It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Famine in East Africa: Why Does Nobody Care?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5Now how on earth can millions upon millions of starving poor Africans afford birth control?

They don’t need to afford anything – use the innate birth control device we all are born with, their brains. Don’t want children don’t screw.

Originally posted by pilotx It is easy to sit on an intellectual high chair and question why they "bang" out more kids than 'they' or their environment can support, but remember that they also face high mortality rates, with some astronomically high rates of infant mortality, and one of the only ways to survive is to "bang" out children in hopes that some of them will survive.

Well, again why are they having children in the first place – I wouldn’t bring children into an unstable, violent warzone in which food was a questionable commodity. To do so regardless of the number is cruel and ignorant. Wait till the situation stabilizes or at least improves.

What you are saying makes no sense – they have multiple children into a starvations scenario because many of them are going to die anyway. Um, that is just cruel on the parents part and they then are the one’s who should be made to sit and view the commercials full of children with bloated bellies not me. I know its wrong to procreate into an unstable situation.

Originally posted by pilotxIncredible what people say when under the cover of anonymity.

This is my public stance as well – I tell people the same thing all the time and a good many agree. I don’t have to hide to say the right thing.

Originally posted by bluemirage5Yep...and my guess is half of the African children were conceived through rape...and many of those mothers are young children themselves.

This is pretty true. It is because the African male is for the most part a tribal thug who takes what he wants by force and or manipulation. What made them that way? Was it their treatment by Europeans?

The question has to be asked why? There is a trend in Africa (especially in the Sub Sahara) and then Haiti as well - what is the thing all these nation-states have in common?

Could it possibly be the 800lb gorilla in the room no one wants to acknowledge? The races on the planet are different not only in physical appearance but in their mental make-up and ability - be it intellect, drive and or ability to succeed as a group or predisposition to violence.

Whatever you want to call it there is a clear and glaring disparity in the willingness of different races to surrender the individual to the greater good, their sexual habits, spending vs. saving and marital commitments along with the role of fatherhood.

There has been some research done in the past on the racial predispositions to certain social norms and mental ability, nature vs. nurture and other kinds of studies but regardless of the caliber of the study the people just won’t hear it for some reason.

While most people willingly accept that while there may be real physical differences between races any perceived differences in mental ability must be related to outside factors not genetics. I remember the Bell Curve and the controversy it generated.

I am neither a social scientist, economist, nor an anthropologist but there has to be some reason that even in America (which is not living in the stone age) after 3-4 generations now of affirmative action and preferential treatment that the black population has not improved their overall social success rate - quite the opposite; it is in decline. I do not accept the reason being all outside factors like racism and economic oppression and other crap. It has to come from somewhere inside as well.

More crime, less education, more teen births, more addiction and almost every other mark of failure in a culture have increased despite all the favorable "leg-up" type programs to break the cycle. The programs have lead to dependence not independence.

As for Africa – take a look at S. Africa; before 1994 and the ANC won the election with Nelson Mandela as the president, the nation was stable if not entirely accommodating of the black majority.

In summary, the tension due to the lack of freedoms pre-1994 has been replaced by tension due to a lack of any guarantee of personal safety.

When the ANC took over; suddenly a surge in unemployment of both blacks and whites hit the country. Desperation and hunger became the order of the day for so many and the only way to survive was to steal. Slowly things got better but it is still not enough to make a definite change. The economy has improved since, but economic disparities persist.

Now crime rates are not just highest among industrialized nations, but nearly the highest in the World.

Despite official statistics showing a recent decline in crime rates - murder rates have more than tripled in the New South Africa after the ANC. Most of the crime is committed in the big cities. People surround their houses with electric fencing or razor wire and alarms. The security firms are booming, and the educated of all races flee for European nations.

There needs to be some research done but unfortunately most people will just have a visceral programmed response to any objective study of the success of different racial groups with “we are all human” and charging whomever the person posing the question with racism….

The racial issue is a touchy one especially in America – Eric Rush has a great book out called Negrophillia. It is a good study of how in America race relations and the institutional indoctrination of our kids in school and through mass media to favorably view black culture is leading to a culture that idolizes criminals, deadbeat dads, welfare dependency and drug use. This can drag the country nowhere but down.

We all my be human but in 5000+ years of History one thing has become clear – there are clear and real differences in the relative success rates of different racial groups.

It is time someone did some real objective research into the topic and quite beating around the bush…

If one thinks me racist for making the casual observation - feel free. It's much easier than disputing the trends.

edit on 1/8/2011 by Golf66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonofliberty1776
You are complaining, but what are you DOING?

There are a few that are, obviously its not enough is it? This takes a big effort from many.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kram09
reply to post by Campy61

It means that Americans are so apathetic, self-centred and ignorant that it beggars belief.

The United States could use it's power for the better instead of immoral wars.

Do you think these people caused the famine? I'm sure they didn't want it....

Ridiculous....

You have to love an absolutely miserable person like this who claims to be somewhat enlightened about world affairs, yet attempts to lump 311 million Americans into a shallow and conveniently negative package as a vehicle for his hateful comments.

