It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dear Elitist Atheists

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Where would religious people be without atheists, and where would atheists be without religious people? I am starting to think they both love each other they just don't realize it! If everyone was of the same belief/nonbelief system these threads wouldn't be any good would they? You just like to fuel the fire between each other is all, if you all agreed you would have nothing to write or debate about....

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I think that Christianity gave birth to atheism. Think about it, are there any indiginous atheist tribes? You would be hard pressed, looking throughout history to find an indiginous people who don't have a spiritual tie in their lives.

No, it's only after being force fed irreconcilable lies and fairy tales, and warnings and threats of the eternal torture of hell's fires, that people have finally started to stand up and say "I don't believe it!"

Good for them. Long live atheism.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by jheated5
Where would religious people be without atheists, and where would atheists be without religious people? I am starting to think they both love each other they just don't realize it! If everyone was of the same belief/nonbelief system these threads wouldn't be any good would they? You just like to fuel the fire between each other is all, if you all agreed you would have nothing to write or debate about....

May I guess, that you are american. Here in northern Europe, the subject is hardly ever touched publicly, except when some christians try to sneak 'christian values' into the democratic procedure (again). Then they will yelled at, loose still some more adherers and votes on their political representation, and be sent back to their churches.

All rather peacefully.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Look, we're treating religion as if its an intellectual problem. It is not. If you consider the matter solely philosophically, then sure. Using pure reason, the illogicality of religion is clear as day, and when this community stumbles across that kind of ignorance, it's very easy to be vehement and condescending. And not without good reason! There's a certain schadenfreude in "owning xtians on facebook", and making rage comics where we can give a particularly ill-thought out reply in defense of religion our collective incredularity. But you have to understand (and this took me a long time to understand, certainly), that religion is not an intellectual game.

What's humorous about this post is it basically says "well sure Christians are a bunch of stupid idiots that do not pursue their beliefs intellectually, but we shouldn't rage on them because of their cluelessness". It's an insult masquerading as a plea. Sure there are Christians that believe picking navel lint is a great intellectural pursuit, but there are just as many atheists that are just as clueless. On both sides of belief are people who are just going with the flow and people who are involved in very serious intellectual pursuits. It's simply a lie to say all the people on one side or the other are just mindless drones.

When you enter into a debate with a religious person, the argument, from our perspective, is a logical one. We are cold, calculating, and beautifully ruthless. Yes, we can cut apart the vast majority of arguments in the defense of religion easily, and I can understand your frustration when the religious close their ears!

More hilarity. This person should lurk on a Christian forum, he'd no doubt be very surprised that Christians think THEY are the logical ones, that the atheists are emotional and irrational and always wrong. Christians think they are the ruthless ones, cutting the atheists' arguments to ribbons and that the atheists are the ones that close their ears to the truth. I'm not agreeing with that, I'm just making the observation that both sides think they are right and have the upper hand and that they always leave the other side "running scared".

They're just operating within the system they always have.

Rubbish. Why in the world do atheists think that Christians "have always been that way"? The vast majority of Christians were atheists or agnostics at some point. They don't operate within a certain "system" dictated by their upbringing.

Reddit is a strange little enclave of non-believers, it's a lot like FSTDT. There's little to no intellectual discussion going on, it's just a bunch of mindless drivel being spouted by a bunch of holier-than-thou atheists. I've been to a lot of forums and most are either dominated by athiests or by Christians, there aren't many places that are more "neutral" where civil conversations between the two can take place. ATS is pretty close to that, there are still a lot of "extremists" on both sides that are trying for little more than an emotional rise out of people (like the info in the OP), but there are also a lot who are closer to the middle and can debate without resorting to the typical petty name-calling that the extremists like to participate in.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

Atheism came first.

It only makes sense logically. The cave men couldn't have had the forward thought to think about it could they?

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   

You wrote:

["Long live atheism."]

So as not to offend anyone, can we add: " 'God' bless it " also?

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by bogomil

Good guess, but christian values are pushed here too and some I don't mind like certain holidays..... I believe religious people should be opposed though sometimes, I don't think they should have a monopoly in the way any government runs..... Like I said before everyone shouldn't agree on everything, but I don't believe in anyones belief being force fed to you without a say in the matter......

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by drew1749

Atheism came first.

It only makes sense logically. The cave men couldn't have had the forward thought to think about it could they?

