It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amy Winehouse's Death: Family Suspects Alcohol Withdrawal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I couldn't find this posted on ATS, but because I am a recovered alcoholic, I have some first hand experience in this subject and wanted to bring this topic to peoples attention.

Here’s a link to the story.
www.mtv.com...

The sources said Winehouse's decision to give up drinking entirely for three weeks might have given a lethal "shock" to her system. "Abstinence gave her body such a fright they thought it was eventually the cause of her death," the source said.

"[Amy's father, Mitch] said doctors had told Amy to gradually reduce her intake of alcohol and to avoid bingeing at all costs. Amy told him she couldn't do that. It was all or nothing, and she gave up completely ... Mitch said the shock of giving up, after everything she had been through over a bad few years, was just too much for her to take."

The family has reportedly speculated that Winehouse died as a result of a seizure because her small frame could not withstand such a dramatic withdrawal. People magazine reported that it had confirmed the family's speculation about the cause of death.

At my worst, I would go to the hospital to detox. They would treat me as an medical emergency, check me in immediately, medicate me, put me under watch, and place seizure pad on each side of my bed.

I heard a doctor on the radio the other day say, that in severe cases the mortality rate can be as high as 40%.

More from the above article,

"From a clinical standpoint, you never tell anyone who has been actively drinking to just stop until they get into a monitored setting because alcohol is a central nervous system depressant and while some can stop and not experience problems, others with a previous history of alcohol withdrawal can experience very serious symptoms like seizures and a severe withdrawal called Delirium Tremens, where your temperature goes up, you become dehydrated, and you can die in that state."

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
And I suspect the 27club google it

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by sabbathcrazy

26 for me, was when life started to fall apart. I was able to get sober at 27.
edit on 31-7-2011 by IndieA because: grammer

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Yeah, you can AKA liver failure. Now Amy was a drug addict, can't count anything out. She probably had death throes at the end.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   

have to be an artist to be part of the 27club....just sayin....

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Heartisblack
Yeah, you can AKA liver failure. Now Amy was a drug addict, can't count anything out. She probably had death throes at the end.

Originally posted by saabster5

have to be an artist to be part of the 27club....just sayin....

Yes google the 27 club. She did not overdose. It probably had nothing to do with drugs. They all ways says its drugs when they kill some one for a sacrifice.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I know the 27 club but Amy, google her pictures. she had been struggling for a long time though, not trying to be Naive but I followed Amy when some of you didn't.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
According to a Huffington Post article I read her friends said that she'd been on a binge and thought it was a combo of ecstacy and alcohol and her mother said she'd seemed out of it the day before.
Crack was supposedly her drug of choice. We can speculate all day long but really need to wait for toxicology results to guess any further.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
First, her name is WINEhouse.

She gets famous for not wanting to go to rehab for alcohol.

She becomes famous as a drunk.

She is seen a couple days before her death drinking red bull and vodka at a friends concert.

Her parents say she dies from alcohol withdrawal.

It's a god damn fairy tail ending, at 27 so all of that hype gets brought up again, and people who never listened to her music before are now going out and buying her CDs and instant fans.

In summary, girl with "wine" in her name gets famous for being a drunk, and then famously dies for not drinking.

All a little too convenient for her record label and family.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by IndieA

No.

Amy Winehouse's time was done and she was taken out of the loop like all other MK Ultra projects.

That's the raw reality.

Media isn't worth your attention...

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Sure it did. Like I believe that. And the news. She was happy finally. So, she gave it all up to kill herself. Really??? She was getting ready to get married. For someone who is getting ready to get married, [is excited] not [depressed].
edit on 31-7-2011 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by saabster5

I have to agree, her music I would equate to pisswater.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Judge not, lest ye be judged. We all have our demons.

Is it so hard to believe that someone could want their life back so badly that they would quit cold turkey? The press sensationalizes everything to make a story more appealing and exciting to their audiences...

The liver actually creates a new chemical to deal with the constant intake of alcohol... When one suddenly stops, this chemical and heightened nervous system activity will often cause seizures, tremors, and/or a heart attack. Alcohol is the only substance (drug) that can kill you from withdrawals. She did not do this in a rehab center with supervision, she did it alone.

If she had attempted quitting before, kindling is also possible...

Kindling is the phenomenon where repeated alcohol detoxifications lead to an increased severity of the withdrawal syndrome. For example, binge drinkers may initially experience no withdrawal symptoms but with each period of resumption of drinking followed by abstinence their withdrawal symptoms intensify in severity and may eventually result in full blown delirium tremens with convulsive seizures. Alcoholics who experience seizures during hospital detoxification have been found to be much more likely to have experienced more previous detoxifications from alcohol than alcoholics who did not have seizures and are more likely to have a more medically complicated alcohol withdrawal syndrome. Kindling can cause complications and may increase the risk of relapse, alcohol related brain damage and cognitive deficits. Chronic alcohol misuse and kindling via multiple alcohol withdrawals may lead to permanent alterations in the GABAA receptors.

Poor girl, it's always sad to see people go so young. If she was trying to redeem herself, it's even more of a tragedy.
edit on 31-7-2011 by donatellanator because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-7-2011 by donatellanator because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Young folks think they're immortal and can do anything they want to their bodies. The human body is remarkably strong and resilient but there are limits. Miss Winehouse found that limit and I am sure it was a surprise.

I hope her death will help someone, somewhere to stop taking that sh*t. Drugs and booze are not a solution.

"Don't do it!" - Grand Master Flash

edit on 31-7-2011 by Leo Strauss because: classified

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by donatellanator

I drink, I'm still alive. Some of you all have no clue. Has nothing to do with drugs or drinking. But, whatever floats your boat to tell you something to answer your question.

Oh yeah, and WII, PS2, PS3 hasn't gave me a blood clot either.

edit on 31-7-2011 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by donatellanator

You're absolutly right in your post except alcohol isn't the only drug than can cause death during withdrawal. Benzodiazepines can also cause sudden death when one stops takng them. It also has an effect on the G.A.B.A neurotransmiter system. It's quite often used as a treatment for alcoholics to stop them having serious withdrawal symptoms.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
well i like her music, at least the couple of songs i heard. they're simple and honest. sure as hell beats most of the garbage that's on the radio. but this isn't a music discussion.

i do believe she was depressed, and when you mix in drugs and alcohol, the results could be fatal.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by IndieA

It's also a matter of how we promote, glorify, glamourize (however you put it) the recklessness associated with vices in media personalities. People expect it, so it becomes part of a famous person's persona more so than it would have otherwise been if this person was just your average every-day friend or family member (in which case we would probably try to do what we can to stop it or intervene.

I saw this interview yesterday:

top topics

join