It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dear Elitist Atheists

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 03:48 AM
link   
reply to post by drew1749

I think you'll find plenty of people get along on the internet; it helps when trolls aren't posting pointless inflammatory threads making broad sweeping generalisations of one group while not being able to take even slight criticism of your own. You see a high majority of us have learnt that such things are a personal preference, and keep them to ourselves; you're right, it's nobody else's business, so don't try to make it otherwise.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by JustinSee

No, its fine. You can just see where the conversation will go in most cases. Personally, I'm just saddened that so many people subscribe to antique morality pamphlets....in this day and age.

Yet, morality seems to be going down the drain each and every day..I don't see the harm. I find it refreshing.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ray1850
religion is responsible for the death of millions, I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THAT!

and millions more are killed for countless other reasons...

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Mantha

'Religion. It's given people hope in a world torn apart by religion.'

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by racasan
Christians posting their usual thing on a conspiracy website forum are going to have their beliefs examined – challenged - then ripped to shreds, how can it be otherwise?

The internet is a market place for ideas and so when Christians offer up their religion for consideration and much of the world finds it to be nothing more than cheap shoddy rubbish easily dismissed then whose fault is that?

But what if religion comes to the net not to die but to mutate?

Is there room enough for mutations in your philosophy, Horatio?
edit on 8/1/11 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 07:05 AM
link   
I had to read the OP 3-4 times, trying to discover what it actually says, but I still can't find head or tail in it.

One possibility is, that it's so incredibly naive, that only complete ignorance can be an explanation. Having no knowledge of the often deep-loding analyses of practically every aspect of the religion-science dichotomy, which just on ATS manifests daily. Analyses which go far beyond the simplistic, seemingly 'tolerance' appeal in OP, where OP glosses over the factual problems.

Another possibility, which I sadly enough find more likely, is that this is ANOTHER effort of somehow getting a foot in the door, so preaching can take place. In JW style starting with sugarcoated bait, escalating as opportunities present themselves.

I'm generally not a distrusting person with a streak of paranoia, but concerning the missionary christian I have learned never to trust the surface, which is presented. None of the virtues which mankind (with or without religion) try to uphold mean anything to the fanatic, monopoly-seeking christian.

"The aim justifies the means."

You guys have had two thousand years of demonstrating, what you are. The result is apparant, and no sweet-talking can disguise that.

If you want respect and trust, you have to RE-earn it. And adding another layer of cosmetic semantics won't do, it only adds to the image, which is killing christianity (somewhat unfair to the 'decent' christian).

PS We can rehash all the details on request.
edit on 1-8-2011 by bogomil because: spelling

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   
That would be evolution – are you sure you want to go there?

Originally posted by silent thunder

But what if religion comes to the net not to die but to mutate?

Is there room enough for mutations in your philosophy, Horatio?
edit on 8/1/11 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

My answer is believe what you like, post what you like but if you post your religious beliefs on a secular forum then don’t expect to have an easy ride

and as for religion evolving thanks to the internet - yes im sure it has already
edit on 1-8-2011 by racasan because: grammer

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Honestly I am sick of seeing it here. In this kind of place your just asking for a drawn out argument thats been had over and over, and the Jesus lovers eventually end up repeating a few choice statements when they are finally bested. Now, I'm no Athiest- but I subscribe to nothing....and feel that these cosmic ideas are quite beyond human comprehension. You may find that alot of Athiest WOULD believe in some of these grand concepts personally...but they wood sooner wait for some kind of evidence....or some kind of understanding. Regardless the religious nuts keep on trying to convert convert convert. Somebody give it a rest.

they can only try and convert you if you acknowledge them and they can only convert you if you allow then to, so there is nothing to worry about unless you are worried by not believeing.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doublemint

Honestly I am sick of seeing it here. In this kind of place your just asking for a drawn out argument thats been had over and over, and the Jesus lovers eventually end up repeating a few choice statements when they are finally bested. Now, I'm no Athiest- but I subscribe to nothing....and feel that these cosmic ideas are quite beyond human comprehension. You may find that alot of Athiest WOULD believe in some of these grand concepts personally...but they wood sooner wait for some kind of evidence....or some kind of understanding. Regardless the religious nuts keep on trying to convert convert convert. Somebody give it a rest.

they can only try and convert you if you acknowledge them and they can only convert you if you allow then to, so there is nothing to worry about unless you are worried by not believeing.

And that's exactly where the OP fails.

Because it's not only a question of emotions vs. intellect, faith vs. science/logic, the weird idea of opposition to intolerance being intolerance also....

......or the more noisy parts of the christianities saying: "But we 'ONLY' killed 2-5 million europeans during the inquisition", and we are civilized now and promise not to do it again......

......it's a question of some contemporary christians, making themselves representatives of christianity, who STILL fight for extra-parliamentary privileges and mess with politics; who STILL hijack, twist or deform competing truth/reality-seeking systems (science or competing religions); who STILL try to interfere with educational systems; and who STILL don't consider children as existentially autonomous individuals with individual minds; and who STILL fight other christians about who the 'true' christians are.

Surely and verily, they will go away, if we pretend not to notice them.
edit on 1-8-2011 by bogomil because: syntax

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by drew1749 It seems some Atheists have this "SMARTER THAN YOU" attitude. And apparently I'm not the only person who sees this.

It seems some Christians have this "SMARTER THAN YOU" attitude. And apparently I'm not the only person who sees this.

It seems some Democrats have this "SMARTER THAN YOU" attitude. And apparently I'm not the only person who sees this.

It seems some Republicans have this "SMARTER THAN YOU" attitude. And apparently I'm not the only person who sees this.

It seems some Conspiracy Theorists have this "SMARTER THAN YOU" attitude. And apparently I'm not the only person who sees this.

