It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia hit by first-ever "city tornado"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
13:06 01/08/2011
MOSCOW, August 1 (RIA Novosti)

en.rian.ru...

www.dailymail.co.uk...

A tornado that struck the eastern Russian city of Blagoveshchensk on Sunday night was the country’s first ever "city tornado," a meteorologist said.
The 13-minute twister that killed one person and injured dozens of others in Blagoveshchensk, a city of around 220,000 on the border with China, was the first tornado to hit a major Russian city, meteorologist Alexander Golubev told RIA Novosti.

Golubev said the likelihood of a tornado hitting Blagoveshchensk again any time soon was "minimal." In 1984, a tornado hit the outskirts of Ivanovo in central Russia, but only a few farm utility buildings were damaged. Golubev said waterspouts are somewhat common near the Black

Sea cities of Anapa and Tuapse, but once they hit land they die out.
Officials said more than 120 military cadets were involved in the cleanup efforts after Sunday’s tornado, which caused an estimated 80 million rubles ($2.9 million) in damage.

edit on 1-8-2011 by Dalke07 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
First my condolences,,i hope no one was badly hurt,,,

i did read it is not unheard of though,,,there have been other "Tornado's in Russia",, but it is such a vast Empire,in land mass. I'm Canadian,,so im not sure if this area is first time?
Sympathy

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   

There have been increasing numbers of measured tornadoes in the past 60 years, and may be even more in the future. Meteorologists chalk this up to better detection. But climatologists believe that we’re going to see more and worse severe storms and tornadoes in the U.S. in coming years thanks to climate change.

Two studies from 2007 point to a warmer future that could "bring the USA a dramatic increase in the frequency of weather conditions that feed severe thunderstorms and tornadoes by the end of the 21st century." The first, a study published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, says that the some locations will see twice as many days per year that favor severe thunderstorms.

www.grist.org...

www.cnn.com...

skepticalsurvivalist.tumblr.com...

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Is it normal for a tornado to be that far north? I've always thought they were purely a mid to southern equator thing. I've seen small ones on the west coast of Scotland but I wouldn't even call them tornadoes.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Dalke07

If u take away the mean averg. there seems too be a new mean average which seems too be increasing,, quite significantly.
imo

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ramcheck
Is it normal for a tornado to be that far north? I've always thought they were purely a mid to southern equator thing. I've seen small ones on the west coast of Scotland but I wouldn't even call them tornadoes.

No, tornadoes can happen anywhere in the world. Its all about having the right conditions for them to form.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

I live in SA and it sucks, no tornadoes, no cyclones...nada...and the crocs, roos, boars, snakes, spiders, scorpions, sharks, lizards, drop bears and hoop snakes are starting to bore me.

*psst..dont tell our international friends wink wink*
edit on 2-8-2011 by LightAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
For the location this happened in, it's somewhat rare I agree. Worth noting.

However before I determine exactly how rare and out of place this is, I would want to review the last 50 years of Russian tornado history. I doubt these records are available but it would sure put some perspective on this whole thing.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman

Originally posted by Ramcheck

No, tornadoes can happen anywhere in the world. Its all about having the right conditions for them to form.

Yeah it can form anywhere where the conditions are optimal.

Here is a link to tornadoes at noaa.gov, which should give anyone interested the background information they need.

Scroll down a bit to the "how tornadoes form" section.
(This post intended for anyone wishing to learn more about tornadoes).

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
How long until someone mentions HAARP? .....Oops.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Ha!

That's what Putin gets for calling us parasites.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Makes me think how my city has NEVER been hit by a major tornado.

A small one a few years ago the threw minor things out of place. nothing that's still talked about.

top topics

join