It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A rather boring and trivial question that i have wanted to asked my american friends for a while now

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I always rememberd that line from Pulp Fiction too because it is a subtle inversion of the usual movie/popular culture trope whereby "tough manly heroes drink black coffee." There has always been a kind of unspoken cultural assumption that "real men drink black coffee" and that if you load up on creme and sugar you are a whimp. (Being a girl I don't have to worry about these things personally lol). . But of course this is stupid because what does food taste have to do with courage or anything else? So in the movie we see the Wolf (probably the most no-nonsense, competent character in the flick) loading up on creme and sugar in his coffee.

I think that movie is a foul-mouthed and has e gratuitious violence, but I love the way it stands a lot of cliches (major and minor)on their heads.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by thedoctorswife

Dear thedoctorswife,

If that is your picture your looking pretty good there for any age, in my early 50s and not looking good. Based on the fat contents that prior posters listed showing the difference between the UK and US, we don't use what you would consider cream. "Your answer was defintly my favourite cream related answer. Im not actually married to a doctor i am just a very sad 40 year old woman with a dr who obsession. Thankyou for the explanation, but why did the farming people use cream when they could have just used milk (Forgive me i lost my agricultural degree certificate down the back of the sofa)." Firstly, I hope you appreciate that I too have misused the quote function. You are not the only one who can do that. Now, lets get to what is really important, I cried when I knew that my dear Sarah Jane had died. I love Dr Who also but Elisabeth Sladen crushed my heart. Wait, isn't this about cream, I want some Ice Cream. I do hope that I have answered your questions, quelled a riot and brought peace to all men and women, women are prettier, why would any woman find a man attractive? Beyond me. Was that a satisfactory ATS answer, if not I will push the delete button and end my life.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I like evaporated milk in my coffee or half & half.....if I'm out of those, I use milk.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by AQuestion

Dear thedoctorswife,

If that is your picture your looking pretty good there for any age, in my early 50s and not looking good. Based on the fat contents that prior posters listed showing the difference between the UK and US, we don't use what you would consider cream. "Your answer was defintly my favourite cream related answer. Im not actually married to a doctor i am just a very sad 40 year old woman with a dr who obsession. Thankyou for the explanation, but why did the farming people use cream when they could have just used milk (Forgive me i lost my agricultural degree certificate down the back of the sofa)." Firstly, I hope you appreciate that I too have misused the quote function. You are not the only one who can do that. Now, lets get to what is really important, I cried when I knew that my dear Sarah Jane had died. I love Dr Who also but Elisabeth Sladen crushed my heart. Wait, isn't this about cream, I want some Ice Cream. I do hope that I have answered your questions, quelled a riot and brought peace to all men and women, women are prettier, why would any woman find a man attractive? Beyond me. Was that a satisfactory ATS answer, if not I will push the delete button and end my life.

That was a most satisfactory answer, i dont know whats wrong with my pc at the moment i went to type the word "that" and the menu for harvester salad cart came up.
Anyway aside from that, i did not know Elisabeth Sladen had died, just to keep things on topic, ELisabeth was amongst the cream of british actress,s. God i HATE HATE cancer, and if some person (a word way too obscene to put in here) has the cure and is not giving it, god help them.
Can i also say american icecream, ben and his mate, is a bit on the pricey side too. We have an icecream parlour in the city i live in, and its in the top ten best ice cream joints in the Uk which is quite impressive really, thats about the most impressive thing we have actually apart from the doctorswifes ability to do such an excelllent job of messing up people quotes after a few drinks.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Its a legit question.

Basically "cream" or creamer, can mean anything that is going to lighten the coffee. Do some people use real cream? Yes. Many use half n half, which is a good middle ground, and still call it cream. But it can mean any milk like product or even the fake creamer, which is an abomination.

But I will say that the whole cream users are pretty much a small percentage, as it does make it pretty rich and fattening.

Now I don't think we drink the most coffee, I think some European countries have that title, but we have made it as complicated as it can possibly be. Some people sound like they are ordering coffee in another language.
But it is thought that coffee fueled the industrial revolution in the US, so we do have a love affair with it,and that has boomed like crazy the past ten years.

But if I had to pick one, it would be the half n half, which many people simply call creamer.

