It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

College students engaging in prostitution to pay huge loans

page: 1
6
<<   2  3  4 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
www.huffingtonpost.com...

It's a five page story with a short video so it's a bit of a read. I realize prostitution is the worlds oldest profession, but it's a sad state when our women are resorting to this to get there college degrees. There is something wrong with the education system in both the cost of it and the lack of ethics. The example "sugar baby" is going to college for psychology, I would hardly want a shrink to be analyzing me with such activities in there past. I'm sure she's not the only one, who wants there children taught be an ex-prostitute? Who wants a medical exam from an ex-prostitute? If these women will do these illegal activities now, what won't they do in the future to get jobs, or get ahead in the jobs they do get? Universities should be a little more concerned with how they are getting paid than just getting paid. I think it should become common policy that students getting caught paying for there bills thru illegitimate means should be kicked out. Why would universities want to be connected to unethical behavior such as this. It doesn't say much for our society that are supposed best and brightest will do anything to get what they want.

EDIT: I would like to add that I'm not personally attacking the women who are doing this, I'm upset that it has come to this.
edit on 1-8-2011 by wiandiii because: for added content

edit on 2-8-2011 by Crakeur because: edited title for spelling




posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by wiandiii
 



I'm sure she's not the only one, who wants there children taught be an ex-prostitute? Who wants a medical exam from an ex-prostitute? Universities should be a little more concerned with how they are getting paid than just getting paid.


Having sexual intercourse for money somehow disqualifies what they have learned in school? This really isn't any different than the baby boomer generation getting married at 20 years old to people they didn't like. Just that in this case, the women aren't expected to put in 20-50 years for the payout.



posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I will agree with you though, that education should be free, or close to free. Without it, what do we have?





posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho
 


The point isn't the sex, the point is they are knowingly breaking the law, risking there future and there health, to be able just to go to college. This isn't so much a personal attack on the women who are resorting to this or there intelligence, but more of an attack on a society that has put people in a position where they feel they have no other choice. Its more of an attack on the eduction system that cares more about the bottom line than there students.
edit on 1-8-2011 by wiandiii because: for spelling



posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Who gives a crap if they prostituted themselves for a degree! It's pretty sad they have to go that route but that doesn't mean it affects their intelligence! Escort services are everywhere and many are legit and done in a business fashion, what do you care what people spend their money on or how they choose to pay for tuition. Do you have any idea how expensive it it? Some of use weren't born with a golden spoon in our mouths.

There are plenty of lazy ass people out there getting aid for school that could give a crap about that degree so some who don't have that luxury do other things to pay for it. I see no harm in it what so ever.

Don't knock it. I am exotic dancer and have paid my own tuition from doing so as have quite a few girls I work with. At least they are getting out there and doing something and not milking the system. A job is a job....whether you approve or not. If someone chooses to sell their body for sex that is their business not mine.

I don't care if my doctor was a prostitute, if she is a good doctor that all that matters. How she paid for her education is of no concern to me. She did it, that is what should matter.



posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by wiandiii
 


Yeah that's a pretty common story and has been for years. I guess I'm lucky I never had to resort to anything like prostitution of stripping to pay my bills when I was at university, especially because I was an international student so could not get loans or anything.

When I was studying the cheapest place to live I could find was $650AUD a month so it wasn't too bad I guess. I earned about $800AUD a month usually, so things were pretty uncomfortable in the finance.

The universities have become in the habit of treating its students like ATM machines. Not just international students either, but domestic ones as well. When really education should be in the heart of society and cherised like thus.

Need some kind of education revolution. I'm wondering what it's like in Russia, where I am headed next.



posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver
 


Its not a question of intelligence, but a question of ethics. If they lack the ethics to not break the law now, than they will more than likely not have the ethics to properly and safety do there jobs later. I would be worried they would be more susceptible to bribes and payoffs that could potentially affect other peoples lives in a negative way. As far as not being born with a golden spoon in your mouth to be able to afford college, that's a problem with all the subsidization of the college industry raising prices adding to the wage/slave paradigm.
edit on 1-8-2011 by wiandiii because: for content and spelling



posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by wiandiii
reply to post by boncho
 


The point isn't the sex, the point is they are knowingly breaking the law, risking there future and there health, to be able just to go to college. This isn't so much a personal attack on the women who are resorting to this, but more of an attack on a society that has put people in a position where they feel they have no other choice. Its more of an attack on the eduction system that cares more about the bottom line than there students.
edit on 1-8-2011 by wiandiii because: for spelling


Should it not be an attack on society that makes criminals out of something that goes on everyday. I don't know about you, but last time I checked, relationships aren't free.

