It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newsflash!! Obama Proposed Social Security Cuts In Debt Talks, Not Republicans

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Otherwise known as "throwing him under the bus". I could grow to like this Conyers fella.
Not surprising, really. Everyone is now playing the "I have to save my constituency" game by turning on each other. Politics is fun.

/TOA

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by David9176
reply to post by jibeho

This is nothing new. He had already put them on the table earlier in negotiations.

What's going to happen now?

The special committee that they are setting is up is going to recommend changing how much benefits seniors receive, and it's also going to raise the age you can draw from 65 to 67.

There are some Democrats completely against this, and I'm betting there are some Republicans who also wouldn't dare voting on a such a measure.

In any regard, the elderly, sick, and poor are going to have to take the hits to pay for tax cuts that were never actually payed for...along with 2 wars.

Many of the posters here sat idly by as Bush ran up the deficits, passed Medicare part D which has put it in huge debt. IMO I believe it was passed to destroy it.

Obama is playing with fire with regards to S.S. The elderly are fired up and will do their best to get out the vote this coming cycle. I have never seen my 67 year old dad so fired up about politics and the games that are being played.

Our nation has been in deficit spending mode for 40 years with each president just piling on a little more. Obama however has set two "FIRSTS" with his administration. The $1.9 trillion debt ceiling hike of 2010 was a record breaker just as this $2.4 trillion will be only a year later. Clearly there is a problem with no reasonable end in sight. There are so many ways to cut spending without ever considering S.S. cuts.

The question remains, which votes are more important to Obama now and to his party in the long run??

<< 1   >>

join