It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Al-Shabaab: Folk dancing & brassiere not allowed.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 06:33 AM
link   
When you are sitting in the middle of no where with a group of local "law enforcement" armed with semi auto FN-LARS rifles, dressed in camo...and you realize you are a stranger in a strange land and that you have no Constitutional rights...and that any rights granted to you come from the guys holding those rifles.... it doesn't matter how much land they hold. They hold the land you are standing on for now and that is enough.

I recently came back from Yucatan Penninsula and visited some remote and very poor villages. When the Policia walks up to your ride and holds out his palm with 50 written on it...you pay 50 Pesos or spend some time in the local jail with no legal representation... it also helps to realize 50 pesos is about 5 US Dollars...but still..

As for how rediculous bans and traditions and beliefs are...it doesn't matter what you think, only what the locals think.

And if you are a foreigner, you will pay heavily for any incursion. So when in Rome...do as the Romans. When in a country in turmoil... get the hell out ASAP.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by AlreadyGone

Well said. Somalia if left alone will not create tthe next reich.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amassuo

But that is the problem, we cant really know that for sure can we? I think it is a little like a disease, it is spreading one village at a time.

You said you have been there for a large time of your live?

Why are you not helping your country? - Are there no way that all you stronger people can team up and help your countries somehow? - Political or force?

Just interested thanks,

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Samosa as in the little triangle pasty thing?

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Suspiria

Hi

What I understood it is this:

A small fried turnover of Indian origin that is filled with seasoned vegetables or meat.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hilltaker
reply to post by Suspiria

Hi

What I understood it is this:

A small fried turnover of Indian origin that is filled with seasoned vegetables or meat.

Ok, just as I thought. Although I am deeply confused as to why they singled out the tasty little parcel and ban it.

Perhaps because it's perfect party food. hahaha OMG

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Hilltaker

Perhaps I can expand on your question if I may.

These people have no recourse. They are poor...what we in the USA country cal..."dirt floor poor."

They have barely enough food, any time is spent getting food and provisions for the family unit, they don't even have secure homes... there are no weapons for defense except maybe a tool or machete...

And any government or law enforcement that can be trusted is a few hours bus ride away. The local law is corrupt or isolated at best. Since a majority of peoples don't even have a car...only bikes and scooters...the local law is THE LAW...and that means you have two choices...abide by the local law and customs or leave.

In Mexico, we rode out of Cancun on a ragged VW Bus...rode about 3 hours out into the interior of the Yucatan...each village got poorer as we passed, the roads got worse...and the Policia looked just a little more intimidating. The people are beautiful and as sweet a group of individuals as there can be...generous, loving, friendly...but at the mercy of the Policia and Federalis...and the limited assistance of the Mexican government.

Frankly, I was glad to have gone..BUT glad to get back to the USA. here I know my rights, have true legal recourse...and I can own a weapon to defend my family and my home. The US has many problems as so many here have noted...myself included.

But I am so glad to live here... It may be a cliche', but I never knew how lucky I was as an American until I left America and returned.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   

I personally like America a lot and have often applied for jobs in Silicon Valley just to go there and live a few years.

Now I am older and I am married so it isnt that easy anymore just to go to the states.

I am one of those Danes looking up to U.S.A and I love and enjoy most of your movies and the country in general.

I gave you a star for your well written and well thought post. Thank you for taking your time to come and contribute with your story.

Can I ask. What was you doing there? - Isnt it very risky for us white folks to go to those countries?

Thanks,

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amassuo

But that is the problem, we cant really know that for sure can we? I think it is a little like a disease, it is spreading one village at a time.

You said you have been there for a large time of your live?

Why are you not helping your country? - Are there no way that all you stronger people can team up and help your countries somehow? - Political or force?

Just interested thanks,

I strongly believe we can logically think thru the capabilities of somalis. the biggest thing theyve done to date is the pirate shennanigans. They will not create the fourth reich.

i am not somali i am algerian. and i do indeed help algeria through whatever means that i can when there, however algeria is a 2nd world country and doesnt not even need aid. i have hundreds if not thousands of somali friends. people can team up but never do we have weapons to use.

ETA: Its all rocks for bullets for the middle class non-extremeist muslims that never thought they would need guns to begin with in the less poor arab countries
edit on 1-8-2011 by Amassuo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   

I went on a mission trip to do what you suggested...help people, to help people empower themselves, and to try to help my fellow man..and women...and mostly children.

A group of 9 people carried over half a ton of donated items, school supplies, foodstuffs to Tizimin, Mexico and the surrounding area. The people are wonderful...but the area is poor. the mayan Indians there are on the low end of the class pole...even looked down upon by their mexican countrymen.

We worked in schools, in youth centers, and with local churches to meet some immediate needs and try to educate them as to how to improve their lot...

And yes, it was scary at times. And at a few check points...down right dangerous. This is not a tourist area.... so 9 gringos stand out...literally.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   

This is a perfect showcase of the completely flawed philosophy of anarchism.

