It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Its a Drug .....and We're all Hooked

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
So I just realized it , I'm an addict , Its cheap and its legal and the effects are so slight you don't even realize your hooked ..... until its gone

So I guess I'd better explain , the drug is the Internet and come down is a bitch .
Tue 26th July , my internet goes down , no big deal ... its happened before , it'll be back in an hour or so , or so I thought .
Not this time , one day turns to two days , turns to three days , I call the call center and find myself getting angry at the person on the other end of the line , I feel irritated and cut off from the World , hell I cant even check the weather forecast when I want

Day five and they finally fix my connection , I sit there just looking at my little green light that tells me all is well , we are back online , I reflect on the past week and it dawns on me that over the last few years I have become dependent on this internet and the first three days of being offline were like a withdrawal .
If you don't believe it or think I'm exaggerating give it a go , unplug your modem for three or four days ...bet you can't

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

I can quit anytime I want. I am gonna kick tomooooorrow.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

Of course we are addicted to it. We have a box that can link us to endless hours of entertainment. Endless amounts of information is at our fingertips. With Google earth you don't even have to leave your home to see the world anymore. Its quite amazing and very frighting.

But you gota love it

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
You know what's sad? I kinda enjoy it on the few occasions when I lose internet for a few hours. How pathetic! That means I am spending way too much time online and I know it, but don't do anything about it!
edit on 1-8-2011 by AlphaBetaGammaX because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

My name is Swills and I'm an internet addict.

I've been an internet addict since early 2002
I love forums, online video games/poker, and of course information.

And welcome back to the internet gortex. Welcome home

edit on 1-8-2011 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I know.. my internet went out the other day. After 10 minutes, I decided to go outside and was surprised to find the grass was ankle deep.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

Welcome Swills , the hardest part is admitting it to yourself

Tea and biscuits will be served latter

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
IT is so, so true. I spend 12-18 hours online on an average day since about 2007 or so maybe. There is absolutely no separation between work and play for me, everything is seamless and online now. And with the iPhone and iPad...Man, I never even had a chance. You don't walk away from a jones like that.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

gortex you nailed it. if i could have smokes & groceries delivered i'd almost never leave the house. i've lost all interest in most all of the things i used to do. i have so many projects piled up you wouldn't believe it.

i used to do all sorts of things to earn money selling things on eBay. but my so-called 'better half' pisses it away so quickly i realized it was like fighting the war on drugs. it was a joke. i gave up.

i'm online so much i lose at least a day a week. my sleep schedule is shot to hell, i'm frequently online all night long before i even realize i've been on for an hour.

on the upside, the internet doesn't have the nasty side effects of tobacco, alcohol, or street substances. and i have learned so much over the years! been to places i would never get to in real life. seen art work thats in museums of Europe.

believe me, there are much worse vices than the 'net. and like all other addictions, all one has to do is "Just Say No' (lol) and walk away if/when one wants to.

The Internet: Tastes Great. Less Filling.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by gortex
So I just realized it , I'm an addict , Its cheap and its legal and the effects are so slight you don't even realize your hooked ..... until its gone

So I guess I'd better explain , the drug is the Internet and come down is a bitch .
Tue 26th July , my internet goes down , no big deal ... its happened before , it'll be back in an hour or so , or so I thought .
Not this time , one day turns to two days , turns to three days , I call the call center and find myself getting angry at the person on the other end of the line , I feel irritated and cut off from the World , hell I cant even check the weather forecast when I want

Day five and they finally fix my connection , I sit there just looking at my little green light that tells me all is well , we are back online , I reflect on the past week and it dawns on me that over the last few years I have become dependent on this internet and the first three days of being offline were like a withdrawal .
If you don't believe it or think I'm exaggerating give it a go , unplug your modem for three or four days ...bet you can't

I agree. I have problems with my connection quite often but never for days. If that happens I would turn to my cell phone. If that didn't work I don't know what I would do. I like having anything I want to know at the tips of my fingers.