Get the point? Typically, for every belief system, there's gonna be some bad examples within the people who believe in it. It means nothing. To me, it's an Ad Hominem, and doesn't say a thing about the belief systems themselves.

Honestly, after the big recent "Atheism is just plain stupid" thread, and two others big ones attacking evolution(filled mostly with people not versed in the topic at all) this one is completely uncalled for. Shouldn't bash on a few of one side acting smarter, while the recent attention has been on your side being arrogant and acting smarter instead. Complete double standard.

-
I don't attack anyone's beliefs based of the actions of a minority within those beliefs. It'd be respectable if mine weren't attacked for those petty reasons too. If I were you, I'd change the topic to "Dear Elists (Everybody)", and complain about people being overly arrogant, regardless of what side they're on.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by xxsomexpersonxx

But it's directed at the atheists who do this so I wont change the topic.

Also I'm not attacking you. I was just pointing out that a majority of the community likes to attack Christians for their beliefs.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by drew1749

Also I'm not attacking you. I was just pointing out that a majority of the community likes to attack Christians for their beliefs.

You don't understand the difference between a majority, and a loud minority.

Christians attack atheists just as often if not more. And this is even worse in real life, where many never have to justify prejudices about atheists being immoral, sinners, nihilists, or devil worshipers.

I see when an atheist steps out of line, just like I see when a christian steps out of line. If you could see without biasing that to, you'd see no reason to complain about atheists in particular.

Or, if you see christians being as bad as atheists, and you only want to complain about atheists because they believe differently. I don't even have words for how much I disagree with that, it's just pathetic reasoning for judgement.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   

It may have escaped your attention, but 'decent' christians turn up on this forum from time to time, without any overly 'preaching'/converting aspirations. They are mostly treated far more leniently than the 'we-are-divinely-sanctioned-for-invasive-attitudes' self-proclaimed rights from the holy manual.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
how about this:

people should stop posting this kind of nonsense in general. it does nothing but piss people off. since we all live on this planet and share the same fate REGARDLESS what the invisible man in the sky looks like and if he exists of not, we should just drop the general subject. it does not matter in the end. if anything the planet and the star it orbits around are our 'God(s)' for those two bodies dictate what happens to us.

but i will say this: atheism has never been responsible for the MILLIONS of innocent deaths that religion, whether it be christianity, islam, judaism, hinduism, buddhism, or whatever other religion, is.

end of topic. christianity isnt right. atheism isnt right. no theological or philosophical belief on where man came from along with the rest of the world and universe will ever be correct unless we go back in time and see for ourselves.

none of it matters. what matters is our existence and how we go about living.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   

you'd see no reason to complain about atheists in particular.

But Im not. lol

but 'decent' christians turn up on this forum from time to time, without any overly 'preaching'/converting aspirations. They are mostly treated far more leniently than the 'we-are-divinely-sanctioned-for-invasive-attitudes' self-proclaimed rights from the holy manual.

I don't use this forum often. I'm posting based on the internet in general. They get all uptight if you believe in God. I always try to not bring it up with people because they get all pushy on me. I mean I'm not going to push my religion on you so calm down.

This is the ideal casual conversation (not debate. I'm not talking about intellectual debates):

Atheist: "Hey man, whats up?"

Christian: "Not much just got out of Church. you?"

Atheist: "Just woke up you know how it is.
"

This is how it usually goes with me:

A: "Hey what's up?"

C: "Got out of Church, You?"

A: "YOU GO TO CHURCH YOU'RE STUPID! HAR"

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   

reply to post by Partygirl

Look this thread my basic point is. If you're atheist lovely that's great for you. But I don't care when I tell you I can't hang out because I have church don't get on your high horse about how stupid I am for going to church. Shut your mouth and let me go.

It isn't any of your business.

Sorry personal experience but a lot of people on ats have this attitude.

I don't align myself with any group, but if I had to pick one like a multiple choice answer, I'd say I was atheist. In my experience, atheists are not allowed to voice their beliefs (or disbeliefs) publicly. Most of my life I've known that there were certain things that were to be discussed in back rooms and behind closed doors, while having to constantly listen to the Jesus story from every Christian that crossed my path as though I'd never heard it before. You learn to just let it go and keep your mouth shut because saying you don't believe could have a bad effect on your life and career, etc. You are hearing more about atheism, now. That's a good thing. They are finally feeling free to organize without being burned at the stake. They've had to listen to Christians all their lives spewing the same tired story at them. Do you blame them at this point for poking back?

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   

you'd see no reason to complain about atheists in particular.

But Im not. lol

Oh really?

This is a forum, it's too easy to point out when you're contradicting yourself.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   

I'm directing it specifically at the elitest mentality. As you said it's easy to point out when someone's wrong. You are.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I would LOVE to see everyone come together and just love one another for their differences. I am on the fence with most subjects but do get more emotional with other subjects. Especially when it comes to a "Source" of ALL and of course ....my children.

I have had more arguments with "Christians" sadly. I grew up seeking and searching in all denominations and religions. I am still seeking. I "think" I have some answers which leads me to a "Source" some may call God. The Christian shuns me....the atheist shuns me....and I am ok with it because I do not want to be a part of any thing but my own thing.

Its when someone else pushs a belief on someone else that I become more emotional because I do not like social conflict. I like and feel best when I am surrounded by people who just accept others differences and try to learn from them.

Life is about learning....we can ALL learn from one another.

Peace and love to you all!!!!!!! xoxoxoxox

Jenn

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   

I can have a very sharp tongue, when I'm in opposition to christian missionaries.

But in my 1½ year on ATS I also have made some 'friends' here, who are theists, mainly of the NT-oriented type. The opposing opinions are then mostly banter, where criticism manifests as humour.

PS I address this to you, as you used a quote from me just above.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join