It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what does the windows service pack 2 change???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 01:35 PM
link   
ok i just installed the windows SP2 and the ONLY things i noticed so far was some weird pop-up blocker that i dont need (i used norton), a weird thing that will not allow me to download files unless i click "yes" (this is a very annoying feature), and an anti-virus which i dont use (i use norton)...

some people have been saying that it makes windows faster but my computer is already super fast so i dont notice a change in speed (if there is even a change)...

soooooo...

what ELSE does SP2 change???

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 11:26 PM
link   
List of fixes introduced in SP2.

Microsoft URL

Also, the anti-virus you speak of... It's not an anti-virus, but simply a monitoring tool to help you keep your Anti-virus up to date, etc.

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Behind the scenes, the service packs close some of the security holes that make XP swiss cheese.....

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Actually, services packs or any updates for that mather, usually slow down a little your PCs, not speed them up. But they're necessary for security purpose, as Gaz already said.

One of the coolest change is the automatic (really automatic this time) updates. You don't need to tell him to install 'em once they're downloaded, they install by it-self.

Also, it gives you more option on that thing that they dare call a "firewall" but that is just, in reality, uber crap.

[Edited on 20-8-2004 by m0rbid]

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I'm fixin' to format my disk this weekend so I thought I'd install it. Otherwise I would have waited, and there's something about even number service packs, lol.

I thought MS was staying away from adding functionality to service packs, they have stated they'd release features differently, like in their 'option pack' back in the NT 4 days.

This security stuff they have added will probably benefit home users who are getting nailed w/ viruses, popups, spyware, etc. For the corporate enviroment it'll cause problems, I see this MS firewall crap hosing up many corp. applications.

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bob88
This security stuff they have added will probably benefit home users who are getting nailed w/ viruses, popups, spyware, etc. For the corporate enviroment it'll cause problems, I see this MS firewall crap hosing up many corp. applications.

Actually, we started testing it in networks environnement in the past days, and as long as you turn back off the stupid software firewall, everything works fine.

What I don't like is that it adds 2 or 3 executables to the list of executables that always run when windows start, but I haven't found how or where they launch them. If they're services, I don't know wich one of them they are. I'm not speaking about the security center, I've already shutted this one off.

E_T

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 03:09 AM
link   
You better check this list before updating:
support.microsoft.com...

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 08:18 PM
link   
ATTN: Dell owners

I went to the Microsoft SP2 page www.microsoft.com...
to read up on what to do and what to expect.
I have a Dell Dimension 4500, so I went to the dell link and read that I should upgrade my BIOS.

Dell techs emailed me back. Here is part of their response:

"As per your mail, I understand is that you want to download SP2.

M. _______, installing SP2 may cause a lot of issues with your system.
It might even result to installing the entire operating system to your
computer.

I need to inform you that Dell has not come up with the patches and the fixes which might enable to install SP2 successfully in your system. We will definately let you and all other customers know as soon as we come up with the patches."

Dell owners, be aware.

[Edited on 5-9-2004 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
ATTN: Dell owners

I went to the Microsoft SP2 page www.microsoft.com...
to read up on what to do and what to expect.
I have a Dell Dimension 4500, so I went to the dell link and read that I should upgrade my BIOS.

Dell techs emailed me back. Here is part of their response:

"As per your mail, I understand is that you want to download SP2.

M. _______, installing SP2 may cause a lot of issues with your system.
It might even result to installing the entire operating system to your
computer.

I need to inform you that Dell has not come up with the patches and the fixes which might enable to install SP2 successfully in your system. We will definately let you and all other customers know as soon as we come up with the patches."

Dell owners, be aware.

[Edited on 5-9-2004 by DontTreadOnMe]

i have a dell and there is no problems...

there might be one i can think of but it wasnt that serious (but it was annoying as hell to fix)

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by they see ALL
there might be one i can think of but it wasnt that serious (but it was annoying as hell to fix)

Yeah, that's the part I want to avoid. Annoying = time consuming + probably dealing with tech support + pain in the a$$.
That has been my experience after SP1.....:bnghd:

I think I will wait!

Oh, yeah, they see all....
did you have to update your BIOS??? If not, did you buy your Dell prior to October, 1992, when the update came out???

[Edited on 6-9-2004 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Yeah, that's the part I want to avoid. Annoying = time consuming + probably dealing with tech support + pain in the a$$.
That has been my experience after SP1.....:bnghd:

I think I will wait!

did you have to update your BIOS??? If not, did you buy your Dell prior to October, 1992, when the update came out???

i didnt update my BIOS (how do i do this) unless the SP2 did that for me...

1992???

that was a LONG time ago...

my dell is new...

i got it in december 2003 (but it was made about 2 years before then)...

hope that helps...

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by they see ALL

i didnt update my BIOS (how do i do this) unless the SP2 did that for me...

1992???

that was a LONG time ago...

my dell is new...

i got it in december 2003 (but it was made about 2 years before then)...

hope that helps...

:bnghd: OMG, see what the mere thought of SP2 does to my brain....I meant 2002, not 1992, yikes...
I can't even imagine XP would run on a PC that old

I doubt SP2 updates your BIOS. It looks to be a Dell upgrade, so I doubt MS would be helpful there.
But, hey, I don't even know what a BIOS is

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 08:37 PM
link   
well not matter what year it was the answer is no...

so i must update my BIOS???

o0o well im not f*in up my dell...

i havent had a major problem yet and i had it for a month...

if something happins, maybe i can sue

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 08:42 PM
link   
2 years ago I updated my Dell's bios and I can no-longer use the operating system that the computer came with. I haven't had any problems doing this but I don't recommend it unless it absolutely necessary. It also voids any Dell warranty and any customer services.

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 08:42 PM
link   
TSA, I you already did SP2, I wouldn't mess with the BIOS upgrade. Dell seems to have conflicting stories on whether or not the upgrade is needed, so I'm waiting to see what they tell me next.
And waiting... and waiting.

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 10:03 PM
link   

TSA, I you already did SP2, I wouldn't mess with the BIOS upgrade. Dell seems to have conflicting stories on whether or not the upgrade is needed, so I'm waiting to see what they tell me next.
And waiting... and waiting.

i did the SP2 update and had one little problem...

for me the upgrade was NOT needed (check my first post) but i did it just for the sake of updating...

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I got as soon as i saw this post and I dont see any difference the only difference it the amount of mb it took away from my c drive

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thug69
I got as soon as i saw this post and I dont see any difference the only difference it the amount of mb it took away from my c drive

yupp thats a negative on my list

new topics

top topics

join