While Somalia became anarchic by accident, rather than by design, it's still apparent how the ''might is right'' factor will always take hold in a lawless society.

Here we have a group who can call the shots in their local region, purely because of their numbers, weapons and power. All sorts of crazy rules and stipulations can be enforced when you can physically terrorise those who don't have as much clout as you.

The logical outcome of anarchism is ochlocracy, and the mob who have the most power will be the ones with the most weapons...

al-Shabaab is forbidden Western relief organizations access to the country by accusing them of being Western spies and Christian crusaders.

This isn't really too dissimilar to the rhetoric of the Islamophobes.

Many of the anti-Muslim crowd claim that Muslims are attempting to take over Europe, in some kind of ''Jihad by stealth''.

I don't see any difference in the level of craziness between these clowns claiming that aid-workers are a part of a ''Christian crusade'' and the Islamophobes who think that 1.5bn Muslims are brainless, group-thinking drones who spend all of their waking hours thinking about subduing the ''infidel''.

In fact, I think that we should send some of Britain's resident Islamophobes to Somalia on a team-bonding exercise with these Al-Shabaab goons.

Both groups would be amazed at how much they had in common with each other.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Hi

That sounds like a truly remarkable experience. Like something you actually learn a lot from.

I am not sure I have the need in my life to do anything similair really. I think it is hard enough just to get up and go to work.

Still I have the deepest respect for what you did back there.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by masqua

al-Shabaab may be small, with fighters into the thousands, but those thousands with AK-47's can do a lot of damage. Think about a group like that terrorising a US state, Canadian province or a country like Holland.

Agreed.

Then what happens if people with the same "mentality" end up in charge of a country with a population in the tens of millions, and with lots of resources. Maybe they decide to start "exporting their beliefs". Maybe they start building the components of WMD's and long range delivery systems.

We'll all have forgotten by then that they stated out as just a small group of what we thought were crazies.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Thank you...but I suggest such an undertaking to everyone.

Just think if the whole world tried to help each other and love each other... by whatever means we have available.

It was a really enlightening experience and one I hope that changed me for the better... so may things I assumed, so many things I took for granted.

Lastly, I hope I left something positive for the people that I touched... maybe a better life or some peice of info that might help feed their family or ensure a better future in years to come for a small child.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Just think if the whole world tried to help each other and love each other... by whatever means we have available

A lovely thought, indeed. The problem to consider is there are many who neither want nor accept love and help from outside sources. They reject it fully, and with great pride.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Welcome to the thread

Another problem will be the massive over population we are already encountering it. I dont understand people thinking that the world can have nearly unlimited people living on it. It is just redicules in my mind to believe that how bad it must sound.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
the problem of somalia is not pirates or whatever

people in somalia still think in tribes, on the main road there are several checkpoints where you have to pay a toll to each clan. the only reason that the un backed government is in power aside from au forces present is because of the large clan backing the govt

the original al shabab took aside tribal differences and fought back against these tribes holding somalia in hostage, but now unfortunatly it is al shabab holding the southern country hostage.

whats intresting is in the north of somalia have declared independance and are called somaliland, they have their own forces, working govt and administration

in the middle of somalia is another place called puntland which also declared independance

but govts have not acknowledged these two countries

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I agree. Folk dancing is lame. And bras? False advertising!

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

Originally posted by masqua

al-Shabaab may be small, with fighters into the thousands, but those thousands with AK-47's can do a lot of damage. Think about a group like that terrorising a US state, Canadian province or a country like Holland.

Agreed.

Then what happens if people with the same "mentality" end up in charge of a country with a population in the tens of millions, and with lots of resources. Maybe they decide to start "exporting their beliefs". Maybe they start building the components of WMD's and long range delivery systems.

We'll all have forgotten by then that they stated out as just a small group of what we thought were crazies.

a couple thosand fighters will not take a country alone. espicially a bunch of little kids, they dont know how to take care of their resources, they dont know how to use their guns properly. and they can barely bake themselves food daily, how do you expect them to bake uranium cakes. you really have absolutely no clue what you are talking about what so ever sir. They started as a small group and they NEVER grew. go do more research bro

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by maybee

Originally posted by Mentalistbee

And who are the exactly to ban such things, even in private gatherings so to say. If it were a wedding , and men and women are gathered, no dancing or talking?
Even football, what's wrong with playing football?
It almost seems that they are banning things just for the sake of proving how powerful they are.

I agree. Why on earth would they care about someone wearing a bra. And when was the last time you saw someone folk dancing, not sure what they even mean about that one. Sounds like a bunch of wackos to me.

I guess they dont like men/boys oggling at jupmpin jigglin jellos while someone does the folk dance

They're prolly thinking that It can bring out the bad/sexual thoughts in men

Give me a break. These guys really need to re-evaluate the entire blind faith and religious practices.
edit on 1-8-2011 by hp1229 because: edit content

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join