It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Famine in East Africa: Why Does Nobody Care?

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Adyta

Fine and well, and agreed: it is good to talk openly without having to constantly worry of being misinterpreted and cast in the wrong light.

My statement was a way of saying, I dare those who hold such opinions to go to the people (and not their leaders) and say those very same things to them. 'You bag out too many kids, and fail to make an effort to learn.' There is such a thing as the fundamental attribution error, where the bias in judgment is placed on the person more than their environment.

I would not go to a country I know nothing about from first hand experience with its people and the conditions they are forced to live and grow in, and start talking out loud such opinions, especially when they are so pessimistic.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by KaiserSoze

Originally posted by bluemirage5
reply to post by noonebutme

Now how on earth can millions upon millions of starving poor Africans afford birth control?

How about self control? Or are you implying Africans are incapable of that, as appears to be the case?

racist ass...!!
self control...you mean with missionaries who they housed and protected who funneled power and wealth out of aftrica.....or the egyptians who looked after the greeks and romans, who then usurped the throne...what about the zulu....how about the people who traded slaves with the americans...how about the empirs of mali..and the empire of salasi...

they have self control..so do palastinians and mexicans....it seems that the fixed variable in all these things is the lack of self control amongst white foreigners...

your ignorant..and those images you watch give arrogance your ignorance....YOU NEED AFRICA MORE THAN AFRICA NEEDS YOU...

peace
edit on 1-8-2011 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I cannot say that I do not care because I do, but on the other hand I am kind of harsh in my words when I say let them be and learn for themselves. I never did understand why so many tend to help people like those whom have a outbreak of aids or because they are so poor then cannot eat. The way I see it when you have a group of human beings that can think for themselves and knowing they are so poor that they cannot feed themselves let alone kids like you see on TV ad's and yet continue to do what they are doing and having more kids and not farming or using the land in a way to be self supportive, why because people will take care of them. It is like people here in the states I see it all the time people wanting help because she works at BK and don't make enough money to support three kids and pay any bills and baby daddy's ain't no where to be located but hey its all good because I got food stamps and a support system to take care my needs so I can continue with my irrational behavior. or the people who stand around with a hand out because a storm came through and they relied so much on walmart for products that they would stand there and starve if no one helped them. I know I sound like a ass when I say if someone cannot have the right mind to say I cannot support my kids so let me not have any, like myself I might add, or I am hungry so let me get off my ass and go get some food, catch a fish do something, then let that person parish and make room for others whom have the mind to do something. And don't really know why I think that way other then having a parent who was irresponsible and have had been homeless when I was younger but as soon as I was old enough I got a job and 3 at a time if I needed more, I have insurance health and life, I took care of my Grandmother till she pasted away because she was mentally and physically unable to do it for herself anymore, but yet I don't see why being poor is any excuse for being stupid and not being able to do anything for yourself.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeventhSeal
No oil? No interest.

Simple as that.

Not likely, article from 2010

As much as half the food aid sent to Somalia is diverted from needy people to a web of corrupt contractors, radical Islamist militants and local United Nations staff members, according to a new Security Council report.
Related
www.nytimes.com...

The report, which has not yet been made public but was shown to The New York Times by diplomats, outlines a host of problems so grave that it recommends that Secretary General Ban Ki-moon open an independent investigation into the World Food Program’s Somalia operations. It suggests that the program rebuild the food distribution system — which serves at least 2.5 million people and whose aid was worth about $485 million in 2009 — from scratch to break what it describes as a corrupt cartel of Somali distributors.

www.guardian.co.uk...

KENYA-SOMALIA: Security risks overshadow aid delivery
www.irinnews.org...

Somali women fleeing famine preyed on by rapists
www.google.com...

Al Qaeda-linked Somali terrorists still ban Christian, foreign aid despite famine

Posted on 22 July 2011

Ali Mohamud Rage, spokesman of Al Shabaab, an al Qaeda-linked militant group, announced that it will continue to ban foreign aid in parts of the country that remain under its control, and denied that tens of thousands are on the threshold of starvation
“It is essential that the new camp is opened up … as part of the urgent humanitarian response to the worsening situation affecting both those arriving in camps and communities across the region,” Guttman said, according to Anglican Journal.

In 2009 Al Shabaab banned a number of foreign aid organizations in Southern Somalia, calling them Christian crusaders and spies. The following year, the U.N. World Food Program withdrew its workers amid threats and harassment.

theundergroundsite.com...

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Well Britain cares, and our government were one of the first of the mark to get some assistance organised. Its clearly not as much as anyone here would LIKE to do, but here I come to the reason why many other nations, the US included arent as active on this as one would expect.