It would be really hard for the people who are addicted to MMORPG. I was when I was a teenager. Dark age of Camelot
Loved that game! Then WOW came out and I played that for a bit but never got as into it as Dark Age.

Something happened to my computer and it wouldnt work properly. A virus or something. It took a while before the withdrawls stopped. Still to this day, even though its been like 7 years I have to stay away from the MMORPG or I might get sucked back in.

Hi my name is B---- and I am addicted to the internet...lol do they have a treatment program for that?

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
You're right! It is an addiction.

We better get started on a 12-Step program so we can begin to get rehabilitated.

1 - We admitted we were powerless over the internet—that our lives had become unmanageable. Start by watching more TV. No, wait!

2 - Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity. ATS perhaps?

3 - Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him. Assuming He's not cruising the net at the time.

4 - Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves. You can Google it if that helps.

5 - Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs. Okay, I admit a friend suckered me into watching 2 Girls and a Cup. Psychologically scarred ever since.

6 - Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character. Sort of like a spam-blocker.

7 - Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings. Goodbye Bookmarks.

8 - Made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all. Maybe ATS can create a new forum for this?

9 - Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others. Give them a star, and never un-flag a thread.

10 - Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it. I was wrong to make MSN my homepage.

11 - Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out. I'll do that right after I check the latest on the NFL Free Agent moves.

12 - Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to interneters, and to practice these principles in all our affairs. There is hope for us yet.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
It was a hell of a lot more addicting before the fascist US government stepped in to shut down online poker and deny millions of people a right to earn an income by playing a game of skill.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by HenryTwoTimes
It was a hell of a lot more addicting before the fascist US government stepped in to shut down online poker and deny millions of people a right to earn an income by playing a game of skill.

I quote thee for Truth. Thank god a I have AC & CT to go to, and many side games.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

I get to post this a lot lately
but I bet it will make you feel better

that wasn't an exception, that is the rule ♥

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
My name is Mblah and I'm an addict!

I had no computer for about a month and I went crazy. I used my iPhone and my Droid to get online and read ATS but it is just too small and it gave me a headache.....

I did however utilize both phones to actually make and post a thread...btw you can upload pics to media with a Droid...pretty cool.

Yea I can't be without the internet, it's my thing. For me it's because I read online so much. I use to go to the library but they don't have anything up to date and I can find ANYTHING online of interest to read esp when it comes to topics that are hard to find information on in a library or bookstore. So for me the internet is like a vast library!

I still go to the library and bookstores. I find both to be relaxing and it is usually where I go to relax and be alone. I can sit in there for hours reading or browsing esp in Barnes and Noble.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
I had no computer for about a month and I went crazy.

That would not happen to me, I would not allow it. In 14 years I have not gone more than a few hours without a PC. I've been through 5 of them

I was lucky for most of them and had the cash to get a new one. One I had to get from a friend used on a payment plan, it was my best option (worse pc I ever had, packard hell).
edit on 1-8-2011 by Forevever because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

unplug your modem for three or four days

Now don't go off the deep end there gortex man, that's just crazy talk! Get a grip on yourself because you've gone totally nutter. Where do you come up with this stuff? Keep the scissors away from this guy, I think he has gone around the bend. Unplug the modem for three or four days? What the heck are you smokin? Gimme some of that.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Hessling

will that be an online group?

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:37 AM
link   
I would agree that the internet is addictive but its an addiction that does not have any withdrawl symptoms if the disconnected is creative and motivated to find something else to do. Just like any "drug" that generates a mental addiction but not a physical addiction, if you find another way to occupy your time you will not think about its absence. If you feel withdraw from the internet then I would suggest finding an alternative hobby, maybe something more constructive. Two quotes come to mind.......

Out of sight, out of mind.
And
Idle hands are the devils playthings.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I think it's the biblical mark, it's getting to the point you can't buy or sell without it, etc.........

top topics

<<   2 >>

join