It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Server's Guide to Dining Out and Getting the Best Service.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by dbates

I used to have a job as a waiter so I know what's possible and when my waiter is just back in the kitchen flirting with the other waiters or chef.

LOL I don't know what it is about greasy restaurant kitchens, but they sure do spark up the romance. I learned loooong ago, that that's never a good idea. It's fine with me though cause while they are in the kitchen flirting, I'm in the dining room stealing there tables....chaching$$$

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

U mad, bro?

Seriously...

Now, I can understand if a server is absolutely HORRIFIC (everything being their fault) - then don't tip them (as a penalty, of course).

But if certain things are beyond the server's control (kitchen errors, expecting to be in and out in 20 minutes while ordering heavily modified food and/or steaks, etc), then I can't call anyone moral for stiffing a server based on that.

At my establishment, us servers make $2.13 an hour - and literally 65% or so is withheld by the government.

So I make about $1 an hour. My paycheck every two weeks is around $55

PLUS I have to tip out 3% of my NET SALES every shift. 1% to the bussers, 1% to the hosts, and 1% to the service bar.

With that said, if you stiff me - especially on a large bill, I have to pay for YOU to eat there.

Where I work, the kitchen messes up a lot. Ticket times can reach 30 minutes sometimes... Thankfully when that happens, most people understand because they're empathetic enough. But it's the people who you least expect who will tip you like $3 on a $60 bill even though you gave them great service. And some will just totally stiff you.

Next time you go out to eat, remember - servers have feelings too. And they probably have it a lot harder than you do.

And if you say, "get a better job" again, you will just validate how non-empathetic really are and you're probably a cold person in real life - which is your prerogative of course.

Also, pro tip - If a server isn't around or isn't coming up to you in time, ever think that maybe something went wrong somewhere and they're trying to fix the problem? Realize that if this happens during a rush, a chain reaction may ensue - which really sucks for the server.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

On the 18 percent mandatory for larger parties.
I always throw down a buck extra, and encourage others in the party to do so.
It's always appeared to me that a party of 10 looked more difficult than 2 parties of 5.
Probably has a lot to do with timing of dishes, so everyone can eat at the same time.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
my wife and have system of tallys starting from the moment we see our server untill the check arives...
i usaly have to sneak an extra dollor on whatever my wife leaves lol. i think shes onto me thou

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by impaired

Wonderful. Great information.

With that said, if you stiff me - especially on a large bill, I have to pay for YOU to eat there

Kind of hard to argue with that point...
Thanks for the awesome post

edit on 9-8-2011 by MidnightSunshine because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I happened across this website today, which explains the "customary" amounts to tip for many different services. For the inquiring minds (or the guilty ones), here is the link:

money.cnn.com...

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
I am a Night Porter, our hotel does after hours drinks that can only be charged to the room.
When we have weddings on (every weekend, from our hotel and others) and the guests stay here I generally have to make all their drinks, They have to seat in the front lounge rather than the bar Becasue I have to be on reception as much as possible too.

SO tonight for example: 4 different groups want drinks and sandwiches and they all want it as soon as.

I am on my own, serving anywere between 20-35 people on any given night.
People need to realise I am going to be taking some time.

It's even worse when I get people checking in while others are asking for drinks, obviously I can only do 1 thing at a time like that and I just wish people would understand instead of giving it the big I WANT.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

Thanks Aggie Man, ME likey!!!

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Chukkles

That must really suck but you can rest assured, I'm the kind of guy who would wait until you don't look busy before I ask anything. Even if I'm jetlagged and wanna sleep ASAP, nothing wrong with a little common sense if there's only one person there working.

Some people just don't seem to have that natural ability to wait and be patient any more.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
This thread was cool. I enjoyed the feedback and think It will be helpful. I will be returning to work this week, after being off for a year. I can't wait!!! I love my job

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join