It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it just me or...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Is everything just total # lately?

Everything i use to love is now "meh". Examples:

All newer video games are pretty much crap. Just sequal hit and punch instant appeal no lasting appeal garbage. The new CoD's are getting worse and worse. Starcraft 2 is a flashy "action RTS", nothing like the old game. Not to mention how they compeltely destroyed battle.net. Halo is just the same old thing and nothing new. The new mortal kombat is basically soul caliber with mortal kombat characters and #ty. I can go on and on, but basically im just hitting up the retro games. Sometimes nostalgia,but somtimes i find a game i havent played and its still 10x better than whatever the hell is out there.

Movies... Oh man have movies gotten #ty. Dont get me wrong, i LOVE watching awesome special effects. But every movie today seems to be built around special effects. The effects are the support, the characters and story should be the first priority. I dont think i even need examples for this one, anyone whose watched movies since the early 90's knows what im talking about. I pretty much made a rule that any movie made after 2001 i wont watch.

Music... ok i LOVE Nine Inch Nails(my name is a song of theirs) but even my favorite band isn't as good as it used to be. I still like the newer stuff, but its not as good as the older stuff. But that's my FAVORITE band, other bands that i like i cant evn listen to their new stuff for more than about 30 seconds before i cringe. It's all rehashed boring lame crap. The radio is just commercialized garbage i cant even touch that thing.

Food... this is the really wierd one. Maybe its my body, maybe its the hormones they inject. Whatever it is, food just doesnt taste the same anymore. Especiallly processed fast food. I know the standards for that stuff has always been low, but i cant even eat that without stomach pain a day or two later. I use to love eating food that tasted good. Now i try to hold back on eating until im really hungry and simply "have to" eat." It's just become a necessity of life for me.

I use to believe all this stuff was nostalgia and/or me growing up, but after a while i realized its not. I love watching movies from the 80's and 90's. I love games oldskool games that i havent even played before(meaning i didnt have memories of them).

Is there some conspiracy here? Has our creativity as a species slowly been eliminated? i really dont know what's going on, but this is just waht i feel like lately.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 05:00 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 05:00 AM
link   
reply to post by demonseed

It's all about money now, creativity doesnt go into the product, it goes to the packaging. Anything to get you to buy it, then the rest, bad or good, you deal with it.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   
My family has also noticed the food changing, In fact we stopped buying any kind of proccesed meat, as the last time we had it first my husband had stomach pains then I got them then my oldest son got cramps, then my youngest, I think we have narrowed it down to the proccessed ham. I have had food poisioning once years ago, this time was not so bad as that time years ago, but it was the same sort of feeling. makes me sick to even think about what they put in our foods, anything to dumb us down! They should write that on the lables.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Had to reply because I'm also a huge NIN fan. If someone asks me what kind of music I like, I always just say Nine Inch Nails. They/He have always had and always will have a special place in my heart. One of the highlights of my life was finally getting to see them live, front row, at Key Arena in Seattle a few years ago. But I agree. All the music I used to love and live by just isn't as special anymore. It's all going down hill. I'm nervous about his next album, whenever it may come out. I'm really afraid I just won't like them anymore. I can definitely say that's the case with Marilyn Manson. Used to be right up there with NIN, but the last couple Manson albums have been utter garbage. (I think he fired his whole band and fell in love or something.)

Haven't seen a movie or TV or played games in a few years now but I gave all that stuff up for the same reasons you cited. It's all just meant to keep people occupied. Fast food - Yikes. It's been a long time, quite a few years, since I've risked eating any of that garbage, but I used to love it as a kid. I distinctly remember it started losing all taste and made me ill. I eat much healthier these days and have a personal vendetta against fast food.

My advice: Branch Out! Try to experience more refined entertainment. These days I'm really into lectures by Alan Watts. I can listen to that man speak like I used to be able to listen to NIN. All Freaking Day! Changed my life. Try this out, if you've never listened to him.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 05:28 AM
link   

You have what is known as "Old Age".

It's hit me, music is horrible, movies are rarely decent, and games... well if I was sane, they would be for children, ut I still enjoy a modicum of call of duty.

Meat however, my god has there been a larger change... I cannot eat a steak without wondering if I'm dieing or of its a dream. Bacon? impossible strips of cardboard.

And I loved me my bacon.... I often wonder if it is due to the knackering of the pig- they used to say it changed the meat if they were not mutilated.

If that is the case I will galdly forgo bacon. The animals suffering more than is required is not my pleasure.

But old age surely is noticed.

Nothing tastes proper, not even my moonshine. That is the worst of it.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mentalistbee

It's all about money now, creativity doesnt go into the product, it goes to the packaging. Anything to get you to buy it, then the rest, bad or good, you deal with it.

That's about it. Not hard to see. All you have to do is buy stuff.
You have to buy 2 because next time you buy it, "they" will be making your product with cheaper materials, inferior ingredients or smaller.

It is all about getting you to part with the most money NOW and making the products lifespan short so you have to buy it again.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 06:09 AM
link   

You are getting old.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 06:15 AM
link   

I think you just got old.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by demonseed
Movies... Oh man have movies gotten #ty.

For this one I think the answer is to start watching "foreign" (non-Hollywood) movies.
There is seriously an unbelievable number of really great movies made "overseas" that are remade by Hollywood as an explosion CGI special effects piece of garbage.
See the original.

About 50percent or more of the movies I watch have subtitles.

new topics

top topics

join