It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FBI checking 'our most promising' lead in D.B. Cooper case

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   

FBI checking 'our most promising' lead in D.B. Cooper case

www.seattlepi.com

The FBI has what it calls "our most promising" lead to date for a suspect in the infamous 1971 D.B. Cooper case – the nation's only unsolved commercial airplane hijacking.

The name of a man not previously investigated was given to the FBI, and an item that belongs to him was sent for fingerprint work at the agency's Quantico, Va., forensic lab, agency spokeswoman Ayn Sandalo Dietrich told seattlepi.com Saturday.

A law enforcement colleague spoke with someone who may have a strong connection to Cooper, and that law enforcement staffer contacted the FBI, Sandalo Dietrich said.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
en.wikipedia.org

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Well the FBI may have finally cracked this case! It is a bit had to get too excited though as they've investigated around 1,000 suspects. If they have partial prints and partial DNA (anyone care to explain partial DNA it would be appreciated) they may just be able to match up the suspect. I always wondered if he had survived, though doubted it. The FBI isn't releasing that information yet though.

I would assume the man is dead, otherwise I don't think the FBI would be foolish enough to be broadcasting that they gleaned new information in the case.

Th conspiratorial part of my brain wonders if they're doing this in advance of admitting some big screw up.

www.seattlepi.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

omg who gives a poop
! Good for you Mr. Cooper! I hope you made it out alive and enjoy your spoils. Oh and F! the FBI
edit on 31-7-2011 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/199e8e3592c1.png[/atsimg]
The man

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e18411af9071.png[/atsimg]
The note

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b6294f1e4812.png[/atsimg]
the plane

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

I give a poop. Sure at this point it seems like a waste of time tracking him down but the story is fascinating and I would love a conclusion.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I'm sorry but it has been so long that I really think the statute of limitations seriously needs to apply here.

If I remember correctly he didn't kill anyone so there should be no reason for him to get in trouble anymore. He won.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
What a bunch of MORONS
give it rest you numbskulls!!

LET IT GO!!

They are wasting our money on DB COOPER.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE!!!

Does anyone else think they have better things to do.
edit on 31-7-2011 by hillynilly because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
aren't there more prevalent cases for the FBI to work on?

must be a slow day at the office.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

I'm just busting balls
The DB Cooper case is truly an American mystery
edit on 31-7-2011 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
YOU GO DB! Fly fly be free!
And screw the long arm of the law.....

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by hillynilly

Yeah I think everyone thinks they have better things to do. Still if they get a tip from a credible source they can't just ignore it.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

Oh
It really is a good mystery. In a way I'd almost rather not know who he is/was. Then again it sure would be neat if he were alive and gave his side of the story.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Okay after a little research on wikipedia they issued an indictment for John Doe aka Dan Cooper, so if he's ever caught he will be prosecuted and go to jail. So that sucks that they just circumvent the statute of limitations this way. This is exactly what that law is for.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I'm torn on it as the whole affair has turned "D.B. Cooper" (whomever he was) into a kind of counter culture folk hero.

I think I would like to see the F.B.I. crack the case but only posthumously for "Dan Cooper", that way everyone wins in a way.

The Feds solve the case, a great public mystery is solved and the man known as D.B. Cooper still gets away with it in the end.

Its been long enough and nobody was hurt (except possibly Mr. Cooper in the jump). I don't have a moral problem with the gentleman hijacker escaping prosecution but I would like to know the whole story.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I have a bit of a problem with the idea of just letting him get away with it. I don't think it would serve anyone to have n old man locked up in prison but I do believe that you should answer for your crimes. Hijacking an airline is a bid no no in my book, even if he had no bomb and no one was hurt. If they crack this and he's alive I think they should give him some sort of easy community service, answering phones at the DMV or something (oh wait I said easy).

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

As I said, if he's dead it conveniently solves the problem for everyone and makes for a worthy ending to the tale.

I do agree that hijacking an aircraft is a serious offense and if he's found to still be alive should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
This was a high profile case back in the 60's. Certainly jumping out of a plane with a big sack of ill begotten cash is more interesting to investigate than looking for magnets in Roulette wheels.

I'm waiting for the TSA conspiracy theorists to start chiming in about airline security.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
hey news flash db cooper died during that tv series prison break.

silly fbi case closed.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Cool story Domo - thanks for posting!

I'm no expert but my understanding of partial DNA is that it would be an incomplete DNA profile. Since it is incomplete, it is generally only used to EXCLUDE suspects. IOW, a person who matches a partial DNA profile can't be eliminated as a suspect but isn't necessarily guilty, whereas someone who doesn't match the partial profile is eliminated as a possible suspect... Hope that helps.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join