It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Famine in East Africa: Why Does Nobody Care?

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
No oil? No interest.

Simple as that.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
i think i can answer this.....

it seems as if ..."they"....are taking the residents away from there homes blaming al shabab.....they will then invest and give money to the somalians in these camps to ultiamtly oppose al shabab....

so the money is for rebels and mercenaries..to fight one more round of battles with al-shabab.....not for drought or food...but for paying for support of the state...

for the first time in my life i saw a blue eyed somalian with blond highlights, shouting at everyone for aid...
IM NOT PAYING FOR YOU TO FIGHT ANOTHER WAR...

so no starving people...just a lie to raise funds to tackle al shabab..

peace
edit on 1-8-2011 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Our TV screens seem to be constantly filled with images of starving Africans, usually with swarms of flies buzzing around them. Why don't they just eat the flies?

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
So in all honestly, what are we supposed to do about the situation in Africa? Send more food, money? Troops? Personally go over there, take them by the hand and show them what to do?

How much are we expected to do?

The problems facing Africa are complex - from corrupt governments, warfare, disease and just from being poor for so long? But what are we supposed to do?

edit on 1-8-2011 by MidnightTide because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightTide
So in all honestly, what are we supposed to do about the situation in Africa? Send more food, money? Troops? Personally go over there, take them by the hand and show them what to do?

How much are we expected to do?

its not for food...wheres their food gone...its for allowing the people to not be dependant on al-shabab..
these images of staring kids are from the 1999 comic relief campaign...and its probably ethiopian

IF YOU REMEMBER...THIS TIME 6MONTHS AGO....THERE WAS A FAMINE IN SOUTH SUDAN...WE SENT MONEY...NOW SOUTH SUDAN USED IT TO FIGHT THEIR GOVERNMENT AND GAIN INDEPENDANCE...I THOUGHT I WAS PAYING FOR A STARVING KID....COMPLETE BS
edit on 1-8-2011 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by KISSAEA123
Not to sound cold hearted here but this is nothing really new.
I have for 30 years now constantly heard about starving Africa.
That's the problem. The world has become to desensitized to it all.
A lot of money has gone there over the years for aid but most has gone to soldiers, rebels, etc.
Unless governments can figure a way to profit from intervention, I'm afraid things will be the way they have been for many more years.
I agree with what our technology has gotten to be there shouldn't be hungry or thirsty people anywhere in the world.
Sadly we have hungry and thirsty people right here in our own country.
Can't say when things will ever change. Hopefully soon.
Do what you can and hopefully others will follow.

Yes. I remember when Band Aid and Live Aid took place. I was oh just 15/16 at the time when that happened and i had high hopes that just for once the Earth had been tiltled on its axis and a real sea change had occured in humanity at long last. Millions were raised, and doubtlessly many were saved. But i also remember hearing of how some of the aid wound up in military and corrupt people's hands. But at least i can but try and make a difference in some way. I hope others will join me.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grimbone

Originally posted by Campy61
Your not gonna like my opinion but I really dont care about aiding anyone in another country. We have people in this country starving and becoming homeless everyday, why should I care about people on the other side of the world that can not feed themselves?

Thinking like that is the whole problem IMO. We should all be brothers and sisters on this planet we call earth. Until we branch out further from this planet we will just never realize it.

I agree wholeheartedly. We are ALL from the same stardust that created us. So we are ALL related

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Golf66
Well, again why are they having children in the first place – I wouldn’t bring children into an unstable, violent warzone in which food was a questionable commodity. To do so regardless of the number is cruel and ignorant. Wait till the situation stabilizes or at least improves.

What you are saying makes no sense [...]

The point that has somehow been left behind that I am trying to bring back into the conversation is that in an 'undeveloped' country, there is high birth and high death rates, resulting in very little net population growth. As the economy transitions, there will be a net increase in population as the death rate (starvation, disease, violence etc.) drops while the birth rate remains the same. Then, the birth rate begins to drop as well, and a new equilibrium is reached. I believe its called the demographic transition model, and a fairly accurate one as far as I know.

In other words, if people don't give birth often, they don't survive, since not enough of their children make it. (Whether they 'should or should not' make it is another topic).

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Wirral Bagpuss

Probably because after trillions of dollars, hundreds of thousands of volunteer hours, and countless numbers of helpers, Africa is no better than it was at the start. You can't keep putting money into a lemon.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
The world has dumped enough kindness onto Africa. You can help all you want but you cant those who WILL NOT help themselves. "I can stand you up and hold your hand but to walk you must move your own feet".
edit on 1-8-2011 by PapaEmeritus because: esp

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by mjw88
reply to post by Kram09

completely agree if the Haiti earthquake happend in Africa , America wouldn't have flinched a muscle yet because it happened in south america where they need support and influence they get involved.

