It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kid-Killer Mom Wins Custody of Teen Boys She was just 'temporarily insane,' says judge

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 05:13 AM
link   

A Washington mom is horrified that her teenage sons will be living with a stepmother convicted of shooting to death her two young daughters. Kristine Cushing, convicted 20 years ago of killing their daughters, 7 and 8 years old, while they slept.

A judge pointed out that Cushing was not technically guilty of killing her children because she was considered insane at the time. "There was no crime committed—there was a horrible tragedy that resulted in the deaths of our two daughters," he said. Trisha Conlon seems to feel that "anyone who suffers from temporary insanity is incapable of recovering from that condition. Kristine's doctors disagree," he noted. The judge added: "Would I ever want my children around her? I would say no. But that is an emotional reaction coming from a parent."

source

So these two boys, by the order of a judge, will be forced to 'sleep' in the same house where a woman killed her own daughters as they 'slept' - an all because the mother didn't actually commit a crime?

Is that judge totally deranged?

He even admits he wouldn't want his kids around her - but then adds 'that's just an emotional reaction from a parent' - DUH! It's also called A GOOD JUDGMENT CALL on the parents side!

I would like to think I would be strong enough to take my boys and run like hell. This really enforces my belief and support for underground organizations that help parents accomplish just that. I hope this woman finds such an organization - fast!

I mean come on! What else can she do???

AP source

peace

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 05:28 AM
link   
I am sick of criminals hiding behind insanity because their lawyer makes them do so to have lighter punishment.

I think the justice system nowadays is so crappy that there isn't any real justice anymore.

The judge was permanently insane in this case.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 05:45 AM
link   
I feel saddened by the fact that this killer was given custody of these two children. It makes no sense; why would you allow a person who has killed two children to gain custody of these boys. The judge itself made a horrible decison and should be ashamed. Sadly, these bad decisions will continue and shows how bad the justice over there can be

edit on 1-8-2011 by keelan55 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

It was the X-Husband not the judge quoted as saying a crime was not committed in the article

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

At first I was sure this took place in Norway.

Washington? Why isn't there some legal protection for the boys? They should have someone looking out for their rights. Whether or not this woman is justly punished by the State is one thing but, to intentionally, with forethought and deliberation put two boys in harms way, is quite another.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by keelan55
I feel saddened by the fact that this killer was given custody of these two children. It makes no sense; why would you allow a person who has killed two children to gain custody of these boys. The judge itself made a horrible decison and should be ashamed. Sadly, these bad decisions will continue and shows how bad the justice over there can be

edit on 1-8-2011 by keelan55 because: (no reason given)

Every single judge should have a report card. We can't get rid of the bast ards but we can make them uncomfortably transparent and hold their feet to the fire.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by iforget

It was the X-Husband not the judge quoted as saying a crime was not committed in the article

A judge pointed out that Cushing was not technically guilty of killing her children because she was considered insane at the time.

Thanks

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 06:22 AM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

Every single judge should have a report card. We can't get rid of the bast ards but we can make them uncomfortably transparent and hold their feet to the fire.

I encourage you (strongly) to start a thread on exactly such a suggestion. I'm telling you, if we don't DO SOMETHING this kind of *bleep* is going to continue.

I mean, really, look at the woman who made a judgment call and walked her kids across the street (outside of a crosswalk) to get them in the house quicker (it was turning dark) and the judge was ready to give the MOTHER a stronger sentence than the man who killed her 4 year old - even though he'd been convicted of DUI numerous times before.

Just another instance of INSANITY!

And what gets me even more? If something happens to these kids - is the judge responsible? Nooooo, he didn't technically place them in harms way not did he!!! (/sarcasm)

peace

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 06:44 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grey Magic
I am sick of criminals hiding behind insanity because their lawyer makes them do so to have lighter punishment.

I think the justice system nowadays is so crappy that there isn't any real justice anymore.

The judge was permanently insane in this case.

accused may seek an insanity plea but are rarely granted same. in reality, in America, there are much more mentally ill people serving time in prisons than in mental institutions where they rightfully belong.

what defies logic is American citizens allowing judges -- who are simply experienced, politically connected and networked lawyers -- to pass opinion on peoples sanity. such judgement should be made by a panel of doctors respected in the psychiatric field.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 07:12 AM
link   
I am not well versed in this case, but I feel compelled to ask just one question: is it possible for a judge to temporarily suffer from insanity while issuing a ruling in a case?

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Citizens for Judicial Accountability

I'm not sure if this is a good jumping off place, but, it's a good starting point. I hope from here I can narrow it down to a working organization that's trying to make a change.

I know, I now I'm thinking 'fat chance' too, but, when reading about judges like the one in the original article? I've got to start somewhere.

I'd also like to know more about the judge in question, and besides how he can even sleep at night, what other controversial rulings he's made.

peace

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Conlon's ex-husband points out that Cushing was not technically guilty of killing her children; she was found not guilty by reason of insanity. "There was no crime committed—there was a horrible tragedy that resulted in the deaths of our two daughters," he says.

thats the actual article quote its not that I don't see your point but I dont see any need to misquote to prove it

thanks

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

This judge should step down immediately or the mother of these precious boys pack up and runnnnnnnnnnnn for their lives!

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
reply to post by newcovenant

I encourage you (strongly) to start a thread on exactly such a suggestion. I'm telling you, if we don't DO SOMETHING this kind of *bleep* is going to continue.

I mean, really, look at the woman who made a judgment call and walked her kids across the street (outside of a crosswalk) to get them in the house quicker (it was turning dark) and the judge was ready to give the MOTHER a stronger sentence than the man who killed her 4 year old - even though he'd been convicted of DUI numerous times before.

Just another instance of INSANITY!

And what gets me even more? If something happens to these kids - is the judge responsible? Nooooo, he didn't technically place them in harms way not did he!!! (/sarcasm)

peace

Carfax for judges...awesome idea.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by iforget

Now I see what you mean. I'll ask MOD to fix it.
I read and re read the post and this time caught it and went DUH!

Granted the judge agreed, but you're right - I'll 'alert' and try to re-post.

Thanks again

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
They should make the Judge sleep in the house with the crazy killer mom for a few months before forcing the kids into the house with her.

Let him see what its like to fear for your life every time you go to sleep.

top topics

join