It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Famine in East Africa: Why Does Nobody Care?

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Unless Africa builds its governments from the groundup then sending aid won't remedy the issue, it will just make the disparity there even clearer.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by OwenGP185

Talk about idiots loose in the world...why are these slugs given a platform to speak from?

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
They need a complete overhaul, but the question i keep coming across is where do you start to correct a situation that has gotten this out of control? When a problem grows to this level there isn’t a obvious simple fix, or it would already be done.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I also want to post something that hit me a few years ago, i was watching a children in need feed which went something like this -: "mia, jian and sian must walk over 12 miles a day to collect clean water" and it hit me that what seemed to be lacking is co-opperation, it seemed that they simply didnt have the mental capacity or logic path (sorry if this sounds insulting i believe i was about 13 when i first thought this) to work together for the good of a unit. 1 person will fetch water, get home and cook the food her man has collected (if any).
where as every developed civilation in their early history learnt to work together, instead of 1 person doing each job someone would be assigned to fetch the water (say on shoulder sticks so he/she could bring back more than one load), i thought that if mia collected the water with shoulder straps that would leave jian and sian to do something more productive.
It also seems to me that they are desperate to leap an essential stage in their development, when you compare them to tribes in remote parts of china etc, who are steadily developing and learning. It seems africans have see what everyone else has got and just put their hands out and expect to be given it.
If an african tribe learns to dig a well, that knowledge will spread throughout the neibouring tribes and it will be knowledge learnt, however if we go in and dig the well for them nothing is learned and suddenly their is a hundred tribes who have heard of the well we have dug for them and they would like us to do the same for them.

Rant said

And please dont take this as any form of social racism because it isnt - it is what i see as fact, if an alien spieces came down to earth with tech like replicators, or the cure for cancer i have no doubt i would rather just be given the tech because its quicker and easier.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by bluwindRD

That commercial you speak of is crap...for the money put into producing and airing it,20 wells could have been dug for 20 villages,40 if you put it in the middle of two of them..but then,there is that lack of cooperation we see so often in africa and other places that have sunk to that level.....like the Red Cross after 9/11 when the millions came pouring in,they decided to keep it and use it for "future" emergencies....they had to MAKE those pricks give the money where it was intended...its all about money....plenty of goobers make bucks off those programs....
edit on 8/1/2011 by Homedawg because: dawgbreath

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons

Originally posted by bluwindRD
I think the majority of people want to help but they fear helping.. how many people here would honestly board a plane to somalia knowing they could be kidnapped and ransom'd, and the peron who pays your ransom will be locked up by their govenment. Its crazy, the rest of the world needs to get together and create a massive task force who can go into countries like these and freeze the current govenment while they fix problems like trade, irrigation, food shortages and medical problems.

All those powers already exist in theory with the Security Council.

Aye unfortunatly the security council works more in words than anything else, yes they are seen to act on genocide and such attoricties. Unfortunatly they all meet and decide that the world needs to provide more aide, or that the government in question must do more to help their people. if only they had/would use their power to mobiles a task force with the purpose of giving water to the whole of africa.. i think a quote for a clean water drill was only $5000 dollars, not much really, maybe when america and the uk have paid off all their debts they can use some of the spare cash to by a couple hundred thousand of these

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Homedawg

I agree 100% that any money given has little if no chance to reach its destination, stoped by govenment and used to by a bigger armament.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I am sorry if this been posted before, but It would have been too long to re-read all this thread.

Why are you saying no one cares? Canada has given 72M$ so far.
soure: CBC News

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wirral Bagpuss
I also find it appalling that even now in the 21st century whilst we have the technology and means to feed everyone on the planet...

We do not have the technology and means to feed everyone on the planet. United States is also suffering from a similar problem. We cannot create food out of thin air. I wish we could, but we just can't.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a ton of aid goes to africa every day from all over the world.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Why Does Nobody Care?

In my opinion.. sadly...

Because even if those in power might argue that we have any strategic interests there (which they may not perceive there to be at all in the first place,) they have not calculated that saving those people from that disaster is in those interests.

Because the media does not report that which is commonplace and creeping (and sadly, famine in Africa is commonplace and has been creeping, if it can be called that, for a long time) but rather only that which is sensational.