And pulp fiction will go down in movie classic history. I love that movie, it has no plot, I can't stand violence, lol. Yet you can't take your eyes off it. It single handedly brought back John Travolta's career, or we would of never heard of him again. Tarentino is just brilliant in a very odd way.
edit on 1-8-2011 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I actually prefer my coffee with single cream.
Probably explains how I put on so much weight lately.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Dear thedoctorswife,

I shall ponder my response and make sure that I have had at least two glasses of Pinot Noir before attempting to say anything of value. Personally, I find that the quality of my answers goes down after a few drinks but I enjoy writing them much more. As they say in Mexico, "Salud, Amor, Dineor Y El Tiempo Para Gozarlos".

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex

I like my coffee the same way I like my gal.

With attitude and bitter.
No cream and suga for me.

Cant resist...must post ...

HOT and BLACK

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Dear thedoctorswife,

I want you to know that I have not eaten today, it is almost 8 at night and I have had two glasses of wine, so, I now believe I am almost ready to discuss the finer points of tea, coffee and cream; but, another glass of wine will be required so there may still be a delay. Be well in the meantime. I also wish to ask a question, I have known a few Russian ladies (your Vodka reference and picture have me inclined to believe you may be Russian or from that area). If so, I have to ask you a question about a phrase that I have heard. Now, to the wine, no cream.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by AQuestion

Dear thedoctorswife,

I want you to know that I have not eaten today, it is almost 8 at night and I have had two glasses of wine, so, I now believe I am almost ready to discuss the finer points of tea, coffee and cream; but, another glass of wine will be required so there may still be a delay. Be well in the meantime. I also wish to ask a question, I have known a few Russian ladies (your Vodka reference and picture have me inclined to believe you may be Russian or from that area). If so, I have to ask you a question about a phrase that I have heard. Now, to the wine, no cream.

No i am not russian, but i do love russian vodka, google my location and you will find where i hail from.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Dear thedoctorswife,

I learned something new. Cymru is Wales. I did not know that. George Bernard Shaw once said that America and Great Britain were two countries divided by a common language. Hope all is well, I am busy writing up a business plan for my Director and unfortunately no wine for me until I am done. Goodbye from across the pond.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I'm American and I love my coffee with cream (half and half) and sugar.

I remember when I flew British Airways, they looked at me funny when I asked for cream and not milk. They weren't too keen on giving it up either!

I also drink a blueberry coffee where I use french vanilla creamer and I dont need sugar with that coffee. The creamer is sweet.

Ok now I want coffee and it's 3pm!

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
OK, the next time I fly British Airways I will just ask them what their coffee options are! I avoid all dairy products, but I do enjoy soymilk in my coffee. And yes, you have to pay a lot extra for soymilk at Starbucks, whether or not the soymilk is heated (as in their fancy lattes). Coffee prices are obscene at most outlets. McDonald's actually has the best cheap coffee but I only buy there when there is No Other Alternative. In Los Angeles my favorite coffee shop is the UnUrban Cafe on Pico Blvd. in West Los Angeles.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by granpabobby

I would tend to agree with you granpabobby
No offense to those who like cream and sugar in their coffee, I once also drank it that way and because of all the extra calories decided to omit and enjoy COFFEE as it is! Adding cream to your coffee would therefore make it a latte in my opinion BLACK COFFEE all the way!

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Well, I drink my coffee, I am a 8 cup per day man, with 3-4 spoonfuls of sugar, and non dairy creamer. I have been drinking it that way for many years now. I have a problem with my pancreas, it does not produce some of the essential sugars I need to live. Without these, I go into Gran Mal seizures, and eventual coma. I might add I control this with High-fructose corn syrup in the soda pop I drink, 5-6 cans daily. My doctors are simply amazed at this, and with some other anomalies I seem to have.

posted on Jun, 26 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   
9/10 I drink it black because I'm lazy.

Really though, I like it with milk and sugar, but I believe everyone just says cream and sugar.
Someone mentioned heavy whipping cream...I buy that sometimes for recipes and usually have half a container left. I throw it in my coffee to use it up. It is pretty good! My father in law uses half n half in his breakfast cereal, like Cherrios.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 12:07 AM
link   

i know find myself living in a world where a starbucks coffee costs 3 quid, i can buy a meal in a caff for that, please no offence meant to you americans personally, been a few times and i love americans but god how bizarre a 3 quid cuppa coffee. i think i should ask for cream just to get value for money.

Uhh...

Whats a quid?

We have 24oz coffee now at Tim Hortons

And they wonder why people over here are fat

approx. 420 callories for a triple triple...

And i know people that drink several of these beasts a day!!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join