It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Insect virus holds the key to safer stem cell therapy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Insect virus holds the key to safer stem cell therapy

www.physorg.com

The future of regenerative medicine lies in harnessing the potential of the human body to renew and repair itself. Now, scientists at the Institute of Bioengineering and Nanotechnology (IBN), the world’s first bioengineering and nanotechnology research institute, have developed a new genetic engineering technique that promises safer stem cell therapy for cancer patients. Using an insect virus, the team of researchers successfully inserted a therapeutic gene into a safe site in the DNA of human embryonic stem cells without compromising the functionality of the engineered cells.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
What I find interesting about this story is the fact that insects always seem to survive in one form or another no matter what is thrown at them. It is known that they can contribute to the well-being of humans but can also be a source of death and destruction.

My main reason for posting this is the idea that as technology increases and stories like this become more common it also stands to reason that this could be used in a negative way.

Now suppose a scientist wanted to implant a deadly virus into insects that could be passed through generations and was transmitted to humans by insect bites. Would it be wise for governments of the world to look at this possiblility and perhaps impose rules on scientists or should it just be left wide open for them to do whatever they want?

www.physorg.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

This is great news but I was wondering what happened to all those scientists screaming about how they needed to kill babies to get their stem cells for the whole stem cell research line to advance?

Can't they just use stem cells from the individual they are testing?

LoL

Have you seen the phage research out of former ussr?
www.youtube.com...

Dope-ski's!
edit on 1-8-2011 by MasterGemini because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
This nanotechnology is sounding like the answer to alot of problems.

I imagine it could also be the cause of alot of problems however also.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

Yet more proof that the true dominant species in this world isn't us, but insects and arthropods! No matter what the universe throws at them, they seem to always survive and flourish. I, for one, feel we need to devote more study into the many amazing things that insects (and their infinitely more amazing cousins, the spiders) can do, and how we can endeavor to replicate it!

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Why does this make me think of 'Brundlefly' and appendages falling off.....

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by WhiskyKisses

Spiderman, spiderman...I can see it now. Or maybe the Scorpion King?

But seriously, I agree that this has the potential to take bio-terrorism to a new level.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Didn't think about the superhero component to this story but I see no reason why someone wouldn't try to modify human cell structure to more resemble that of insects to gain the benefits once the future research is far enough along.

This may be the start of another path i'm not sure if humans should be wandering down.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
What's wrong with trying to perfect the human race by modifying our natural genetic progression? Hitler tried to do it and that worked out just fine :S

Could be some amazing outcomes positive.. but being the way most humans are power hungry and selfish.. I tend to think the opposite of this will be the outcome more likely.. I really hope not but history tells us it's the favourite for bets to be placed on.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   
I think there are certain things that should be off limits to scientists. If it's one thing we have learned over time is that science, for all it's inherent good, has the amazing ability to bring out the worst in our leaders. People on power trips can take the most important and life giving discoveries and pervert them into life destroying weapons. When will we learn to not tamper with nature? When are we going to stand up and say enough is enough? It's our world too. We have to live with the consequences of these mad men, and I think we have the duty of telling them we will not stand for their meddling with mother nature!

new topics

top topics

join