Because it doesn't involve celebrities, terrorism, the national debt, our forces at war, a sudden disaster, or a murder trial.

And because it's Africa.

Just my two cents. Peace.

Edit to note: I'm not saying my opinion is that no one in the world cares or that no aid goes to Africa. Just that it(clearly, in my opinion) isn't sufficient (or sufficiently distributed at least) and that the media isn't exactly jumping up and down to report it.
edit on 8/1/2011 by AceWombat04 because: Clarification

edit on 8/1/2011 by AceWombat04 because: Typo

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by pilotx
reply to post by PapaEmeritus

As one poster said, Africa doesn't need the world, but the world needs Africa.

The world has been raping Africa for centuries. And continues to do so.

Do you really think TPTB intend to "save" the Africans? They will not even save their own kind.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daivuk
I am sorry if this been posted before, but It would have been too long to re-read all this thread.

Why are you saying no one cares? Canada has given 72M$ so far.
soure: CBC News

The problem is, that's no where near enough to fix what's wrong.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
It's pretty much impossible to completely support a continent the size of Africa....Its unfortunate that they dont have birth control there, but they should be smarter to know that if you cant take care of yourself, you probably shouldnt be having sex bringing babies into that enviromnent....They are very irresponsible in that sense and the over populating of areas in East Africa mixed with droughts is a recipe for disaster. And now we are seeing this disaster unfold before our eyes...

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Section31

I also find it appalling that even now in the 21st century whilst we have the technology and means to feed everyone on the planet...

We do not have the technology and means to feed everyone on the planet. United States is also suffering from a similar problem. We cannot create food out of thin air. I wish we could, but we just can't.

I would oppose your point of view here and say we do have the tech to wipe out world hunger - it just isnt a high priority with the people who have the power to do it. Picture giant multistory greenhouses were the food is Genetically modified to give high yield crops, water is pumped into this mini eco system and the food is harvested mechanically window/blackout panels open and close automatically so the plants get the most optimum condisions, the sides of these buildings are made up of solar panels which not only power UV lights inside but also heat the building again to optimum growing conditions, drill wells deep or pipe the water far enough and you can place this giant greenhouses anywhere in the world - deserts, snow plains or 15 of them just outside new york. And scarily enough but if the situation becomes desperate enough you could even have poultry stored in much the same way (not very humane i grant you but if it comes to it, will the majority really oppose it).
edit on 1-8-2011 by bluwindRD because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
What they need is a plane ticket, to get out of there, not help, thats why nobody cares.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by galadofwarthethird
[...]
Second the populous of Africa will have to be culled of all degenerates and greedy fools, so make a list of all and any who are ultimately against the greater whole [...]

In fact the whole of the human race is in need of a culling regardless of color or race.

Though the list would be long no doubt in the tens of thousands of duchebags that shall have to be eliminated or dealt with, to bring a sort of autonomous order withing that whole area, and then let them live or die bye there own vocations and choices after that. Oh the list would be long of things to get rid of, anything from people, to ideas, to silly detrimental religions, to silly tribe warfare and war-leaders, it would be to long to list or put in writing in this thread. And that would just be a start.

[...]

Actually, this kind of thing has been tried before. And, no doubt, will be used again in the future. In fact, some believe "The Culling" is in progress now.

Unfortunately, this kind of thing is fraught with problems, such as deciding WHO gets to decide which people are classified as "douchebags" that need to be "eliminated." The term "douchebag" would have to be legally defined.
Big decisions who have to be made: should we use zyklon b again (as a nod to tradition) or maybe something else?

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
With all that many people dying,and no babies making it past 3,and all this been going on since they threw out the White Oppressors 30-40 years ago,just how many people does that place have?..or are the death rates exaggerated and the dead and starving babies being shown over and over to garner sympathy and thus,dollars?Otherwise the whole place would be a dead zone...or how it is that starving people who are on the edge of death able to breed like rabbits?
edit on 8/1/2011 by Homedawg because: dawgbreath

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Oh,I also forgot the AIDS epidemic thats killing millions every year....and then theres the plague,Ebola,malaria,snakes,buffalo,crocodiles and lions.....and there are how many still waiting to starve?..huh

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Where everyday is like a night at the Louisiana Superdome.

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join