It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lets get this posting record started.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Thank you everyone for an amazing website that I've been consuming for quite a few months now. I arrived looking for interesting UFO videos, I stayed for the high quality unusual nonconformist information (and the odd hilarious not-that-high quality ones).

I finally have something interesting to share on the Social Issues forum, and get sent here because I haven't posted anything before. So its introduction time I suppose.

Hi. My name is Anton. I live in Johannesburg, South Africa.I have an electronic engineering degree, 16 years of experience in starting and running successful Open Source focused software companies, currently writing web applications based on Drupal.

I grew up in a family where some level of telepathy/PK almost seemed the norm (you do not play Risk against my brother, once when I had a car accident the phone rang about 10 seconds after with him asking if I'm OK). At the same time, engineering has instilled in me the assumption that anything can be explained and utilised if you investigate it carefully. So my default assumption is that there is a rational explanation for everything, just don't assume you know everything yet.

Another useful maxim I've found is: Do not ascribe to maliciousness that which can be adequately explained by incompetence.

My personal reading interests are very wide, meandering through computation and AI, consciousness studies, history, religion/spirituality, biology/ecology and lately economics and developmental models (personal and cultural) with the most recent books Ken Wilber's "A brief history of everything (revised)" and Christopher Grey's "The Acid Diaries". Fascinating books, especially if read together.

An area of specific interest to me is how do we design a better "operating system" for our economies as the current model is clearly broken. I'm starting to suspect that we need a major step in the technology of value and trade to represent the information complexity of the developmental level of our culture/society. Optimizing for this thing called "money" is a one-dimensional measure that is prone to local optimization. Maybe we need a 2 (or more) dimensional system of value representation?

Anyways, this should be enough of an introduction.

Anton

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 03:45 AM
link   
reply to post by asciikewl

Explanation: Flagged!

Personal Disclosure: Welcome! OL is sure a mod will be along soon to help out with an informative post etc. I also recommend utilizing the green chat voyuer function on the ATS tool bar to the bottom of most ATS webpages [aka the ribbon]! It will enable you to watch who and what is being posted in chat but unfortunately you wont be able to join or chat back until your post count reaches 200 posts or so.

Reply to this post with the reply function up top right of this post and that'll be another post towards your mandatory 20 posts before you can start your own threads

Please message me using the message button on far left ATS tool bar [after you have made at least 20 posts] if you require any further help whatsoever!

Peace and much love!

Sincerely OL [OmegaLogos]

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Heya man... Welcome to the site. If you have questions or what not dont be araid to ask, or drop into chat and just hang out and chat.

Welcome!

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Welcome to ATS!!!

and thanks for getting Black Eyed Peas stuck in my head first thing in the morning ♥

When inserting video's - use only the video ID and add this - &feature_related
works everytime!

edit on 1-8-2011 by Forevever because: example: IKqV7DB8Iwg&feature_related

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by asciikewl

An area of specific interest to me is how do we design a better "operating system" for our economies as the current model is clearly broken. I'm starting to suspect that we need a major step in the technology of value and trade to represent the information complexity of the developmental level of our culture/society. Optimizing for this thing called "money" is a one-dimensional measure that is prone to local optimization. Maybe we need a 2 (or more) dimensional system of value representation?

Anyways, this should be enough of an introduction.

Anton

Welcome, I look forward to reading your first thread.
edit on 1-8-2011 by NuroSlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 03:55 AM
link   
Welcome, it seems that you willhave much to bring to this forum look forward to reading your posts, you can also reply to me to add another post to your total, also feal free to read and reply to any of my threads if you would like. If there is anything i can help with drom me a user to user message

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

Heya man... Welcome to the site. If you have questions or what not dont be araid to ask, or drop into chat and just hang out and chat.

Welcome!

I believe access to the chat room requires 200 posts, I would get started op.

Welcome noob poster. I bet you'll have interesting comments with you wide range of interests.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Hello, welcome to ATS. There are many forums and topics that you will find your place in. Have fun.

top topics

join