It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grocery Store Employess Told To Put The Bad Food Out For The Welfare Bums

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
I'm sorry, but there are no pictures and no recordings to act as proof to back this one up.
A stock boy at a local grocery store in a small town in Canada has been trained to put the old and perishing, or perished, foods out at the first and twentieth of every month. He was told to put them out at those times for the "Welfare Bums". The first being welfare day, the twentieth being baby bonus. The employee was trained to do this because the poor welfare recipients will buy the bad food, since they have to stretch their food for a whole month The people with money, however, wont buy the bad food, so the good food gets put out for the remainder of the month.

While I VERY much disagree with someone sitting on their arse collecting free welfare money when they are fully capable of working, I DO disagree that the children of these "Bums" have no say in the matter, but will be eating crap food, or go hungry because the food goes bad before they have a chance to eat it. I also recognize that there ARE legitimate cases for welfare recipients, and the life of a single mother can be extremely difficult. These innocent cases are destined to eat garbage.

I know "times are tough" all around, and the grocery store owners perhaps have to make poor judgement calls to make every cent they can. But if times are so tough that the poor are being forced to eat the perished food, then it's time to turn all those lush grassy flowery lawns into crops of vegetables.
All I can suggest for those who are genuinely FORCED to survive off of government welfare or baby bonus is find your local farmers market and grow your own.
Peace and One Love.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
no sources needed IMHO

Thats why I always purchase things from the back of row, rather than the front, and double check expiration dates.

Its an old trick, not just for welfare recipients anymore! (I also worked retail, so I have some experience in the matter)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Wait, they actually make the people PAY for the 'bad' food?

At first I thought you were meaning they put the food out for people to take for free, which is much better because if you have ever heard of dumpster diving, a lot of people scavenge for food that would otherwise be wasted by supermarkets. But it's illegal, so if someone were to implement a plan where they could leave it out for free taking that would be great.

But making people pay for the excess stuff they couldn't sell is sickening. It is money-grabbing and selfish, not to mention disrespectful.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by DeepThoughtCriminal

The sad part is they'll try to convince you after the fact, that the expiration date is just a guideline. It doesn't really mean the food has gone bad... its just an indicator of when the supplier is supposed to rotate stock...

Seriously.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Forevever

Well I tested this theory, albeit inadvertently. I found a real deal on yougurt that was close to the expiration date and bought lots of it. It's well sealed and refrigerated, and even though it's past the exp. date, it's as good as you could want it to be.

On the other hand, I bought frozen pork steaks. Ater being properly cooked, I
after the third bite. It sure tasted like poop on the way back up. I've notified the store manager that I'm sending it in for analysis.
edit on 1-8-2011 by aboutface because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Scorpitarius

I DO disagree that the children of these "Bums" have no say in the matter, but will be eating crap food, or go hungry because the food goes bad before they have a chance to eat it.

Give me a break. People in this forum are always crying how "if the world didn't throw away all the food it doesn't sell everyone would have an abundant food supply"

Nobody can win can they? Either you are starving the poor people or you are feeding them rotten food. God help everyone if they try and keep their business running.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   

The employee was trained to do this because the poor welfare recipients will buy the bad food, since they have to stretch their food for a whole month The people with money, however, wont buy the bad food, so the good food gets put out for the remainder of the month.

The food is obviously heavily discounted, otherwise those people could just go into the aisles that contain the food without lapsed expiry dates...

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by aboutface

I don't doubt you on the meat.

I've bought meat that was supposedly fresh, came home, opened it up, all nasty and brown in the middle.

The problem with that though is its a store issue. In most cases, that meat was packaged in the store from bulk, rather than the yogurt which was delivered.

But I'm definitely always wary of the meat I buy. I check it thoroughly when I get it home and repackage it for freezing. Thats one area of paranoia I'll never give up!

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

That's the problem. When dealing with meat or vegetables, their are no other isles or alternatives. So its not that "first" the poor are being starved then "second" their being fed garbage food. It's eat the garbage food or starve.
Peace and One Love

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Another issue that ties in to all of this is that most vegetables are picked too early, before they are ripe. They then ripen over a couple days as they are delivered to various grocery stores.
Once the consumer has the veggie home, they go bad faster.
Peace and One Love

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I believe this could be very true, but I'd like to see something published from a news source.

This reminds me of a friend of mine, until recently he worked in IT but was laid off. He got an emergency job at the Wal-Mart deli. Every couple of days they have a ton of meat and dairy they throw away. According to my friend, some of it is not expired and nearly all of it would be ok to store and eat for a few more days.

He asked if he could take it to a local shelter, he was told no. So Wal-Mart would rather throw this food away than give it to the less fortunate.

I think these types of problems exist all over - Seems some very small tweaks in the way companies do business could be really helpful to alot of people.
edit on 1-8-2011 by Backslider because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Backslider

thats not even funny man (figure of speech, not meaning you were trying to be funny)

You should've seen the toys we threw away after xmas at walmart

they went into the compactor so there was no rescuing them

I never did get a straight answer why they weren't donated .... it made me sick though

I can't remember what they told me for sure, something about "we already donate X" ... but there was more to it than that - maybe it'll come to me - I'll post again if I remember.
edit on 1-8-2011 by Forevever because: clarity

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Backslider

The reason Walmart said no is because they are not allowed, by law, to give food away to the homeless. They would have to register it as a charitable donation. Tim Hortons is the same way. They throw away tons of donuts, bagels and etcetera...they are not allowed to give it away.
Peace and One Love

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   

oh maybe that was it! thats why we threw away the toys because of laws?
gross.... more gross than the bad food they try to sell....

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Scorpitarius
Another issue that ties in to all of this is that most vegetables are picked too early, before they are ripe. They then ripen over a couple days as they are delivered to various grocery stores.
Once the consumer has the veggie home, they go bad faster.
Peace and One Love

That's actually why frozen vegetables are better for you. The nutrients are locked in as they are frozen right after harvest. You always have the option of shopping at the local farmer's market too, if you city has one.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Scorpitarius
reply to post by boncho

That's the problem. When dealing with meat or vegetables, their are no other isles or alternatives. So its not that "first" the poor are being starved then "second" their being fed garbage food. It's eat the garbage food or starve.
Peace and One Love

Something is wrong with this story, because plenty of hard working people are paid and go shopping on the first of the month. So I am confused as to how the meat section is entirely replaced so welfare people can only buy meat that is about to spoil....

Also, does the meat only go bad once a month? Because my grocery store has a section for discounted meats and it refilled weekly. There are also notices that it should be consumed sooner than non-discounted meat.
edit on 1-8-2011 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Maybe I'm dense, but I do not understand this situation. What's the big deal about forming a small non-profit operation whose job it is to distribute the extra stuff to those whose tummies are empty? The NPO outfit would have a registered charitable number, but not the main business. Is this not possible? Something intelligent should really be done very soon in this regard. In the meantime, a local church in my area gathers extras from restaurants and holds a free lunch on Tuesdays, open to anyone who wants to eat. Am I missing an important legal issue?

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Hell in England it's a well known practice of any supermarket that offers home delivery, doesn't matter how affluent you are..If you buy fresh produce on the net and have it delivered you can bet it will be the most sad looking half rotten stuff they are desperate to get shut of.

new topics

top topics

join