It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Herschel Telescope Detects Oxygen Molecules in Space

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
This is an interesting find in the field of astrophysics. Oxygen has been previously found in space, but only as individual atoms.

This new discovery has proven that oxygen can exist as a diatomic molecule in space. It is the same stuff that we breathe.

Goldsmith and his colleagues propose that oxygen is locked up in water ice that coats tiny dust grains. They think the oxygen detected by Herschel in the Orion nebula was formed after starlight warmed the icy grains, releasing water, which was converted into oxygen molecules.

"This explains where some of the oxygen might be hiding," said Goldsmith. "But we didn't find large amounts of it, and still don't understand what is so special about the spots where we find it. The universe still holds many secrets."

I don't really know if this is significant in any way, other than proving that maybe oxygen is commonplace on many planets or moons thus leading to the possibility of life

Herschel Telescope Detects Oxygen Molecules in Space

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Nice!
Now, let's see we've found that in the "emptiness" of deep space there is:

1. Water
  2. Diatomic Oxigen
  3. Pre-RNA aminoacids
  4. Several compounds key to Life
  5. Millions and Millions (thanks carl) of planets

So, yeah...
The universe provides everything necesary for Life to rise from inorganics...
There probably are dudes out there... And some of them surely are completely furious with those who say "there could be life outside Betelgeuse!"

Cool topic, S&F!

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I wish I had something to add but I don't ....

Very cool!!!! ♥ S&F!

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   

"This explains where some of the oxygen might be hiding," said Goldsmith. "But we didn't find large amounts of it, and still don't understand what is so special about the spots where we find it. The universe still holds many secrets."

Here is a picture of the types of spots where they "find it."

From an article at JPL

jpl.nasa article

David Grouchy

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8e749a9e4578.png[/atsimg]

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   
In the Universe Oxygen (8) is the third most abundant element, followed only by Hydrogen (1), and Helium (2). Things like Neon (10) and Nitrogen (7) are more abundant than Carbon (6).

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Oh, here's a link

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
This is a very interesting article and adds some possibility that oxygen may be able to be harvested in space for long space trips. I think what I am getting from this is that there may be planets capable of producing oxygen and when their atmosphere depletes it is sent into space. Either that or there is some life in space capable of producing oxygen.

top topics

join