The fact of the matter is that nations are actualy approaching big internal difficulties at the moment. Well established democratic nations are seeing thier finances collapsing around thier ears, and are having to accept austerity measures of one form or another. People within those nations are seeing thier personal finances stretched so tight that the merest non essential expenditures might cripple them.

Traditional sources of aid money are strapped at the moment, and I think more than ANYTHING that is whats causing the trouble. With the greatest of respect, Obamas hands are tied financialy at this point, and you only have to look at the sheer LUNACY of the time taken to organise an alternative to default in the USA to see that money worries on national scales are easily capable of scuppering any thought of foriegn aid.

The reality of the situation is this. Not only has this famine and drought come at the worst possible time in terms of government aid availability, but it has also come at the very worst time in terms of the availability of individual spare cash. I myself recognise a difference in my spending habits, and the amount of spare cash I have around to drop in charity boxes these days. Im a poor man, from a poor background, but I have always made an effort where possible to drop something in a box, or buy a homeless person a bite to eat and a cuppa if I have the money.

Right now, I have just about enough to meet my daily requirements. I do not have enough money to save up to move out to a place of my own, I do not have enough money for a car, nor do I tend to have enough money to have luxury items. I can drop maybe fifty pence out of a ten pound note, once in a while, but if I do more than that at the moment, the delicate equilibrium I have constructed for myself will collapse, and I am just one man.

Now expand that to entire nations and world spanning organisations. The only ones with ANY money to help out the famine blighted areas of the world are foundations, institutes, and charities SPECIFICALY founded to do so.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit
Well Britain cares, and our government were one of the first of the mark to get some assistance organised. .

preach on dude!!....for real only we have adressed this issue....but makes you wonder why the african union were not used but the united nations were....something dodgy is going on...looks like a "libya rebel support" scenario, to aid the fighting against al-shabab

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by thePharaoh

For all I know, your examinations results may be true, but please do not patronise me. Im not saying that the UK is the overlord of all things wonderful and decent. We have a conservative government here, so the very idea of sweetness and light is alien to these shores at the moment.

However, I also mentioned that in better times, we would be doing more, and thats a fact. Its not preaching, its just how it is. Similarly the Oxfam effort , Save The Children , and a whole host of other international organisations efforts, are being squeezed by limited available charity money. No one has as much as they used to these days. Times , as they say , are hard.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
WOW! Thank you everyone for all of your replies. I had not expected so much interest in this topic! I wish i could reply to each and everyone of you all. All i can say is that i clearly can see very diverse views on this sensitive subject. But i stand by my comments. I know there is corruption and so forth. But it is better to do something than watch millions die. I could not live with myself if i did nothing.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Many Americans are proving in this thread to be the vile ignoramuses that they are.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by pilotx

Well I certainly hope the OP wasnt as dumb as to think he/she was exposig something. Africans have been on the planet longer than any other race of human being yet they choose to do no more than dance and sing and fight.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Kram09

And the Brit is showing himself to be a whiner and a name caller, so mature

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by PapaEmeritus

No, I'm merely stating facts.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Wirral Bagpuss

You need to look at the world today and the type of people that are in control and you can answer your own question quite easily. The worsest is yet to come, the final horseman has yet to enter the stage.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Wirral Bagpuss

To be frank, there are more important things happening in the world.

That doesn't mean it doesn't matter, it simply means priorities.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wirral Bagpuss
I cant keep silent over this anymore. I am angered by the current famine in East Africa taking place right now. Millions are dying and flooding over the border into Kenya for example. Families do not make the journey. Children, the weak and old die on the journey. Once in a place where help can be given, people still die as there is not enough qualifed doctors and medicines to cater for everyone. My greatest anger is for the militia groups who prevent aid being delivered within Somalia and why? In the name of relgion apparently. For crying out loud i am sure God, Allah or whatever one chooses to worship would approve of aid being given not witheld! Why cant the world get it's act together? surely NATO or whomever can organise an airlift and parachute food supplies directly to people? Or even set up mobile field hosptials across the country and tell the militas to pack it in whilst getting on with the business of saving lives. I know it can be done, but there just is not the political willpower to do so. I just find that inexcusable.
I also find it appallying that even now in the 21st century whilst we have the technology and means to feed everyone on the planet, people go without food or water or indeed both. Having been paid this weekend i have now made a donation to UNICEF UK. I know it is not much and i wish i could give much more. But at least it is something. I have also enquired about joining a local volunteer group and with the possibility of setting up a new group. That is something else i can do as well. This is something i have been thinking about for some time, but now is the time to put things into action, perhaps a few ripples in the pond can do some good.
I hope this post will inspire and provoke thought amongst ATS.
edit on 31/7/11 by Wirral Bagpuss because: Typo

Wirral Bagpus, your feelings of compassion for your fellow humans is laudable. However, it's obvious you're naive about how this world is run. The Elites (TPTB), the people who have the power to get things done quickly in this world, do NOT care what happens to the "useless eaters" (to use their descriptive phrase).

