It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What does your internet browser say about your intelligence?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
A recent IQ test was given to 100,000 internet users and then grouped their scores according to their internet browser of choice.

It found that Internet Explorer users scored lower than average, while Chrome, Firefox and Safari users were very slightly above average. Camino, Opera and Internet Explorer with Chrome Frame were scored "exceptionally" high.

The overall chart shows that Firefox has the smallest percentage of low-IQ users, and the largest of average or high-IQ users. A similar study five years ago found that users had broadly similar IQs.

Me personally, I'm forced to use IE at work, It works just fine for me. At home, I've used IE, Firefox, and Safari and personally, outside of a better overall look, I've never seen an advantage to these and I find all the add-ons very annoying. In the end, they all take you to the same internet.

So what do you guys think? Does you're choice in browser reflect your IQ?

Full Story

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I believe this study, everyone I know that uses IE is a moron.

link   
I usually go back and forth between Opera, Firefox, and Chrome depending upon my mood. I guess that means my I.Q. varies depending upon my mood lol

link   
reply to post by amaster

I don't think your choice necessarily reflects your IQ, but rather your reasons for making that choice could have a reflection on your IQ.

I use Internet Explorer. I use it to download Firefox after installing/reinstalling Winders.
edit on 1-8-2011 by Backslider because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Maybe not Intelligence but computer knowledge.
IE is mostly used by people who have no clue about computers. They buy their PCs in a shop with everything pre-installed and don't care about safety, spyware and whatnot. So they use IE because it's already there.

The other browsers require a bit more searching and a bit more knowledge, something casual PC users don't have.

It's more obvious by the look of the browser. People who have no clue have propably 2-3 Searchbar from spywarecompanies or other software installed which eat ressources, they have all kinds of weird extensions installed they don't need and don't care about.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
omg, can you all read the article this time?

and its already being discussed here

now how smart are you?

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Forevever

now how smart are you?

Thank you for pointing out the other thread, but is that last rhetorical question really necessary?

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by amaster

I loved Firefox from the very beginning and prefer it mostly for its familiarity. You're right. Unless some browsers prohibit some access, it does not matter what the interface and button-clicking method One has to use. [smile]

S&F!

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Kevinquisitor

you're right, I was frustrated and rude

I apologize ♥

I'm beginning to think I'm the only intelligent person who uses internet explorer though - since I'm the only one taking offense to the article and the attitude its generating.
edit on 1-8-2011 by Forevever because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Backslider

I've heard many people say that. The only thing IE is good for is downloading Firefox/Chrome/Safari/etc.

9 out of 10 times, while on my home computer I'll run Firefox, but like I said, at work, I'm forced to use IE 7 because most of the programs we run online are not compatable with anything else. I'm actually blocked all together from running Safari at work. So I'm being forced into stupidity.

Honestly though, I think most people who use a PC probably don't even realise that there are other options out there, even though they've more than likely downloaded another broweser unknowingly.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowAngel85
Maybe not Intelligence but computer knowledge.
IE is mostly used by people who have no clue about computers. They buy their PCs in a shop with everything pre-installed and don't care about safety, spyware and whatnot. So they use IE because it's already there.

The other browsers require a bit more searching and a bit more knowledge, something casual PC users don't have.

It's more obvious by the look of the browser. People who have no clue have propably 2-3 Searchbar from spywarecompanies or other software installed which eat ressources, they have all kinds of weird extensions installed they don't need and don't care about.

This is the most logical explanation of this study..

I think you hit the nail right on the head buddy..

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   

reply to post by Kevinquisitor

I'm beginning to think I'm the only intelligent person who uses internet explorer though - since I'm the only one taking offense to the article and the attitude its generating.
edit on 1-8-2011 by Forevever because: (no reason given)

Okay, I withdraw my comment. I know one person that uses IE that isn't a moron.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadowAngel85

The article stated the participants took an IQ test, not a computer literacy test.

However, I will agree with you that (in my experience) people who use I.E. tend to know less about a computer than someone who uses another kind of browser.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Forevever

My apologies for reposting this. I didn't see the other thread.

On a side note, I'd like to see this study done based on political beliefs rather than intelligence. I wonder if there would be that big of a differance?

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

I think the most accurate description of this "study" is HOW SMART are the people who voluntarily took an internet IQ test.

Those numbers, it should be noted, probably aren't very scientific. The field of test-takers was self-selecting -- people who chose, on their own, to take an IQ test instead of a scientifically selected study group. They found the test through Web searches or ads the company placed online

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   

reply to post by boncho

I think the most accurate description of this "study" is HOW SMART are the people who voluntarily took an internet IQ test.

Those numbers, it should be noted, probably aren't very scientific. The field of test-takers was self-selecting -- people who chose, on their own, to take an IQ test instead of a scientifically selected study group. They found the test through Web searches or ads the company placed online

Well that would show that dumb IE users are more prone to take IQ tests I suppose.

edit on 1-8-2011 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by amaster

My apologies for reposting this. I didn't see the other thread.

On a side note, I'd like to see this study done based on political beliefs rather than intelligence. I wonder if there would be that big of a differance?

I got the impression this thread was more about whether the choice of browser made a difference in the end... Not so much about the data themselves.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Amaterasu

Thats exactly my problem with this study. It implies that EVERYONE who uses IE is "dumb". It fails to take into account any other factors at all. So now I feel like I have to justify why I use internet explorer.

When I probably should be justifying why I didn't take their online IQ test....

The only thing this test can really say, is that some people didn't know they had another option and/or didn't test out other browsers. And why would they? They already have one.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Agreed, there are a lot of factors which are not taken into account. The most obvious being, the age and frequency of use as well as their reason for chosing the browser they use.

Also I don't think you should have to defend your choice in broweser any more than you should defend your cocktail of choice. It's a personal preferance which in the end, will still get you drunk.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I Use IE

I work in IT if your careful when using the internet the choosen Browser doesnt actually matter!

i Dont have silly search bars installed, i dont have any real security issues, but then again i know what im doing....

I agree with some of the posters.. this surley comes down to computer knowledge rather than IQ

top topics

<<   2 >>

join