What would your average American do with a passport when we occupy the lion's share of a continent surrounded by ocean? I realize that little jab probably sounded awesome in your mind, but it wasn't.

We have helped Africa, and we have damaged Africa. The same can be said for the UK, whether you like it or not. The fact remains, as someone else pointed out, that the African people have yet to really take control of their own destiny. They are a welfare state, and that welfare comes from outside, which leave them open to outside control and corruption. Interestingly, at least 310,500,000 Americans have nothing whatsoever to do with this and are concerned about their own lives, families, communities, and country as they should be. You can't do much to help the globe when your own future is in jeopardy and your country is in crisis.

We have a long way to go before we are truly a global community. Just as you must make changes in your own home before you can expect your community to change, you have to effect changes in your country before you can expect the world to change. Every country on this planet needs to grow up, including Africa.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by pilotx
Incredible what people say when under the cover of anonymity.

Anonymity has nothing to do with what I said. What I said in my post I'd say to anyone's face without a problem... and I have. Know what I found out? Nearly everyone I talk to feels the same way, but I'm the only one that seems to have the balls to throw the politically correct BS aside and say it.

People are so afraid of being called a racist, they refuse to even speak the truth.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Most of you people are pretty clueless when it comes to charitable organizations and foreign aid.

95%+ of all charitable contributions never make it to the people who it is intended for. Most of this money goes to politician pockets and secret agenda projects of many corrupt people.

Look up the Reece Commission 1954 and Norman Dodd report.

Look at the Catholic church, they get tons of money, but there are constant renovations to churches and lining their own pockets instead of giving more to people in need. Sending one or 2 doctors per 1mil in need is not a great offering by the church. More resources are needed, voluntary work does not get enough people, resources to make it even remotely beneficial. It is all about saving someone from their afterlife, instead of making their time on Earth better/healthier/Happier.

IF you want to blame someone for the many people in need, blame your god(s). God is the most powerful force, merciful being, even Jesus said you only need to pray and God will move mountains for you. I am sure alot of these people are praying for a better life for their families. God doesn't do crap, because he does not exist.

Money makes the world go round, plain and simple. those that control the money control the lives of others. It is despicable how we would rather war over false gods/money/territory, instead of taking care of each other.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
The point that is presented here is that people do not care about the famine that happens in the eastern part of Africa. However what is not mentioned needs to also be discussed as well.
Giving to aid different countries around the world, that is a good and noble thing, and people do give. However, the end destination of the aid is very questionable. Too often the aid that is sent either does not get to the people or are tied up with the red tape of that country to where it goes bad on the docks or on the ships. Money disappears, along with the aid that is there, often due to the corruption of the way that the governments in those countries work. And people are just plain tired of giving and giving for once and looking at those countries governments and asking, why is this happening? Why is it that the aid sits on a dock and goes bad or missing, where the military in these countries are well fed, yet the people starve? Why is it that millions of dollars goes in, but only a fraction goes out and the rest missing. There is a lack of accountability and there fore, it starts to work on peoples minds that it is not worth it to do such any one for that reason. Combine that with the state of the worlds economies, and there is your answer.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Wirral Bagpuss

Welcome to Planet Earth where politicians & governments are only too happy to squander trillions of our money blowing the crap out of anything that refuses to conform, but when it comes to saving lives, they are reluctant to spend a penny, unless the money somehow accidentally finds a way into their own pockets.

UK 'charities' are mostly fakes!

www.perceptions.couk.com...

As for the people of Africa, the most humane thing you could do is send them packets of condoms. Birth control would make more sense.

You reap what you sow in this world and some Africans have nobody to blame, but themselves for not taking responsibility.

www.crisismagazine.com...
edit on 1-8-2011 by kindred because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Adyta

Are you sure you are from the US? stereotypes tell me you shouldn't be smart.

I agree with what you and many others said and I hate this bashing about racism and being evil. Money will never save Africa because money just becomes guns and expensive cars and yachts.

If any of you want to actually help them, go there, teach them how to move from the middle of the desert, teach them not to build houses in the middle of the flood plains, teach them to stop making a zilion children.

If i move in the middle of the Gobi desert will you create a charity to save my retarded ass ? If I'm stupid enough to create a family there and I have no skills at all will you send aid ?

This is BS no one cares about them, we just want to pretend we do. We see a poster and feel sad, but we forget about it in 10 minutes.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Problem is that when we send food there, more and more children born there, so they need more and more food. They already have a lot of food, since they send more food outside than inside. Africa is very fertile on some regions. But international corporations should get out, they are doing more harm than help. Africans need to learn help themselves and get rid of their corrupted armies and governments.

Best way to help is by doing nothing or telling ppl NOT TO DONATE. This money only goes to big corporation's pockets.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I would be glad to donate. A big fat bag of condoms and birth control pills. Sadly, I believe giving them money or food may only serve to make the problem worse in time, if not accompanied by remeding the causes, not just symptoms of the problem.

