It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Highest Radiation Ever Detected At Fukushima: 10+ Sieverts An Hour

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+44 more 
posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Fukushima Update: Highest radiation level yet...it's worse

Remember all those idiots who claimed that Fukushima is contained, or better yet, the drama is exaggerated? Perhaps it is time to exile them all, starting with that moron from MIT, to Fukushima where the radiation measured at the base of the main ventilation stack just hit an all time high 10 sieverts/hour. The truth likely is much uglier: this is simply the highest reading the devices are able to record. In other words, there does not exist a device that can capture the true extent of the catastrophe at Fukushima!

Read more at:

www.zerohedge.com...

It is a shame that no one talks about it anymore.....and with these levels of radiation, the poor people of Japan - and the rest of the world. Make no mistake, this tragedy is far from over. In my opinion, Japan is uninhabitable....it just depends on how many hundreds of thousand of Japanese die before they realize they have to give up their homeland.
edit on 1-8-2011 by MidnightTide because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I'm still talking about it but no one cares.

and all of this just for some cash.

Tepco claims it's contained, bullpoop!
They are saying that because of money, their stocks are low and they don't want to go bankrupt.
They didnt want to dig under the reactor because it costs to much.

They value 'paper' over person.

Raising a finger in their general direction.

Thanks for the info OP

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
But TEPCO said the radiation readings are lower now and that they have made a closed circuit cooling system that cleans the water. Plus they are still promising to clean up the area around the plant

/sarcasm

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by MidnightTide

Sadly, the Japanese government is reportedly forbidding this kind of news story in that it "contradicts the official story."

Those poor people in Japan must have certainly been alarmed by such a move.....

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I continue to try and keep the discussion going at places I am at, but people don't want to hear about it when the media says it isn't a problem. Maybe it's for the better in some ways, since the damage that is coming to most of the world from this is something no one can do much about anyway. Those who can do something will make a real point of learning about it on their own, regardless.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I know some think that it isn't their problem, they don't live in Japan.

The funny thing about radiation, you don't see it, but it works its way though the entire ecosystem.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
10+ Sv/hr. Right.
Where is the source for that reading? It has to be a typo.
edit on 8/1/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Perhaps you should read the link provided.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Good question!

www.bloomberg.com...

Geiger counters, used to detect radioactivity, registered more than 10 sieverts an hour, the highest reading the devices are able to record, Junichi Matsumoto, a general manager at the utility, said today. The measurements were taken at the base of the main ventilation stack for reactors No. 1 and No. 2.

And the obligatory opinion follows.....

...“I suspect the high radiation quantity was an aftermath of venting done,” Matsumoto told reporters in Tokyo. “The plant is not running. I don’t think any gas with high radiation level is flowing in the stack.”...

He suspects, and thinks..... well... that's something to feel warm and fuzzy about, no?
edit on 1-8-2011 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by MidnightTide

Could be a translation error.
10 Sv/hr is pretty near unbelievable.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightTide
I know some think that it isn't their problem, they don't live in Japan.

The funny thing about radiation, you don't see it, but it works its way though the entire ecosystem.

The bad thing is, it's so hard to detect a couple of simple particles that may have traveled the thousands of miles across to where we live. I can't be sure if the rain here is safe or hot. I can't be sure if the food I eat is safe or hot. I can't even be sure the air is completely free of this stuff. I can do my best to mitigate the potential hazards, but I'd look paranoid then. To this day I still refuse to go into the rain, and if I do have to, it's for as little time as possible. It's a sad day when it comes to having to avoid going out in the rain for fear of not knowing whether or not it's safe. When I look out and see the rain falling on the grass, running off the roof of my house, and collecting on the ground it looks perfectly safe. But, I realize that it's still slightly possible that it could be contaminated. I want to think where I live is immune to such a disaster, but I know that there's really nothing different where I live when compared to the people who live in Japan or Chernobyl. They could have looked out their window the day before a disaster and saw the exact same sight I'm looking at and had to evacuate the very next day. It's almost a chilling feeling that comes from thinking about how possible that sort of situation is for any of us.

Thanks for bringing this article to ATS, if only it weren't necessary.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Things are only getting worse and worse at Fukushima. Radiation counters located at west LA pick up numbers larger then those found on the same coast as fukushima in japan. However these numbers in japan have all been faked. i have recieved this information form physicists working on the plant itself. Things are truely only getting worse at Fukushima, pray for them

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Tepco sent three workers around the ventilation stack today after a gamma camera detected high radioactivity levels in the area yesterday, Matsumoto said. The workers were exposed to as much as 4 millisieverts during the work, he said.

www.bloomberg.com...

The numbers don't make sense. If the radiation level was 10 Sv/hr. The workers could have only been there for a few thousandths of a second.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Yes, it is more then likely the results are not as serious as suggested (that it is from the venting) but I believe there is a cover up as to how bad this tragedy was and is.

I know that slowly but surely this radiation is making its way into the food supply, and no one wants to eat anything radioactive.
edit on 1-8-2011 by MidnightTide because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
What? Wow......that is an outrage!

I hope this was made in error. Will keep coming back in hopes for a clear answer as this is just unbelievable!

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I agree... it is inconsistent....

But mis-translating that number seems unlikely. I would be more inclined to think the guy mis-spoke (fatigue maybe?) because he even acknowledged that the monitors spiked to the maximum point of measurement.

But at 10 Sieverts per hour, people should be fleeing for their lives, no?

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Perhaps it is time to exile them all, starting with that moron from MIT, to Fukushima where the radiation measured at the base of the main ventilation stack just hit an all time high 10 sieverts/hour. The truth likely is much uglier: this is simply the highest reading the devices are able to record.

I used to check this link every few days to see what was happening at Fukushima radiation-wise:

atmc.jp...

It's my understanding that these are the "official" readings coming from the Japanese authorities. On July 3rd the reading jumped from less than 50 Sv/h to over 250 Sv/h in reactor 1, and it hasn't been updated since. It's not clear from the site as to where these readings are measured, but these numbers are much higher than the 10 Sv/h mentioned in the article.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

At 10 Sv/hr. If you're there it's too late.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by Maxmars

Tepco sent three workers around the ventilation stack today after a gamma camera detected high radioactivity levels in the area yesterday, Matsumoto said. The workers were exposed to as much as 4 millisieverts during the work, he said.

www.bloomberg.com...

The numbers don't make sense. If the radiation level was 10 Sv/hr. The workers could have only been there for a few thousandths of a second.

I'm sorry if this doesn't fit your nice fluffy rose tinted world view phage but tepco have been caught out blatantly lying and fudging the numbers so often that I have to take everything they say about the doses the workers have received with a whole sackful of salt

Oh and a few thousandths of a second is all you'd get me there for before I ran screaming for the lead lined room that I'd imagine that the managers hide in.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by yellowbeard

Rosy? Really?

All I said is that there seems to be a discrepancy between the two statements.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join