The Elites will bankrupt entire national treasuries to wage "resource" wars for oil, minerals, water, etc. God only knows how much (tax-payer) wealth has disappeared into the military-industrial complex to fund projects the Elites really care about. But feeding the slaves? An occasional bone will be thrown to the starving masses as a PR stunt, but we are EXPECTED to die.

The Depopulation Agenda is very real. The naive do not understand that droughts, floods and other "natural disasters" may very well be intentionally induced to CREATE famines. TPTB have many tools at their disposal to "cull the herd" with. Famine & wars are just two of them.

TPTB own & control the media. They let us know what they want us to know.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Right now I am more interested in helping feed those near me. There are people starving here in the USA. The US has been sending millions upon millions of dollars as well as food and medicine over to Africa for many years now, yet once it gets there it is squandered. Take for example the AIDS medication that is sent there. Many would rather smoke it to get high than take it to get healthier. They know that they can't even feed themselves, yet they keep popping out more and more kids. We send millions to help them learn how to wash their genitals to avoid disease. No matter how much we send or do it will never be enough. It is not our fault, yet we are the racist bad guys if we don't correct their issues.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Why I don't care is simple - do i let a child die or do I save him so that he can create 8 more starving children - poverty and starvation in Africa is older than the bible and yet you will find no shortage of new mothers and mouths to feed.

If you want to help someone help people that are helpless not clueless.
edit on 1-8-2011 by circuitsports because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit
reply to post by thePharaoh

For all I know, your examinations results may be true, but please do not patronise me. Im not saying that the UK is the overlord of all things wonderful and decent. We have a conservative government here, so the very idea of sweetness and light is alien to these shores at the moment.

However, I also mentioned that in better times, we would be doing more, and thats a fact. Its not preaching, its just how it is. Similarly the Oxfam effort , Save The Children , and a whole host of other international organisations efforts, are being squeezed by limited available charity money. No one has as much as they used to these days. Times , as they say , are hard.

sorry i wasnt patronisiing you...as for my examination results....grrrr ..lol

im from london dude....(sorry i meant; bruv!)...i think we are admirable and i am proud of our flag.

i just think that other leaders in other countries think there is something up with ur socalled good charity....the news already, in the un camps, are saying "al shabab....they cant eat because of al shabab...the aid cant get in because of al shabab...."
theyr only doing it to gain support for our war on somalia...feed and pay the poor...then send em back with a message....but as i think arms could be brought with this money..(ie libya rebel scenario) im gonna ignore it

peace

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Golf66

The only 'tribal thugs' I've ever had the misfortune to come across were 30 white men in an inbred somerset town, but thats another story.....
In the UK, we have less racial segregation, which has lead to black students doing well academically
Both of my black friends are very clever people, and much harder workers than I am

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by thePharaoh

Originally posted by KaiserSoze

Originally posted by bluemirage5
reply to post by noonebutme

Now how on earth can millions upon millions of starving poor Africans afford birth control?

How about self control? Or are you implying Africans are incapable of that, as appears to be the case?

racist ass...!!
self control...you mean with missionaries who they housed and protected who funneled power and wealth out of aftrica.....or the egyptians who looked after the greeks and romans, who then usurped the throne...what about the zulu....how about the people who traded slaves with the americans...how about the empirs of mali..and the empire of salasi...

they have self control..so do palastinians and mexicans....it seems that the fixed variable in all these things is the lack of self control amongst white foreigners...

your ignorant..and those images you watch give arrogance your ignorance....YOU NEED AFRICA MORE THAN AFRICA NEEDS YOU...

peace
edit on 1-8-2011 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

Gosh our president is zulu, 5 wives and got accused of rape... But he showere so he was saved from aids.

Zulu's self control bah you have no idea what your talking about. And Palestinians, why do you feel sorry for them over say afganistanis or libyans?

I'd say america should march into sub sahara africa with guns.
Put it to dictators heads, force them to quit and run the country for 4 years building infrastructure.
Of course the hippies and young moron black africans will be against it.
But its simply the only way.

I work with africans, some of them just require tough love, they will learn to respect you and work with you.
edit on 1-8-2011 by kykweer because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join