It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada almost ready to bare its Private(s)... Prisons that is.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   

B.C. shackled with private-prison experiment

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fad65632c6ac.jpg[/atsimg]

The Tories started their tough on crime agenda a few years. It hasn't fully come to pass yet, but certain parts are effective at this time:

Even though the Conservatives' plan has yet to be fully legislated, penitentiary costs this year have soared to $2.98 billion from $1.6 billion in 2005-06 - an 87-per-cent increase.

Read more: www.edmontonjournal.com...

Those are all federal costs, provincial costs are separate:

Providing cells for the additional inmates that the Conservative crime policies will bring is B.C.'s $1.1-billion problem, according to a report released last year by parliamentary budget officer Kevin Page.

Solution?

One solution for cash-strapped B.C. is private prisons.

This week, it finalized its agreement with a consortium led by Brookfield Financial Corp. to finance, build and maintain the $90-million, 216-cell Surrey Remand Centre for 30 years.

The security aspects, including the guards, will continue to be the government's responsibility.

Still, the government's press release says Brookfield will "deliver numerous innovations in design and surveillance, providing a safer operating environment for staff and inmates."

The company is a subsidiary of Brookfield Asset Management, which manages $150-billion worth of assets globally.

History lesson?

Canada's only experiment with a private prison ended badly in 2006 when the Ontario government took back the Central North Correctional Centre in Penetanguishene from Management and Training Corp.

3 Billion dollars might not seem like a lot of money to people from larger countries, but Canada only has just over 30 million. And when you average it out the cost to household, it is just under $300 per household.

StatsCan 11.5 million households

So what's the big deal? $300 to keep the criminals locked up, who cares right?

Well, the unfortunate thing is that anger and emotion don't have a basis in reality. While there are definitely people that will end up in jail throughout their lives, it doesn't mean they should be there for extended periods of time.

When they are gone, someone has to pick up the slack in taking care of their families, etc. Their kids need guidance or they may end up with their own troubles. The list goes on and on.

And of course, no matter how much people hate the black market trade. It does inject liquidity into the marketplace. Ironically, probably more-so than if you purchase something from a multinational corporation.

So, with almost doubling the prison costs, not even completing the agenda yet, talk of private prisons coming in....It looks like there is a new kind of biz in town.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Its just bizarre in the first place since crime is lower than its been since the 50's. More jails longer sentences harsher penalties = more poverty higher taxes. And who is going to shoulder these new expenses? I bet you it won't be the rich.
So in tough economic times lets waste more money turning Canada into an American style police state. Decriminalization we almost had it before Harper came along with his mandatory minimum sentence of two years for two plants.

Absolutly nonsensical way of running a country. Seeing how well the war on drugs has done in the US more people are killed by the police in that country now than the drugs ever killed.
RIP Canada the peace keeping nation!

S&F boncho
edit on 31-7-2011 by enament because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-7-2011 by enament because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   

reply to post by enament

RIP Canada the peace keeping nation!

I have never bought much into the North America Union in the past. But the complete disregard of statistics and Canadian success when it comes to dealing with our problems, in regards to the new bills being tabled, makes me wonder if there isn't a final goal.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

I think the motivation is to destroy our country by running it into the ground, I have read an article in the past that Harper was Elected by help from the US ( its illegal for a foreign country to influence our elections)

Looking for info regarding US influence of Harper's election, but I did find this.

presscore.ca...

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by enament

There were rumours about his use of consultants from the US. This was right before the Ignatieff attack ads came out. Of course, Canada is not known for attack ads, and it was obvious Harper was using US styled politics.

Regarding the Prison issue, here is another good article from BC:

Canada's federal inmate population is growing faster than new cells are being built, Sapers said, and will continue to do so despite the federal government's plan to construct more than 30 new prison units. As a result, placing two inmates in a single inmate cell - a trend called double-bunking - is happening more often.

Read more: www.vancouversun.com...

"We're seeing an increase in violence related to accommodation," he said. "Double bunking jeopardizes institutional safety for both staff and offenders."

"As population pressures increase, we are likely to see increased incidents of institutional violence," his report said. "When filled to capacity and beyond, federal penitentiaries tend to be very noisy and chaotic places."

Sapers expressed serious concern that between 2007-08 and 2008-09 there was a major spike in the number of injuries of inmates and guards alike.

"Inmate injuries increased from 138 to 222 cases, while staff injuries increased from 86 to 139 cases," his annual report said.

Read more: www.vancouversun.com...

With overcrowding and lack of resources, they are basically creating new crime within the Prison system. When you have reoccurring crime in the place that is supposed to reform or aid someone in changing their way of life, how do you expect them to abandon this when they leave?

I'm confused.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Boncho, I shall never forgive you for getting me all jacked up that someone was going to bare their privates, only to have you burst my bubble when I realized you are talking about prisons.

You are DIABOLICAL!

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by NightGypsy
Boncho, I shall never forgive you for getting me all jacked up that someone was going to bare their privates, only to have you burst my bubble when I realized you are talking about prisons.

You are DIABOLICAL!

Well, I'm sure if you go visit the prisons you will see someone bare their privates.

I can also find you an article on strip searches being preformed...

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Well, I'm sure if you go visit the prisons you will see someone bare their privates. I can also find you an article on strip searches being preformed...

LMAO.....

What a pal....

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Something the tories dont want anyone to mention is that, crime has actually reduced in BC.

Crime rate falls to lowest level since 1973

www.cbc.ca...

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by incrediblelousminds
Something the tories dont want anyone to mention is that, crime has actually reduced in BC.

www.cbc.ca...

Which makes me wonder the true motivations of more prisons and harsher penalties.
Here in my Province (New Brunswick) there isn't enough room in the jails to house all the criminals, so nonviolent criminals usually don't serve any time just a lot of probation. Which in my opinion isn't such a bad thing. Jails should be used only for violent offenders.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
It is patently obvious that the major two canadian parties are very much inleague with the US govt, and corps.
Harper is a phoney creep and the truth will out one day im sure...
I am equally suspicious about the gun registry abolishment.
At least for long guns....(Though id totally support concealed carry in Canada if it were an option.)
Remember that technical school?
Probably coulda saved some lives there....oddly the anti gun faction used it as club for gun control.
There is plenty of evidence that the two countries are about to become one over the next few years....
Harper, is part of that plan as were other PMs......
We truely need a peoples party here in Canada but we dont have hardly even a constitution....on which to base any rights.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by enament

Originally posted by incrediblelousminds

www.cbc.ca...

Which makes me wonder the true motivations of more prisons and harsher penalties.

It's not a leap in logic to see that stiffer sentences and privatized prisons equals big profits for shareholders, etc.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by stirling
It is patently obvious that the major two canadian parties are very much inleague with the US govt, and corps.

I'd be curious to know what specific NDP policies you think are 'in league' with the US government.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

You know something I have noticed is when you attach Canada to any thread the American members of ATS pay absolutely no attention to the thread.

I think Harper is an evil person, he pretends to be a man of religion to get votes. Makes people feel as though our country is full of criminals when it obviously is not. Stephen Harper is as un-Canadian as you can get he systematically turning our country into little America.

We do not need more jails we need more decriminalizing of non-violent crimes. And a good place to put Harper.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by enament

I think the only increase in crime has been in parliament hill since Harper came to power.

I never understood how all parties can get away with massive frauds, and still want to persecute people. ie.: Adscam, e-Health, In & Out Scheme, Mulrooney's untaxable bribes, etc, etc, etc.

top topics

join