It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Latest Picture of Comet Elenin, STEREO-B Will Capture First Today

page: 3
34
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
"Comet Elenin will not encounter any dark bodies that could perturb its orbit, nor will it influence us in any way here on Earth," said Yeomans. "It will get no closer to Earth than 35 million kilometers [about 22 million miles]. "

"Comet Elenin will not only be far away, it is also on the small side for comets," said Yeomans. "And comets are not the most densely-packed objects out there. They usually have the density of something akin to loosely packed icy dirt.

"So you've got a modest-sized icy dirtball that is getting no closer than 35 million kilometers," said Yeomans. "It will have an immeasurably miniscule influence on our planet. By comparison, my subcompact automobile exerts a greater influence on the ocean's tides than comet Elenin ever will."
www.jpl.nasa.gov...

so we have Elenin pasing at 0.26 au...

what happened to all the fear mongering for....


Comet Hyakutake
Perihelion distance: 0.23019 AU
Perihelion date: 01 May 1996 UT 09:30 (5:30 AM EDT)
Closest approach to Earth: 0.1 AU
Date of closest approach to Earth: 25 March 1996
nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov...


or
Hale-Bopp
Perihelion distance: 0.9141 AU
Perihelion date: 01 April 1997 UT 03:19 (31 March 22:19 EST)
Closest approach to Earth: 1.3 AU
Date of closest approach to Earth: 22 March 1997
nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov...


maybe because we did not have as much access to the internet?


edit on 1-8-2011 by Highlander64 because: spelling




posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by DarthPhobos
 

The "rotation" is because Dawn is orbiting the asteroid.
The striations are interesting.

edit on 8/1/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I believe this list to be of interest to you guys
neo.jpl.nasa.gov...

closest commet coming to earth in near future:
ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...
edit on 1-8-2011 by Amassuo because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Highlander64
"Comet Elenin will not encounter any dark bodies that could perturb its orbit, nor will it influence us in any way here on Earth," said Yeomans. "It will get no closer to Earth than 35 million kilometers [about 22 million miles]. "

"Comet Elenin will not only be far away, it is also on the small side for comets," said Yeomans. "And comets are not the most densely-packed objects out there. They usually have the density of something akin to loosely packed icy dirt.

"So you've got a modest-sized icy dirtball that is getting no closer than 35 million kilometers," said Yeomans. "It will have an immeasurably miniscule influence on our planet. By comparison, my subcompact automobile exerts a greater influence on the ocean's tides than comet Elenin ever will."
www.jpl.nasa.gov...

so we have Elenin pasing at 0.26 au...

what happened to all the fear mongering for....


Comet Hyakutake
Perihelion distance: 0.23019 AU
Perihelion date: 01 May 1996 UT 09:30 (5:30 AM EDT)
Closest approach to Earth: 0.1 AU
Date of closest approach to Earth: 25 March 1996
nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov...


or
Hale-Bopp
Perihelion distance: 0.9141 AU
Perihelion date: 01 April 1997 UT 03:19 (31 March 22:19 EST)
Closest approach to Earth: 1.3 AU
Date of closest approach to Earth: 22 March 1997
nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov...


maybe because we did not have as much access to the internet?


edit on 1-8-2011 by Highlander64 because: spelling



quote
"comet Elenin will not encounter any dark bodies that could perturb its orbit"

thats good,, cause G19+03 had me a little worried there,,,whewwwwww,,


"encounter any dark bodies"

that is what he meant right?
edit on 1-8-2011 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by BobAthome
 


I think he is alluding to the "brown dwarf star/niburu" element - the article is written in response to the barrage of Elenin doomsday articles/vids on the net, IMHO



posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Highlander64
reply to post by BobAthome
 


I think he is alluding to the "brown dwarf star/niburu" element - the article is written in response to the barrage of Elenin doomsday articles/vids on the net, IMHO


ya "element" thats what i meant,, cause g19 was the daddy,,and g19+03 was just a little sliver,,so too speak.



posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Highlander64
 

"Dark body" is a term sometimes applied to comets and asteroids.
He's referring to speculation that during its pass through the asteroid belt the comet could be diverted and become a danger to Earth.
Speculation like this:

3. Comet Elenin’s orbit may be unstable as it may encounter some dark bodies, for example, in the asteroid belt or even some Taurid objects. What would happen in those cases is a matter of luck.

solarwatch.wordpress.com...

Didn't happen.

edit on 8/1/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
I barely know you, since I only have some 25-odd posts, but...

Phage, stop being at least really close to correct on things, it's driving the doomsayer in me mad.



posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by endgame211
 


Page once said no its 1.4 sec not 2 secs,,, so u know he is,,, utter correct!

ohh and welcome

didn't happen. correct! 100%

yet,,,



edit on 2-8-2011 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Highlander64
 




so we have Elenin pasing at 0.26 au...


Cheers, good to know it made it through the asteroid belt unaltered.




posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Pictures end animation of comet Elenin from STEREO B ..


As Comet Elenin passed to within just 7 million kilometers of the STEREO (Behind) spacecraft, NASA rolled the spacecraft to take a look at it (Aug. 1, 2011) with its wide angle HI-2 instrument.


stereo.gsfc.nasa.gov...

stereo.gsfc.nasa.gov...

stereo.gsfc.nasa.gov...
edit on 2-8-2011 by Dalke07 because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   






posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Nothing strange, on animation you can see all ..

Here is "one" of best explanation but all is oke with comet lo0ks normal ..




edit on 2-8-2011 by Dalke07 because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dalke07
Nothing strange, on animation you can see all ..

Here is "one" of best explanation but all is oke with comet lo0ks normal ..




edit on 2-8-2011 by Dalke07 because: (no reason given)


is there any more animation expected? it's just that the 'background' star/s seem to get brighter on the sub- passed right side, than it/they were before as seen on the left before sub-pass.

Is there any orbit maps of either of the newish discovered trojan asteroids of Earth and Neptune available around the time of Elenin's flyby of those planets? since they are not miniscule and can no longer be described as dark bodies, just asking.



posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Why does it look split?, I can see two objects. Same blue fuzz around two objects?



posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
It certainly has the appearance of two objects close together. Anyone have an explanation for that?

Comets are usually one thing no?



posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by MasterAndrew
 

It isn't.
If you look at the animation you can see that you are looking at a background star.
stereo.gsfc.nasa.gov...



posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
please people tell me this is not all of what we are going to see with the SOHO satellites

please



posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by heineken
 

The comet will get brighter but probably not much larger. As has been pointed out, this is not a significant object.

These images are from STEREO not SOHO. SOHO may provide some more interesting views later in the year when Elenin is near perihelion.

edit on 8/2/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Deleted by user, solution found
edit on 3-8-2011 by KSprepared because: (no reason given)



new topics

top topics



 
34
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

log in

join