To think about what? Christ? By all accounts cro-magnum man had a spiritual and artistic side. Cave paintings and totem artifacts, burial rituals, show this.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by jheated5

Thanks for your response.

You wrote:

["Good guess, but christian values are pushed here too and some I don't mind like certain holidays"]

It's my impression, that there's no real comparison between the megaphones of US christians and our democratized local ones. People wouldn't even laugh here, if someone tries to start on 'born-again' overflowing. It would be more like somebody taking off his trousers in public and putting them on his head.

Quote: ["..... I believe religious people should be opposed though sometimes, I don't think they should have a monopoly in the way any government runs"]

They shouldn't have any influence in public systems or administration whatsoever, except for what voted political representation gives them. Good grief, if all minority groups should claim privileges this way.

The child molesters liberation army, football hooligans and free-booze-for-everyone, ..... extra-parliamentary. No thanks.

Quote: ["Like I said before everyone shouldn't agree on everything, but I don't believe in anyones belief being force fed to you without a say in the matter......"]

There SHOULD be enough personal space in egalitarian liberalism for everybody. But some people never get enough.

edit on 1-8-2011 by bogomil because: grammar

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Partygirl
I just feel like Athiests are becoming more militant, more organized, more...well, more of an identity. Like a more formal group. I don't think it used to be this way even 5 years ago but now I see so many books on Athiesm in the bookstore and there are "athiest clubs" and so on.

Uh geeze - - - with the rise of the Christian Right Political Extremists - - - Atheists should just stay in the closet?

Seriously?

I'd say the reality of it is - - they are being forced out of the closet by necessity.

They are being forced to fight a fight that should not exist - - in a secular country.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Atheism came first.

Are you suggesting that "cave men" existed before Adam? If Adam was the first man created by God then wouldn't an inherent belief always have been with humans?

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by MJZoo

SEE! THIS IS WHAT MY OP IS ALL ABOUT!

lol sorry I had to freak out.

Adam and Eve are a story. Most Christians believe that. It's a metaphorical story.

Well I can't say most Christians. Most Catholics (who are Christian) however do believe that.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by MJZoo

Atheism came first.

Are you suggesting that "cave men" existed before Adam? If Adam was the first man created by God then wouldn't an inherent belief always have been with humans?

Did someone just say that to an Atheist?

Really?

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Well no he said it to me. I'm Catholic. My OP was appealing to Atheism.

Unless he didn't say it to me. lol

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Just for the record, although I'm sure no one really cares, I'm not an atheist. My daughter is, and she's a high fallootin scientist at UCLA.

No, I believe in the spiritual content of humanity, but I am proud to say that I'm NOT a Christian. I find it amusing that you never see a Muslum, Buddhist, Hare Krisna, Jew, or Wiccan ever post an atheist "come here" thread. It's always a Christian bull baiting for a proselytizing opportunity.

I love these threads because they bring out some top thinkers and interesting speculation, while others just spin in illogical circles. It's entertaining.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   

I'm directing it specifically at the elitest mentality. As you said it's easy to point out when someone's wrong. You are.

You're not targeting the elitists mentality. You're targeting the elitist mentality of some atheists, while ignoring the equally prominent amount of elitist christians.

Then you say so yourself, that it's not the elitists mentality your targeting, but only the atheists with it.

Then you say you're not focusing on athiests, and that you're focusing on the elitist mentality.

Now, I bring back up how, if your going after the elitist mentality, the christian elitists need equal condemnation for it too.

What you're doing, is like if I made a thread about christian murderers, clearly ignored atheistic murderers, went as far to say that the majority of the christian community were murderers, and then denied it was at all focusing on christians, and saying it's only about murderers.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Atheists came first obviously, but when the sun came out people knew back then they were safe and when it was dark things became dangerous..... Hence light good, dark bad... thus the sun god was born.....

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by xxsomexpersonxx

You're not targeting the elitists mentality. You're targeting the elitist mentality of some atheists, while ignoring the equally prominent amount of elitist christians.

Since you want to nit-pick let me clear up what I mean.

This thread is focusing on how much I dislike the elitist mentality in atheists mainly because I don't see an elitist attitude as often in Christians though it certainly exists.

Is that better?

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by drew1749

Can we agree the elitist mentality sucks on every side of the fence?

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by jheated5

Sure.

lol

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join