett from League - If he can stop the St George choke he can stop the AB choke. Will be interesting to see the heat England gets in their games, after the whole black-jersey thing in recent weeks.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by TechVampyre
reply to post by CasiusIgnoranze

Marijuana is addictive and kills if overused, yet it is illegal.

Marijuana kills? this is news to me..

Edit to add: Educate your self. Obviously you have been denied the truth.

Yep. People are being brutally murdered all over Mexico, the US and Canada over marijuana... It kills alright.

edit on 1-8-2011 by TechVampyre because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thurisaz
We also have an alcohol problem in Australia.

I think alcohol is so embedded into the cultural norm that it continues the cycle in each generation.

Alcohol related violence is terrible here. You go to a pub or nightclub and there is always a fight of some kind...even women fight too.

I drink a little alcohol but I don't like to 'get drunk' or get drunk at pubs ...

Wasn't Australia originally colonized by the British?

That's probably where the Aussie drinking culture originates.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by BRITWARRIOR
What aloud of over exaggerated BS

I SEE NO PROBLEM AT ALL!

Yes occasionally people will over do it once a blue moon, and this is what they are reporting, i probably go on holiday once a year now days, and yes i will get absolutely battered on beer, ONCE A YEAR big deal, but these people reporting it make out like this is everybody everyday of the week LOL

There are quite a few million people in the UK and yes drinking is a big part of our culture, but a few pints a week is not a problem a tiny tiny tiny amount of people will drink every day of the week but hey there in most country to, there called alcoholics, so please... don't talk utter BS like the entire UK has this MASSIVE drinking problem because we really don't,

Yes you do actually. I've lived over there - and I've seen the chaos and violence on a weekend night when the pubs all close. It's like some kind of drunken riot - with cops standing around just watching. Over here you'd have your ass thrown in jail if you tried that.I don't know what part of Britain you live in, but it must be incredibly remote and isolated.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I constantly hear of binge-drinking and of the ruckus that ensues in the
town I live in. Due to a change in occupation, I came across folk who
drink a bottle of vodka everyday!
A work-colleague actually drank (with her partner) TWO bottles a day
and usually came in with heavy make-up to hide the bruises from her
battles with him.

The colleague's partner strangled and mutilated her and due to these
drink binges, is serving a life sentence.

Would this have occured if there was no drinking need...?
I don't know.

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16 >>

join