It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fight to Keep Children Away From Killer Is Lost

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Trisha Conlon’s motherly instinct seems reasonable: she does not want her teenage boys living with a woman who shot and killed her own daughters in their sleep 20 years ago.

Mr. Cushing, who lives on Vashon Island south of Seattle, is back together with his first wife, Kristine, who used a .38-caliber handgun to kill their daughters, who were 4 and 8, at their home in Orange County, Calif., in 1991. The killings shocked the well-to-do community of Laguna Niguel. Many wondered how Kristine Cushing — who seemed like a “super-mom,” ferrying the girls to music, soccer, dance and the orthodontist as her husband was on military assignments overseas — could snap so tragically. She blamed a bad reaction to Prozac for the killings, was found not guilty by reason of insanity and served nearly four years in a mental institution.

I found this rather disturbing. So a woman murders her two daughters, gets off with an insanity plea, and is allowed to live with 2 children. Granted, it is very rare someone gets off the hook with a plea of insanity, so perhaps she was insane at the time. I think the mother of these children has the right (if not duty) to keep her sons away from this woman, even if everything was caused by a bad reaction to Prozac.

I consider the father to be an absolute dirt bag. He lied to his ex-wife about having the boys around this woman, and instructed the boys to lie also.

So ATS what do you think? Should someone who murdered her children be allowed near children in the first place? If the mother of hose children is against it should the govt. be able to force her to let the kids stay with the father and his wife (who he apparently never divorced)?

Link

edit on 31-7-2011 by Domo1 because: + link

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

The murderer should absolutely not be in a home with children and the exhusband should have his custody arrangement challenged when he lied and asked his children to lie about her. Why lie if there is no problem?
The government shouldn't have a say in it either way, however, the father is not demonstrating common sense. It's a toss up. I don't believe in a Nanny State, but unfortunately some people are incapable of making intelligent decisions and children sometimes pay the price for this. Who is looking out for the children? I think the mother should contact an underground agency that will hide her and her children if they are forced to live with this man and the murderer - making her a "criminal" but keeping the children from harm's way.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Absolutely. The woman was unstable, and likely still is. Child molesters can't be around children... why should a murderer have better rights. There should be a website of men and women who kill children too. Not just sex-offenders. The mother of the boys should be allowed to say who is caring for her children when she isn't there. If at the very least the wife shouldn't be allowed alone with them.
edit on 31-7-2011 by CeeRZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Wow, even though we don't know all the details, I have to say that taking a gun and shooting your kids as a side effect of Prozac is tragically bizarre. It seems like the story is suggesting that the jury believes this "bad reaction to Prozac" led to her insanity, causing her to murder. If this is the case, I hope someone with power takes a hard look at the dangers of Prozac. That stuff should have been pulled from the shelves long ago, IMO.

,I don't blame that mother one bit for wanting to keep her kids away from that woman.

Why the hell did that man go back into a relationship with that woman after she killed his previous children? He needs to be evaluated for possible insanity, too!

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Littletruthseeker

I'm against the idea of a Nanny State too, and also realize that many times things are done 'for he sake of the children' but this is one of those times where I think the state should be intervening on behalf of the mother. I cannot imagine a father who would continue a relationship with the woman who murdered his daughters. Even more horrifying, a man that continues a relationship with said murderer, and then allows her to be around his children from another woman. She's already unstable, those kids represent him having a relationship with someone else.

If this woman truly did just snap, well then I suppose I do't hate her, but I DAMN well think she should not be living with children, especially children born of another mother.

I thought this was really gross too:

“I have to look at this dispassionately,” Commissioner Ponomarchuk said. “Would I ever want my children around her? I would say no. But that is an emotional reaction coming from a parent.”

Same source as OP

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
...the judge was right, imo... he said he wouldnt want her around his own kids, then said that was an emotional response due to him being a parent but he's bound by law to not render a prejudicial (emotionally based) judgement...

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Wow - just wow! Anyone who violently kills another when it's not self-defense is insane in my book. Sounds like she had a good lawyer is all. She probably also has one of those sweet faces and can make anyone believe anything she says even when it's all out lies. Prozac or not, she shouldn't be around kids. Dad can see them during the day - take them to movies or a game - and bring them back home afterwards. Honestly, I'm surprised those boys don't mind being around her.
edit on 31-7-2011 by mjfromga because: grammar

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by mjfromga

I wonder if the boys even know her past. I guess I'll go read the article again but I don't think it mentioned the boy's feelings. Good point though. What if the kids are terrified of her? Should they still be forced to stay?

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
This crap happens EVERYWHERE! Between DCF and the courts, kids involved in custody battles always seem to lose. I have been extremely close to several open and shut cases, one including a woman who tried to drown her kids in tub and another which was a victim of physical abuse, whose child will not eat or talk in the presence of the husband. They keep getting their days in court despite repeatedly not fulfilling the courts requirements. I could go on and on.

I think the only solution is to have these cases decided by a panel of parents. It is obvious that these judges have incentive not to do the right thing or they would start doing the right thing.

Half of me wants complete economic collapse so we have to opportunity to overhaul just about every legal and financial system in this country. The other half wishes for a deal to keep my means of living intact.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by NightGypsy
I have to say that taking a gun and shooting your kids as a side effect of Prozac is tragically bizarre.

...just last year a woman in florida shot and killed her two teenagers... i dont remember if prozac was among her list of meds but it doesnt matter... theres lots of meds that can make a person psychotic - especially anti-depressants and anti-psychotics and its not always because the person isnt taking them properly...

I hope someone with power takes a hard look at the dangers of Prozac. That stuff should have been pulled from the shelves long ago, IMO.

...theres no one in power that has enough integrity to not be influenced by the mega-billions in big pharma...

I don't blame that mother one bit for wanting to keep her kids away from that woman.

...i dont either but i still think the judge was right - and - besides, i dont know the trash on the mother, only the trash on the first miz cushing... for all i know, the 2nd miz cushing is resentful that her husband went back to his first wife and its more about that than protecting her sons...

Why the hell did that man go back into a relationship with that woman after she killed his previous children?

...happens all the time and not just with mentally distressed people... theres tons of cases where one spouse accidentally killed their children (like in a car wreck) and the other spouse forgave them... this is no different...

He needs to be evaluated for possible insanity, too!

...based upon what?... your emotional response to sparse info?... some could say thats insane...

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by sligtlyskeptical

So all these criminals in high-security prisons who committed heinous while on drugs but have since cleaned up should be released because they were insane when they committed the crimes? Forgive and forget. What's the difference? One drug might be legal and prescribed and the other not legal or not prescribed, but none of them would have done the crime if they had been clean. Drug users don't just wake up one day and say, gee, I think I'll become an addict. They were talked into doing drugs by someone. Sounds to me like she just had a better lawyer and was probably cuter.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Then you have those two 14-year-old children who stuck their butts in somebody's face as a gag and now have to register as sex offenders. They won't ever be able to be around children. This woman, however, kills her own kids and is let off and now she thinks she should be able to live with other kids. Sick. The judge should have taken into consideration that she lied, the ex-husband lied, and they forced the kids to lie about it. They are obviously people who will go to any length to get what they want and to satisfy their desires and screw the well-being of the kids.

top topics

join