It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LulzSec: Shetland teen charged over computer hacking claims

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   

LulzSec: Shetland teen charged over computer hacking claims

www.bbc.co.uk

A man from the Shetland Islands has been charged with computer offences by police investigating hacking attacks.

Jake Davis, 18, was charged with unauthorised computer access and conspiracy to carry out a distributed denial of service attack on the Serious and Organised Crime Agency's website.

He faces five charges and is due to appear at Westminster Magistrates' Court on Monday, police said.

Police are investigating hacking groups known as Anonymous and LulzSec.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I could be wrong but I dont think it was reported here on ATS when he was arested on Wednesday.

Officers from the police's Central e-Crime Unit arrested the teenager in what they describe as a "pre-planned intelligence-led operation" on Wednesday.

The UK Serious Organised Crime agency took its website offline for several hours on 20 June after it appeared to be a victim of a distributed denial of service (DDoS) attack. LulzSec claimed responsibility for the attack.

DDoS is where large numbers of computers, under malicious control, overload their target with web requests.

Along with the news from the US that FBI Raids Anonymous Suspects Using List of Top 1000 Protestors it seems that the police all over the world are coming down hard on anyone suspected in being in either LulzSec or Anonymous.

I think this is now the second suspected LulzSec member arrested in the UK. With LulzSec claiming to have stopped operations It seems they might not have got away as cleanly as they thought.

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 31-7-2011 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Really hittin em where it hurts with dos attacks

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Expect them, more, everywhere.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by depth om
Really hittin em where it hurts with dos attacks

You must not understand what a DDoS attack is, it is hitting 'em where it hurts.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fractured.Facade

Good news for the private prison industry. More prisoners = more money

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
My question is how are they bringing all these computers under their control ?
Are they using a virus ? There cannot be that many of them !

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
another patsy for the real brains behind the op goes down.

spitwads at a meteor again.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by granpabobby
My question is how are they bringing all these computers under their control ?
Are they using a virus ? There cannot be that many of them !

Denial of service attacks flood a website and knock it offline, or make it so you can't connect. Its not a hard thing to do, and one person with the right setup can archive this on most small to medium sites.

Large corporations and financial establishments have huge networks of servers both public, like a bank login, and inner networks not connected to the main interweb as far as I'm aware.

For larger corporations, the denial of service attacks are done on a larger scale, using infected PCs, so these infected PCs are controlled via a bunch of users or one user to attack the target of their choice. Each infected PC sends out packets to the target, and if you have enough of these infected PCs you can pretty much knock off-line your target site.

Now the viruses used to take control of normal PC users are most likely placed in torrent and other pirated software programs that people have downloaded from naughty places, and maybe some users downloded the 'files' needed for these groups to take control freely.

But it doesn't end there. The denial of service attacks are only one part of the attacks. Depending on the target and scripting and layout used on the target site, a denial of service attack may not be the best method to attack it.

You have code injection, as well as a number of different ways to gain access if you know what your doing, im not going into them as i dont want the ATS powers that be to get peeved at me.

As for members of the groups in question, as far as i know there is huge support across the globe, so many thousands of people support what they stand for, which is change and no more corruption in corporations, government etc. But its not just one group, its many, many groups under one name. Illegal tactics to push forward a message is wrong. The only way to beat the system is to use the system against itself.

Hopefully some of the rouge members will keep that in mind in future.

Nughty, naughty.

edit on 31-7-2011 by BlackDove because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-7-2011 by BlackDove because: Eating bacon whilst typing and missed a y.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

You know, if I was a hacker I wouldn't hack from my crib. Just me though

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

I think that some of the serious ones don't hack from their home addresses.

From the sounds of it they're just reeling in the smaller hackers and painting it up like they've actually accomplished something.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

Damn straight. Infact, no one should be doing anything naughty online period.

(Paranoid Dove is now checking outside from behind the curtains every 5 minutes now).

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by The Empty Skies

Yeah that's what I'm thinking too. 18 year olds.... come on

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I don't know how many times its been said that DDOS is not hacking...but its been said a lot on these types of threads.

This is the equivalent to arresting 15 random people at the G8 protests/civil rights protest/Egypt protests, etc....when you really just want to get rid of the leaders and organizers. Not to mention the tens of thousands of other participants that remain free and speaking their minds.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I thought this lad was anon but he was setup by anon after he released info on anon members.. I cant find where i got that from now..

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010

Originally posted by Fractured.Facade

Good news for the private prison industry. More prisoners = more money

I fail to understand how they make money out of them

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
If someone does serious time for a DDoS then they need to drop that tactic and just go for the real goods. I mean if they are going to charge people who essentially do an online sit in with years in jail then why shouldn't they create a worthy offense?

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

If that's true than let him go. He's not helping anyone.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

Exclusive: British Police Duped by LulzSec Into Arresting the Wrong Guy

Topiary: if I go hide then people will assume the dox are right Topiary: so I'll just act like they failed hard [removed]: True that - so you need to make a big show of disproving them Topiary: yeah well, this is my plan: Topiary: (as you know I stole this nickname from a troll last December, didn't work out so well)

Topiary: just hoping that they'll take the bait Topiary: the #er has been using Topiary for like a year Topiary: trolling everyone Topiary: for no reason Topiary: so now we troll him, hope he's getting raided

www.dailytech.com...

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

Damn that's nuts. Well hopefully the guy doesn't get into real trouble and simultaneously learns his lesson.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join