If the Haiti earthquake happened in Africa it wouldn't have been the Haiti earthquake. Of course, if the Haiti earthquake happened in South America as you claim it wouldn't have been the Haiti earthquake either.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
What I do not understand is why anyone has not tried artificial rain over the areas with the famine. The famine is a result of not raining, so why not do artificial rains? it is a hell of a lot better than sending money and food, which will be stolen by the corrupt governments over there.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by MasterGemini

I agree one needs to be active which i why i am applying to join a local UN volunteer group. I may also create a UN volunteer group for my county as well. Waiting to hear back for more details of that. And also donations DO help in practical ways ie install water pumps and so forth. Every little helps when all is said and done

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   

[COLOR=GOLD]
My friend first 1 would like to say thanks for caring for others as you do. The world would run more sufficient if cooperation was acted upon by the total Earth masses. Many over in the Africanaz land mass have been suffering for a very long time. It took 1 some time to realilze that the international communities do try to send in what they feel they can and that the interior leaders or warlords are in controll of these helps sent. this has ill ed 1 for many years just watching them oppress people the way they do over there due to greed being the most important thing to many contolling warlords and dictators. I am sure the MOST HIGHEST has a precision plan for those mentioned warlords and dictators as I am sure the MOST HIGHEST sees how they have managed his creations. They had many years to get it together and instead all they have done was allow their famailies more ability to oppress which signals VOID leadership. I would hope that the international communities would send in their best to clear this issue but it seems the international communities prefer the issues be fixed from within. This WILL not help waiting for them the dictators and warlords to FIX the prob. from inside as they like many others in controll of Earth inhabitants are stuck to money and greed like flys to paper ---THE IRONY--- When their days of judgment come upon them shal they see FULLY the destruction they caused the tears and blood they have caused to be shed to comfort their evol souls. Its not like there wasnt enough time to get it FIXED and STILL in 2011 these poverish conditions exist and its disturbing. Kind of relates to how some view parts of this species as primative smh. I always keep the 3rd worlds in mind GLOBALLY and Pray for them and their sorrrows with hope that the MOST HIGHEST SUPPORTS THEM AND SAVES THEM SINCE NOONE ELSE SEEMED TO BE ABLE TOO. Once again its a sapiens sapiens issue to care for each other.

BE WELL AND AGAIN THANKS FOR CARING

NAMASTE*******
LOVE LIGHT ETERNIA
[/COLOR]

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by masterp

Because no matter what, Africans cant have nice things they must destroy everything

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by PapaEmeritus

One thing to point out is that, on a conspiracy site, members go to great lengths to expose the corruption that makes everything so much worse on earth, yet when it comes to a continent that is so desperate, we paint it in broad brushes.

Who is "we" that helps "who" ? Those in power are the ones calling the shots, who determine who gets 'aid' and how it filters (or rather fails to filter) to those in need.

Because of deeply intrenched corruption, coupled with desperation for even those in power (violence, power struggles are some plausible guesses), it is highly unfair to simply say "we tried to help them, but they can't help themselves, so all people are therefore helpless and not deserving any help."

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
They have created this problem with 20 years of civil war in Somalia. Clinton tried to help them in the 90's you remember how well that went?

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Funny thing is I was just reading another topic where people were commenting how America should keep their nose out of the other countries business, I was going to comment on that topic that we are damned if we do and damned if we don't get involved.

I wish we would bring all our guys home, stay out of all the middle east countries, and I am all for feeding the poor, once I read a post complaining that Americans only sent blah blah millions in aid, or Americans only send aid with strings attached,

Plus A lot of the aid never reaches the people in need because of corrupt government.

I give up.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5
reply to post by noonebutme

Now how on earth can millions upon millions of starving poor Africans afford birth control?

How about self control? Or are you implying Africans are incapable of that, as appears to be the case?

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by PapaEmeritus
reply to post by masterp

Because no matter what, Africans cant have nice things they must destroy everything

this just shows the ignorance of new generations and how they effect the truth behind history.

let me fix that line you said:
"because no matter what, africans cant have good things because "jealous forigners" must destroy everything"

years and years of colonial rule, french, dutch, british, american, italian all had a hand in the africa you see today...whenever you get an african in charge, helpling his own...he becomes demonised ( or shot)...one recent name is mugabe...as weel did you see the french in ivory coast earlier this year

africans are victimised....and the famine images you see are all to cause a reaction so you send in your money....less then 10p of every pound makes its way there...so you have a large group of people earning from this crisis...one of the richest states in raw materials...yet it needs charity from countries who have nothing but bank credits...

people hardly ever destroy what is theirs....foreigners do.....

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join