It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The old internet. What are your memories of it?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by cwilson

Originally posted by dreamingawake
Ah,
The sound of dial up when it finally stooped and connected. Warez without the threat of being found. Not having to wade through the "ad sites" that now replace the results in searching. Various chatrooms(a/s/l checks every few mins ), as social networking. Not having to type in a security code or home phone/cell to post somewhere/access e-mail.

via '96/'97+

BBS pre that time that family had introduced me to.
edit on 1-8-2011 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

Hahahaha a/s/l checks!! I remember when I first saw that, over at a friends house who had AOL, I had no idea what it meant and someone typed it out for me. We had Erol's internet at my house, spent hours on Sk8Chat, built my own Angelfire webpage, first Hotmail address, being able to search for anything and get a legit find, getting caught by my parents for looking up adult videos because I had no idea that there was a such thing as a 'history' on the browser... Ahh the old days of the internet.

Crazy to think that the kids born nowadays won't be able to phathom not having an internet... We used to ride bikes, play in the woods, and drink from the hose when I was a kid.. And I'm only 28!

HAHahahaha A/S/L!! I totally forgot that!! Ok, folks. Just for the good days.... 28/F/Utah!!
aw, the memories

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Wow..Imagine thirty years from now what internet technology will be like...they will be saying remember when we had keyboards, and you had to manually type in things

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
A strange game. The only winning move is not to troll.
How about a nice game of chess?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0f8babf38979.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
MY earliest memories are using a DEC Vax 11/780
And live chatting with a our other DOD sites, and a few colleges.In about 1984..
From home I had a DEC terminal with a 300 baud acoustic coupled modem.
all monochrome green (or some amber)
We could also send email.
The Vax was a giant machine, that hissed like a viper as the Washtub sized disk drive worked to provide Virtual memory.
It was actually kind of boring. LOL

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
getting mad cause people want to used the the phone lol

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
playing online game and it lag

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join