It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook's Randi Zuckerberg: Anonymity Online 'Has To Go Away'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Facebook's Randi Zuckerberg: Anonymity Online 'Has To Go Away'

www.huffingtonpost.com

Zuckerberg, who is Facebook co-founder Mark Zuckerberg’s sister, argued that putting an end to anonymity online could help curb bullying and harassment on the web.

“I think anonymity on the Internet has to go away,” she said during a panel discussion on social media hosted Tuesday evening by Marie Claire magazine. “People behave a lot better when they have their real names down. … I think people hide behind anonymity and they feel like they can say whatever they want behind closed doors.”
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
It is not unexpected that Facebook, a megalithic organization with millions of users, has found itself having to 'deal' with the entirely unpredictable effects of so many people interacting with each other.

The paradigm of control goes hand in hand with profit. Therefore anonymity is just a source of limitless externalities with which they would rather not contend. Ironically, the government is of the same mindset.

Ultimately, in a world where victimization is empowered and fewer and fewer venues of self expression exist, we will always face the pressure to constrain our practice of communication to maintain our level of satisfaction.

Oddly, it's as if it were a 'privilege' to communicate with one another.... isn't it?

Erin Andrews, an ESPN anchor who had a naked video of her posted online by a stalker, joined Zuckerberg as a panelist and addressed her struggles to have the illegally-obtained video removed from the web. She became emotional at points during the conversation and described her frustration working Google and other companies that declined to pull the video from the websites hosting it.

And now members of the MSM are 'on their side.' It was OK as long as it was 'news' they could somehow benefit from, financially or politically (is there a difference?) But once their personal lives were affected it has become time for a "movement' or 'cause' to be engendered by them....

sigh.

www.huffingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Wont be long till the polititians jump on this to try and fight against "cyber crime groups" such as Lulzsack and Anonymous.

2nd line.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Trolloks

Without a doubt, those are two groups that represent an organized front of that could be considered a 'gang' of cyber-bullies. So this is like another straw on the back of the camel straddling over the free-speech chasm.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
When they outlaw anonymity, only the criminals will have anonymity.

So...problem won't be solved.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cryptonomicon
When they outlaw anonymity, only the criminals will have anonymity.

So...problem won't be solved.

Evidently, you "get it."

For some reason what you have stated here is beyond the reckoning of most people who see themselves as 'leaders.'

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Also, this blows the doors wide open for framing people of crimes that they didnt commit, or even happen. Any whislte blowers will be found to have commited "illegal activity" on the internet or illegal downloading to shame them, too make sure they keep their mouth shut.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
randi zukerberg needs to go away

given the sheer size and scope and craziness of some people on the internet that is inviting disaster.

reminds me of the craigslist killer etc..

not talking ats mind you but there are huge safety concerns here not to mention one of the internets biggest reasons of success is no one knows who you are unless you want them to.

bad people and bad government tells me randi zukerberg is not living in reality.

i look at this as more social engineering.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
We are all criminals, already. When governments are treating people as criminals, people will become criminals. Because they have nothing to lose. The whole human civilisation has become a huge prison. It is our choice whether to stay in it and obey its twisted ways and rules, stay in it and fight them - thus becoming outlaws - or set camps in the wilderness - and become outlaws anyway...

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I think the better question to this is, who cares? If Facebook didn't gain the wealth that it has then Randi Zuckerberg would be an anonymous nobody saying nothing. She's riding the coattails of her brother. I didn't listen to her before Facebook and I don't listen to her now.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
This is like when you were a kid playing sandlot baseball. It was a little rough, and occasionally somebody got the cleats, but they walked it off and got back in the game.

And then the parents got involved, and they insisted you let the little kids play too, and you weren't allowed to play rough anymore, and the next thing you know the catcher's wearing a face mask and shin guards, and the little kids get to use a "tee," and you're not allowed to strike them out, and you can't swear or curse...

And if you don't like it, you can go play somewhere else, and "don't you give me that look, mister!" Go on! You can't play here anymore if you're gonna be that way! Go play somewhere else!

So, basically, we gotta go play somewhere else....

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

It will also put a curb to FB's business.

They should know better than to disturb the cool factor, they built a huge wealth off it.
Prying eyes kill the cool factor.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
This issue has already been posted several times; just searching for the name 'Randi Zuckerberg' turns up all the relevant threads. Mods, close, ta.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Randi believes she's important because she's the sister of Mark Zuckerberg, but the truth is that she's not even a co-founder despite what some media outlets have reported. Her opinion is irrelevant and, frankly, even if the entire Failbook crew decided they were insane enough to agree with her ignorant rhetoric, it doesn't matter at all. Anonymity isn't going anywhere. We will rise against their sick censorship and both corporations and governments can suck it.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
This can be both good and bad. But, there's always many ways to make yourself anonymous anyhow

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I think someone needs a swat van called out to their house...I actually think all these talks about "cyber bullying" and "trolls" is just government driven propaganda to put a filter on the net.....

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I'm down for a new playground.

Maybe a lot of us are.

If anonymity is the new enemy, isn't it telling when some clowns in Halloween masks scare all the Users silly with their antics? Isn't strange that they associate themselves with the concept of anonymity?

Look, just because you're a good, law-abiding person doesn't mean you want me looking at your credit card statements, right? Or the weird **** you search at 3am. Or your mail at all. You don't know me, it'd be weird.

So, how do you feel comfortable allowing Zuckerberg and his ilk rifling through your personal information?

Don't you drink that kool-aid, guys. Privacy is a-ok. And still very much attainable.
edit on 1-8-2011 by mistermonculous because: floop.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Here's the thing that nobody is talking about though

an end to anonymity online could help curb bullying and harassment on the web

Two things
1) The internet is not a school playground, you have to go to school and you don't have to be on the net

people hide behind anonymity and they feel like they can say whatever they want behind closed doors.”

2) Ummm... People can say whatever they want anyhow! Freedom of speech

Online bullying has to stop?
Fine, then social media networks can buy ATS's T&Cs for a small price and ATS Staff can act as consultants.

What a bunch of idiots

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Same thread.. Feel free to chime in.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
What she fails to understand is that a lot of the teenage suicides caused by bullying on social networking sites including Facebook and the sick pages on FB that glorify the deaths and make fun of them are usually set up by people under their own names and regular profiles to score extra points and make themselves look "cool" by doing so.

Killing anonymity for that reason is just pathetic and ignorant and will lead to more and more people who want privacy to seek out other means of connecting online with only those they know and leave Facebook.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join