It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Human Race is Being Bored to Death... Bring on the Apocolypse!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Violetshy

I think that modern living is to blame too.

There are too many people lumped together in one place.

This creates practical problems

Someone must get rid of the trash, deliver post, stack the shelves, press those computer keys, all mundane necessary evils to keep the wheels of society going.

However this breeds boredom and dissillusionment with the whole thing.

It negates our spirituality, and is a fake, unnatural environment that dulls creativity, hems you in like a caged tiger, making you dream for jungles, forrests, pastures and big skies.

Freedom

Maybe in the end boredom will wake us up hey?

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by CrankyPantsUK

Maybe Nihilism is a better description.

The term nihilism is sometimes used in association with anomie to explain the general mood of despair at a perceived pointlessness of existence that one may develop upon realizing there are no necessary norms, rules, or laws.[2] Movements such as Futurism and deconstruction,[3] among others, have been identified by commentators as "nihilistic" at various times in various contexts.
Nihilism is also a characteristic that has been ascribed to time periods: for example, Jean Baudrillard and others have called postmodernity a nihilistic epoch,[4] and some Christian theologians and figures of religious authority have asserted that postmodernity[5] and many aspects of modernity[3] represent a rejection of theism, and that such a rejection entails some form of nihilism.

en.wikipedia.org...

I am not a religious man myself, but there was a time when religion brought communities together. There was a time when no shops would be open on a Sunday. Now families instead of going to church and being part of their community, go to the out of town shopping stores and worship at the alter of consumerism.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Yeah

I know people who have lived next door to each other for years and not spoke once.

I find that really sad.

Nobody wants to make an effort it seems.

I think that is fear based or laziness created by people soo bored and dulled down that they just cant be botherd

I see that at work too.

And the boredom at work creates office politics, gossip and ill feeling.

Relating seems like a lost skill, but covering ones ass and hiding under the radar are a must skill to have.

Fear has a lot to answer for, and its friend boredom are leeching the life and spirit out of society as well as any cancer.

Nihlism is the hopeless last gasp of a dead race.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Cranky, if what you say is true, I would suggest all of these "bored" people you speak of get off their a---es and make their OWN excitement by taking some steps to change our current state of affairs in our corrupt governments. Why don't they make their own action instead of waiting for someone to BRING action to them?

While these bored humans are at it, maybe they should look at themselves and think of ways they might be able to change their own thoughts and behaviors to make life on earth a little more exciting and beneficial for us all?
edit on 1-8-2011 by NightGypsy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

I am not a religious man myself, but there was a time when religion brought communities together. There was a time when no shops would be open on a Sunday. Now families instead of going to church and being part of their community, go to the out of town shopping stores and worship at the alter of consumerism.

I would submit that people aren't choosing consumerism over religion. People aren't choosing religion because organized religion is based on false beliefs about God that paint our creator as a ego-maniac who contradicts everything he is supposed to represent. Eventually, humanity had to wake up to this fact, and as a consequence, organized religion is losing it's appeal......as well as it's ability to maintain cohesiveness in our communities.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Roger Waters - 'Amused To Death'

[color=E0FFFF]"This species has amused itself to death"

[color=95B9C7]And out in the valley warm and clean
The little ones sit by their TV screens
No thoughts to think
No tears to cry
All sucked dry
Down to the very last breath

[color=95B9C7]Bartender what is wrong with me?
Why am I so out of breath?
The captain said excuse me ma'am
This species has amused itself to death

[color=95B9C7]We watched the tragedy unfold
We did as we were told
We bought and sold
[color=E0FFFF]It was the greatest show on earth
[color=95B9C7]But then it was over
We oohed and aahed
We drove our racing cars
We ate our last few jars of caviar
And somewhere out there in the stars
A keen-eyed look-out
Spied a flickering light
Our last hurrah!!
Our last hurrah!!

[color=95B9C7]And when they found our shadows
Grouped around the TV sets
They ran down every lead
They repeated every test
They checked out all the data on their lists
And then the alien anthropologists
Admitted they were still perplexed

[color=E0FFFF]But on eliminating every other reason
For our sad demise
They logged the only explanation left
This species has amused itself to death

edit on 8/1/11 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by NightGypsy

Cranky, if what you say is true, I would suggest all of these "bored" people you speak of get off their a---es and make their OWN excitement by taking some steps to change our current state of affairs in our corrupt governments. Why don't they make their own action instead of waiting for someone to BRING action to them?

While these bored humans are at it, maybe they should look at themselves and think of ways they might be able to change their own thoughts and behaviors to make life on earth a little more exciting and beneficial for us all?

Apathy?

Why bother?

Its not worth it?

Nothing changes but goes round and around in huge circles?

Fear?

The fact that fear has isolated us from each other?

There are many reasons I suppose

Down right laziness is another

Created by a bored generation whose attention is small, who is distracted by crap and has lost its way.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   

haha, maybe the non academic community is bored to death, but us researchers have our hands full over here.

You can go have your apocalypse, and hopefully your next of kin will enter our fields.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by fordrew

haha, maybe the non academic community is bored to death, but us researchers have our hands full over here.

You can go have your apocalypse, and hopefully your next of kin will enter our fields.

Welcome fellow researcher!

Assume much??

How do you know im not an academic?