And it is their future and their health.

Criminalizing something that predates written history makes no sense at all. Since the caveman asked a cavewoman to sleep with him in trade of his freshly killed mammoth, this has been going on forever.



posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho
 


This isn't a discussion on whether prostitution should be legal or not. It's just as much of an issue that people would have to resort to any illegal activity just to get an education.



posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver

Don't knock it. I am exotic dancer and have paid my own tuition from doing so as have quite a few girls I work with. At least they are getting out there and doing something and not milking the system. A job is a job....whether you approve or not. If someone chooses to sell their body for sex that is their business not mine.




How degrading can women get?

This country is going down the crap hole....


No never been to a topless bar..

I don't support degradation..

Sorry we have different opinions..
edit on 1-8-2011 by hillynilly because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver
 


I just want to point out that the admitted dancer has much better spelling and grammar skills, and puts together a more understandable argument than does the OP who attacks her position.

Some of the crap Huffington Post prints is just...crap.


Oh yeah, meant to say maybe more of us should consider a job in adult entertainment so we can bring our composition skills up to stripper level.

edit on 1-8-2011 by Backslider because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho
 


You shouldn't have to pay 100,000 or more for a house either but, thanks to the big fat banker pigs we are.



posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by hillynilly
 


I would never go to a stripper bar either. If those men put that time and resources into there own relationships they wouldn't have to resort to those bars to see a naked lady.



posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by wiandiii
 


What about those of us that have gone to "stripper bars" with our girlfriends/wives?



posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Backslider
 


Your trolling adds nothing to this thread. Personal attacks are frowned upon on this site, I suggest you read the threads on manners expected out of members.



posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I don't care what these women do, but I think it is hilarious how much the distort definitions so they don't have to call themselves prostitutes.

At the end of the day, these men are paying them for sex and nothing else...the women are prostitutes.


I just find it very amusing.



posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by wiandiii
www.huffingtonpost.com...

It's a five page story with a short video so it's a bit of a read. I realize prostitution is the worlds oldest profession, but it's a sad state when our women are resorting to this to get there college degrees. There is something wrong with the education system in both the cost of it


And why did the cost of a"college education"skyrocket.?
"Economics".
There was plenty of money(govt money) thrown about.So the prices naturally inflated to absorb as much of it as possible. What if there were no govt grants? Think ordinary working people could afford $40-$50 $60,000 /year (?) of couse not Attendance would drop to "nil".
Prices would fall to more believable levels.
More funding is certainly not the answer.It created the problem.

Originally posted by wiandiii

and the lack of ethics. The example "sugar baby" is going to college for psychology, I would hardly want a shrink to be analyzing me with such activities in there past. I'm sure she's not the only one, who wants there children taught be an ex-prostitute? Who wants a medical exam from an ex-prostitute? If these women will do these illegal activities now, what won't they do in the future to get jobs, or get ahead in the jobs they do get? Universities should be a little more concerned with how they are getting paid than just getting paid. I think it should become common policy that students getting caught paying for there bills thru illegitimate means should be kicked out. Why would universities want to be connected to unethical behavior such as this. It doesn't say much for our society that are supposed best and brightest will do anything to get what they want.

EDIT: I would like to add that I'm not personally attacking the women who are doing this, I'm upset that it has come to this.
edit on 1-8-2011 by wiandiii because: for added content



posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Backslider
reply to post by wiandiii
 


What about those of us that have gone to "stripper bars" with our girlfriends/wives?


I would say that this relationship has some issues. I would end a relationship immediately if my woman would want to go look at other naked people. Some things should be left to your own bedroom.
edit on 1-8-2011 by wiandiii because: for content



posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by wiandiii
 


I typically don't make attacks, and I don't believe this was a personal attack. In this particular instance, my statement was very on topic by pointing out the irony in your post. You are claiming to have nothing against those that go this route, but you clearly display a bias against "stripper bars" and prostitutes. Your post is based on emotion, and me pointing out that the person who put herself through school with help from a dancing job is well written and obviously educated is relevant.

The only problem I can see with this happening is that prostitution is illegal and thus creates a shady and unsafe atmosphere for those involved. That is the worst thing about this.


edit on 1-8-2011 by Backslider because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by 46ACE
 


If you read all of the posts, you would see that I pointed out that subsidies have added to the cost of education. Nowhere do I suggest more subsidies.



new topics

top topics



 
6
<<   2  3  4 >>

log in

join