Interview with African Economics Expert: "For God's Sake, Please Stop the Aid!"

edit on 1/8/11 by Maslo because: added link

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
So when will England be the first to provide humanitarian aid during the next disaster?

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maslo
I would be glad to donate. A big fat bag of condoms and birth control pills. Sadly, I believe giving them money or food may only serve to make the problem worse in time, if not accompanied by remeding the causes, not just symptoms of the problem.

Interview with African Economics Expert: "For God's Sake, Please Stop the Aid!"

edit on 1/8/11 by Maslo because: added link

That Shikwati is an idiot. He does not see the big picture at all and wants everybody to be in perfect order. The man has no compassion. Imagine your child dying in your arms from starvation, then see if you can bitch to the world about the black market. At this moment a child dies from starvation, now another, and another, as fast as you can read.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Its very sad. But who is at fault are the Muslims en slaving eastern africa. Till this day slavery exists because of wealthy muslims en slaving eastern africans as soldiers or are transferred into arabian lands and in return making sure eastern african lands never prosper. For example what the Malaysian government or Petronas is doing to Ethiopia. Somalia is basically a muslim military training state.

Basically slavery is still happening. All sponsored by islam.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
To be honest when it comes to Africa I it might not be entirely their fault. How do countries grow if not from wars? Well often something like oil or another resource is found which creates business, jobs and growth in the region. However when you think about all the international countries in Africa giving "aid" you have to wonder, do the African people really get their fair share of the profits made, or does a huge cut end up going half way around the world. Imagine if people are exploited just to feed themselves and families then the profits filter off out of the country. How can you honestly expect growth?

I honestly suspect corporations have a stranglehold on the country. Just look at Iraq, the quest for "peace" has just made the region less stable. How do we know the same does not apply for Africa? Let’s face it; any country could exploit the countries natural resources, for all we know the militias are actually trying to stop the corrupt governments, I doubt many of us have been there to actually know how things are over there.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by pilotx

Originally posted by blupblup

Originally posted by Adyta
...They sit in their mud huts all day and bang out a kid every nine months, and don't make any effort to learn anything that would help them.

One of the most selfish, ignorant and hateful posts I've seen of late.

I could not agree more.

It is easy to sit on an intellectual high chair and question why they "bang" out more kids than 'they' or their environment can support, but remember that they also face high mortality rates, with some astronomically high rates of infant mortality, and one of the only ways to survive is to "bang" out children in hopes that some of them will survive.

Incredible what people say when under the cover of anonymity.

Would say it in front of anyone, not everyone is an armchair general.

Its just some people don't like hearing it.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Not trying to be mean or anything but the materials inside your computer and most of its electrical parts come straight from Africa. You heard of Blood Diamonds, well.. For 10+ years there has been Blood Minerals. All in the name of making those PC parts and the make up we put on our face to make us look younger.

PS. The world is at fault, not a single region or country can be blamed. Everyone who responded to this thread can be blamed as well.
edit on 1-8-2011 by SelfSustainedLoner because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   

reply to post by sonofliberty1776

Ah...you're American.

Now it makes sense.

The country where more people have Facebook profiles than passports.

That really made my day. Thanks!

Why does nobody care?

A. Its in Africa.
B. They have their own troubles and problems to worry about. (Except for America! They can still wage wars with multiple countries all over world when its own country is falling apart. Willing to sacrifice its own people to spread good old democracy)
C. No one knows whats in Africa. Isn't it just monkeys, zebras, lions, etc?
D. Did I mention it was Africa.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   

I've thought this too, but it seems NATO are more interested in bombing Libya to rubble than helping out starving people.

I mentioned in another thread that I was curious how mudge aid governments have pledged as opposed to how much they have spent bombing Libya?

On Google News one of the top headlines is about the wedding of a minor member of the royal family.

Shameful really....

Edited: Just to say that it's actually not ANYWHERE shown on Google News.
edit on 31/7/11 by Kram09 because: (no reason given)

Yes indeed. it annoys me that we can afford to kill people but have no money to save lives. And a marraige of a member of the royal family pales into insignificane when you see people reduced to skeletons because they have had no food.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonofliberty1776

reply to post by sonofliberty1776

If that's directed at the OP, they already explained.

It's a small gesture, but it's something.

But the question can also be fired back at you.
Not really. It is not my concern. I am more concerned about our problems here. Since I support ending ALL foreign aid, you should realize that I do not want the government to do anything about other countries issues. We need to fix our problems now.

I agree we need to fix our own problems, but i also beleive in compassion for others. Lord knows i have financial problems of my own but at least i have food on the table. But the people in East Africa have none. At the end of the day we are all brothers and sisters and share the same planet.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
ALWAYS the reason "no one cares" (there's nothing of monetary value to benefit caring, i.e. assistance)

ALWAYS FOLLOW THE MONEY!

No natural resources to plunder, no strategic military bases to build...they have nothing to offer but death, and grabbing hands, and the tears of starving children. Unless the children cry tears of gold, the grabbing hands for food are made of uranium, and the death of thousands are on oil rich lands, there is no reason for anyone to help.

That statement is both pessimistic, and realistic...sad to say.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join