It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two guys build a legal homemade drone that can crack wifi and cell data.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
www.digitaltrends.com...

The article states and ex-air force official and a model plane hobbyist teamed up to build this machine. The drone has a 6ft wingspan, weighs 14 pounds, and is powered by electric. Aside from the electric motor and batteries it carries an HD camera, a small arm based linux computer, and 32 GB of solid state storage. The linux install features a software suite called backtrack which has the capability to hack cel networks and wifi networks. Somehow this thing is legal by the FCC, I'm assuming since it isn't broadcasting.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Cool, I need to find the specs for it.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
We are on a slippery slope these days as our Technology surpasses our wisdom.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I can tell you Backtrack is used to crack Wifi. It's not always easy though.

Cracking someone's wifi doesn't give you access to someone's password protected PC though.

I'm not sure if Backtrack works on cell phones.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by wiandiii

Its against federal state and local law to listen in on cell phone / telephone conversations. As far as the wifi goes there are laws in place for that also...
chekc your local laws for more info.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Actually there's even laws about what resolution pics you are allowed to take..

I think it's max 50cm/pixel...Though it's aimed at satellites I don't know if it relates to this..

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
backtrack has came a long way from whoppix a long time ago i was part of the beta team for it this is interesting to build and it wouldn't take much to make ever wouldn't mind seeing the specs

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
So first we had Warchalking and then Wardriving. So do we now have "Warflying"?

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Partygirl

Wardrving haven't done that in years but warflying you would hope that no one hacks ur drone and crashes it

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack

Actually there's even laws about what resolution pics you are allowed to take..

I think it's max 50cm/pixel...Though it's aimed at satellites I don't know if it relates to this..

Thats a new one to me.. Can you shoot me a link or get me some more info on that?

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Yeah, I was amazed also...
The links are in the Moon Hoax thread..

But here's one that talks about the issue but doesn't discuss the actual law in the US..

It does however speak of Israel who want even stricter rules, 3 meters per pixel.

www.biu.ac.il...

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by xmetalgear

Oh you're on to something there. They could make a whole game out of who could hack the others drone first and convert it to a lawn dart.

I've been noticing a lot of reports in the last year, especially about lights and hovering things in the sky and I mean small things. A thread recently talked about a light that seemed to be within a giant tree or just outside it's branches... I wonder if a good % is private citizens with a few thousand dollars starting to play and experiment with these things..and of course, not giving thought to what people who see these might think.

I'd found 100% stable 4 rotor "helicopter" type platforms built to carry up to a kilo of payload (designed more for cameras that anything) and capable of running a mile or more by real time video feed back. Line of sight for visual reference wasn't important, just signal strength for control. These ran $4-$10,000. I imagine we'll start seeing a lot more of these buzzing around cities as people buy more and the price comes down.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:22 AM
link   
If you know what you are doing you can build these cheap with arm computer and a backtrack distro and maybe have i dont know a gps and plot a map out to it follows it
edit on 2-8-2011 by xmetalgear because: spelling

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Nice Post OP, read about this earlier today, here's a "hack" site with more info on the plane.

hackaday.com...

It runs backtrack OS, and everything else about the plane is actually very simple to set-up, IMO backtrack would be the hardest to config

and here is the site

here
edit on 2-8-2011 by Nobama because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:30 AM
link   
I have lots of software like that in ,my laptop, it's no big deal. It's like having a gun, or a car. It's legal because there are many good legit uses for it like testing networks by system administrators. But just like a gun or car, it can be used for illegal purposes, but is not illegal in itself.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nobama
Nice Post OP, read about this earlier today, here's a "hack" site with more info on the plane.

hackaday.com...

It runs backtrack OS, and everything else about the plane is actually very simple to set-up, IMO backtrack would be the hardest to config

and here is the site

here
edit on 2-8-2011 by Nobama because: (no reason given)

backtrack is easy to setup if you know ur way around linux its more than less installing and configure the packages at the moment im working on a simpler project

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by xmetalgear

This isn't the GUI version of backtrack it's all done from code, everything was configured and complied from scratch, to work with the multiple devices attached to the plane/

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Nobama

Yea i know im doing a simler thing in code as well and there's allso a option to run a gui interface if you really wanted to but just running it in code form would save on some power life.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
ok. Everyone no more cellphones or wifi. If they monitor who would now.

top topics

join