This is MY research and is a generalisation, not a commentary of each individual human being.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Broken Circles

you took the words (or the song lyrics) right out of my mouth!

edit on 1-8-2011 by wheelzoffire because: I forgot to put the posters name in my post

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by davidgrouchy

Hey David

Sorry I missed your post.

Your mom had the right idea.

She forced you to develop your brain muscle and imagination in a healthy, none stuck behind an xbox way, but outside in the sun.

The media/advertising have made "being bored" almost a crime to sell there crap which may or may not be "the cure" to this deadly boredom so that now we have a generation being permanantly plugged into multi media, being fed crap, forming opinions of whats popular rather than having socratic reasoning skills to form their own individual opinion.

Its like information overload on the brain.

The brain is a computer itself, and just like a computer, too much information causes it to crash.

In our kids case this manifests as populist opinions being the only excepted ones.

That is an obvious generalization.

But its out there

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
"Idle hands are the Devil's tools"

It's true, when you stay busy, there's less time to concern yourself with things that either don't really matter in the great scheme of life or that aren't any of your business.

I find myself most anxious and looking for issues when there's really nothing serious to worry about.
edit on 1/8/2011 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by NightGypsy

"I would submit that people aren't choosing consumerism over religion. People aren't choosing religion because organized religion is based on false beliefs about God that paint our creator as a ego-maniac who contradicts everything he is supposed to represent. Eventually, humanity had to wake up to this fact, and as a consequence, organized religion is losing it's appeal......as well as it's ability to maintain cohesiveness in our communities."

With all due respect, just where do you think that you have learned this from? Who do you think taught you that lesson? Who had the most to gain by teaching you, along with these last two generations, that religion is based on false beliefs about God? Wise up - the same ones that are soon taking over this world. The same ones that hate God and his son Jesus Christ. Take away the glue that holds communities together and you just have pieces blowing in the wind.

According to John 1 v.10-11, "He was in the world, and though the world was made through him, the world did not recognize him. He came to that which was his own, but his own did not receive him." "Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God." (v.12)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Reborn left to sigh, recure maybe I'll Be born and simplify - The way I lie - Before I get bored, I get bored, I get bored I'm bored

Awesome song, actually about something else but seemed fitting.

Honestly I'd tend to agree with the OP. The life for most people in the western world is too boring. Everything is automated, taken care of, nothing is personal anymore.

edit on 1-8-2011 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-8-2011 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
lol I wrote something similar on my face book page it was " Wish it was judgement day Im bored) what a coinkydink

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Deleted
edit on 1-8-2011 by CrankyPantsUK because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by WhoKnows100

With all due respect, just where do you think that you have learned this from? Who do you think taught you that lesson? Who had the most to gain by teaching you, along with these last two generations, that religion is based on false beliefs about God? Take away the glue that holds communities together and you just have pieces blowing in the wind. According to John 1 v.10-11, "He was in the world, and though the world was made through him, the world did not recognize him. He came to that which was his own, but his own did not receive him." "Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God." (v.12)

With all due respect, quoting scriptures from The Bible serves no purpose in proving I'm wrong, and it does even less to prove you are right.

What makes you assume someone "taught" me to believe what I said in my earlier post? Those are my opinions based on my personal experience and knowledge of these matters. You can choose to agree or not, but rushing to point the finger at some perceived "boogey man God hater" you think has instructed me on these beliefs does nothing but show me that you are fearful.

I think you don't like the fact that people are able to form opinions like mine using their own intuition, their own mind, and their own life experiences, so you have to create a fictional bad guy that MUST be going around brainwashing people to hate God. I can see the need for you to have such a bad guy, because it gives you an excuse not to explore the many contradictions you know exist in the ideologies of your religion.

My friend, religion is most assuredly NOT "the glue that holds communities together" as you claim. On the contrary, organized religion has been at the HELM of this ship that has sailed us straight into this separatist society we have become. We are not less community-oriented because people "hate" God or Jesus. And before you retort with a comment that implies I am attacking God, let me assure you God had nothing to do with this. It has been man's false beliefs about what God is, and supposedly wants, that has been the problem.

In reference to this scripture you provided:

According to John 1 v.10-11, "He was in the world, and though the world was made through him, the world did not recognize him. He came to that which was his own, but his own did not receive him." "Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God." (v.12)

Why would God, the creator of all that is, and who is the very essence of love ITSELF, have expectations of us to recognize him or "receive him?" Why would he need anything from us at all, when he created all THAT IS?

If you are content to live with the contradiction of a loving, tolerant, patient God who can also possesses an ego that requires he be worshiped and obeyed under threat of eternal hell, that is your choice. However, it is absurd to expect others to.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Violetshy

I agree with you completely. The thing is, we aren't actually bored, we are just not being allowed to be who we were meant to be.

Think about it. If each person felt that they were being allowed to live up to their potential, would we even be having this conversation? Something, somewhere, somehow has de-railed us. We find ourselves in an almost subservient position. Is this what we were created to be? I think not.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Yes, I agree completely. We (or many of us, anyway) are beginning to realize that some of the old tactics aren't working anymore and this is going to be a thorn in someone's side, right?

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   

You have expressed my thoughts perfectly. These are the same questions I have been asking since I was six years old. It helps me know that I am not the only one with this viewpoint.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join