It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Charter intermittent connection.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I should start this off by saying im not tech savvy, so keep that in mind
For months now we, (me/parents) have been getting an intermittent connection to the internet from charter. My modem will sho everything is running well, no problems, then all of a sudden im off the internet, it maybe be for just 5 min or 5 hours, and it maybe happen every day many times a day or weeks in between. We have had a few techs from charter come out, replaced the modem (twice) , said something about they replaced a splitter? I wasn't here for that one, came out of the parents mouth. All have left claiming that their fix should do the trick, or left claiming they found no issue. Its rather annoying as it cuts into my browsing time ( I need my ats fix, daily). Were not sure what to do, I also have talked to a few other people around here and they are saying they have similar issues, yet charter assures me there are no local problems.
So ats techies, any ideas what I should do? Thanks for the help, also mods, if I chose the wrong forum, please feel free to move or do whatever with it, thanks!

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Thesickness

Without looking at your line/modem myself it's difficult to give you an exact answer, if your modem and microfilter (splitter) have been replaced then they can be ruled out of the equation.

I'd suggest looking at your internal wiring but that wouldn't be causing problems for anyone else around your area so we can knock that out of the way as well.

Are there certain times when your connection is more likely to drop? Or is it (as far as you know) completely random?

Do you live near a train line by any chance?

What type of connection have you got? ADSL or cable broadband ?

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I'm guessing you have a cable connection... Correct? .. This could be one of a few things.. You may need to call up your internet provider and have them boost the signal..

You mentioned a splitter, So it might be something as simple as the modem not getting enough "juice"..

It could also be due to bad wiring.. Or possibly cable provider issues.. To boost the signal a bit, i also recommend picking up a gold plated splitter, And a signal booster.. Both can be had for fairly cheap.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by TechVampyre

OP mentioned he's spoken to others area his area and they are having similar issues so I doubt it's going to be his internal wiring.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Death_Kron: Its fairly random, although it seems to happen more at night, but I can't be sure, I don't get to check as much during the day time. No I don't believe I live near one of those, and its a cable connection.

Techvampyre: You are correct. How would I go about this? When I do call all they want to do is send more tech guys out to address the problem, I have a hard time dealing with charter lol. Any clues to look for as to my modem not getting enough "juice"? Maybe a test online or on the computer itself somehow? Ill look into picking those things up, regularly paying for a service you intermittently get to use is annoying, so a few extra bucks spent couldn't hurt lol.

Thanks for the replies.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I'm not sure how to fix your issue, but I wanted to chime in and say Charter service is rather hard to deal with.

In my area it is the only thing available and I wish we had another option.

I get choppy signals some times, sloooow internet speed, and I recently upgraded to a hd//dvr box, and every now and then I get a buzz sound from my speakers and a purple and green line going up my screen.

Charter sucks right now lol

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   

I reckon any engineer worth his salt would have already replaced your splitter and inspected your hardware so doubt that's what causing you problems to be honest.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Also I should probably add that around a year or so ago this issue happened for around 2 months, although not as bad, but it seemed charter had fixed the issue (not at the house) and we had no problems for nearly a year if not more as I can't remember the date when this happened first. But now its been months, no fix and the problems are not located to my neighbors (many of them don't have internet, its rather an elderly neighborhood ), but a few people scattered across the city.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Sounds like they are just a crappy company then who offer a under par service.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

You hit the nail on the head there. When they first came out around here the service was so good, no problems with anything, but it seems that the more they expand, the worse they are getting.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   

You have two options; switch to another provider with a proven track record or keep complaining until they address your issues (good luck!)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

I'm thing its time for a change myself, thanks for the help!

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   

No problems, I hope you get it sorted

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Just call up the internet provider, And ask them to boost the signal coming in to your house.. You shouldn't have to go into detail.. It's not a unusual request..

I have done it many times in the past.. Most of the time they don't even ask why..

But still i highly recommend picking up the mentioned items.. A signal amplifier, and gold plated splitter should help the situation.. Not to mention you will probably notice improved picture on your TV as a added bonus.. .

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Agree with techvampyre. Also, here's someone who found a little-known synflood trick.

Charter Packet Loss (Tom's Hardware site)[source]

Packet Loss FIX

ISP: Charter Communications
Modem/Router Model: Motorola SURFBoad SBG941

-Open a web browser (firefox, chrome, internet explorer, safari) and type in your gateway IP. In my case its 192.168.0.1 (ipconfig on cmd to make sure)
-Default username is admin and password is motorola
-Click on the "Firewall" tab and look for an option called IP Flood Detection and uncheck it
-Restart the modem/router preferably
-Go to pingtest.net... and test your A grade quality internet!

Enjoy!

edit on 8/1/2011 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join