It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"If the Republic Had Not Died A Long Time Ago, This Would Indeed Be the Death of the Republic"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
This pretty much sums up what is happening in Washington with the current political mess.

Looking at the "deal" being formed to solve the "debt ceiling crisis," I thought it was appropriate to break out the old headline I used a few years ago. The current reference, of course, is to the extraordinary "special committee" or "Super Congress" which the deal intends to establish. This is an unaccountable politburo which will be able to circumvent all normal democratic (and republican) principles and issue budget-slashing, tax-cutting legislation that cannot be debated or amended, but simply approved or rejected by the rest of the now-powerless representatives and senators.

That's not all. If the politburo -- handpicked members split evenly between the two gangs of thieves and poltroons that now hold sway on Capitol Hill -- can't agree on just how much they want to gut the budget and cut taxes for the rich, why then, this will trip a series of "triggers" which will automatically start gutting, slashing and cutting, without any vote by the democratically elected representatives whatsoever. And surely it would be superfluous in me to point out that these unaccountable "superpowers" will soon stretch to cover other areas of legislation beyond budgeting and taxes.

Source Article

Obama had many options for avoiding this "crisis," long before it came to a head. He didn't take those options because, like all good disaster capitalists, he wanted and needed a crisis of this sort to enact the brutal economic agenda he has openly advocated from the beginning. The result, of course, will be further impoverishment and diminishment in the lives of millions of ordinary people, for years to come -- and, ironically, the eventual collapse of the monstrous system that supports the ravenous elite that Obama serves with such panache.

History affords few examples of the political elite of a country committing such an act of national suicide in order to protect the already super-rich from the slightest impingement of their already colossal fortunes.

Original Article

I can't really think of anything more to add, except I am sad to see this happening. And I keep hoping for the best to happen.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
It's simply a trigger for Congress to act and do their job which they apparantly cannot do themselves. It is not unchangeable and how do you figure the members of Congress are hand-picked? Any proof of that or are you just spouting conspiracy stuff with no evidence.

I for one think it's a good thing that Congress is taking this issue seriously and backing themselves up to the edge of a cliff and I will look for precedent by past Congress's on this as i'm sure it's happened before, I just can't recall the instances at the moment.

Would you prefer Congress does nothing and continues down the same path we've been on which obviously doesn't work.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
No I would not prefer congress to do nothing. I would prefer them to grow up, stand up and do what is needed and right. The compromise was worked out by a committee and is being forced on the public. Several plans were proposed that were better as far as I can see from my reading. This has been done as a perceived plan to prevent default, and pay the bills. This looks to me as though we are continuing down the same path as always, just deferring doing anything.

What I would like to see is congress dump this (for the right reasons), start over, and get it right. If that's possible. Obama would then be forced to raise the debt ceiling by executive decree. Yep his butt would be out in the breeze as I doubt it's legal. And everyone would come out looking like fools, again.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
the republic died long time ago we're just now figuring that out.

may she rest in peace

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Yeah I know, but I keep hoping.

Silly me I guess.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by barkingdogamato

i watch alot of movies so i will say this from the terminator series of movies

"theres no fate but what we make"

cheesy but true