It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hope for a true democracy in modern times.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I had this idea and I would like to share it with some of you. Feedback and discussion are welcome.

In modern times, with all the technology and resources we have at our disposal, I have to wonder if we are close to being able to have a true democracy.

I imagine a website/smart phone app that could be set up to allow citizens to access the site and place one vote, per person, per topic, bill, or election being voted on. Everyone who wants a voice in government could now have it.

So that we don’t have uniformed votes, each topic, bill, election being voted on, could come with information about said issue and could even require that, the citizen pass a simple quiz on said issue.

We can also take measures to make sure everyone who wants to participate will be able to. There could be voting centers set up in communities to help give people access. I also think dispensing inexpensive hand held voting devices may be an option.

How cool would it be if many more people would get informed and active in what’s going on in our country and in the world and be able to do something about it?

The countries power would be back in the hands of the people.

The people would have the power to mold the future, in a way that they choose.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   

How cool would it be if many more people would get informed and active in what’s going on in our country and in the world and be able to do something about it?

This is why it will not happen. Too many people do not think for themselves

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Interesting s/f , as someone who does not participate in the political system only an observer I can see that if you want to be informed you can be ie internet. The american people are stupid not everyone is stupid but the majority of americans are #ing retarded. you can lead a retarded horse to water but you cant make a retarded horse drink.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Jigore

I think for myself.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I agree with your post, as I admit I fought blindly in the war of Iraq and helped our governments agenda out. I only believed what I was told or seen on the ''news''.

This site is one of my liberating facets of my life and I thank every member here who has put in eye opening contributions. I have vowed to take my skills and help the true people of the country realize what has been happening to us for decades.

I just hope they havent gotten to too many of us! Band together and educate your fellow Human kind.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Nice ideas, but can't see it happening anytime soon. I'd say, right now, we're further away from democracy than we've ever been

edit on 31-7-2011 by Ginga because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
America wasn't supposed to be a Democracy, it was supposed to be a Republic.
edit on 7/31/2011 by ProphecyPhD because: grammer

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Savorrow

I agree with your post, as I admit I fought blindly in the war of Iraq and helped our governments agenda out. I only believed what I was told or seen on the ''news''.

This site is one of my liberating facets of my life and I thank every member here who has put in eye opening contributions. I have vowed to take my skills and help the true people of the country realize what has been happening to us for decades.

I just hope they havent gotten to too many of us! Band together and educate your fellow Human kind.

Thank you.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by IndieA

Direct democracy is chaotic and will not work as it allows a slim majority the ability to dictate policy to a large minority. The whole point of representative democracy is supposed to be that opposing viewpoints can be reconciled by the representative, with direct democracy there is no compromise.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by IndieA
I had this idea and I would like to share it with some of you. Feedback and discussion are welcome.

In modern times, with all the technology and resources we have at our disposal, I have to wonder if we are close to being able to have a true democracy.

I imagine a website/smart phone app that could be set up to allow citizens to access the site and place one vote, per person, per topic, bill, or election being voted on. Everyone who wants a voice in government could now have it.

So that we don’t have uniformed votes, each topic, bill, election being voted on, could come with information about said issue and could even require that, the citizen pass a simple quiz on said issue.

We can also take measures to make sure everyone who wants to participate will be able to. There could be voting centers set up in communities to help give people access. I also think dispensing inexpensive hand held voting devices may be an option.

The countries power would be back in the hands of the people.

The people would have the power to mold the future, in a way that they choose.

Sorry; I slightly disagree:" The power would be with the ones who write the info/"quiz"/bill. Don't you know poll questions are easily written to extract the '
correct" or at least"expected" answer?
Question #1)
"Have you stopped beating your wife yet? . please enter "Yes" or "no"..,.

Question#2)'
Should we allow thegovt to raise its credit limit to blow on bridges to nowhere and political pay offs to their districts? Please enter"yes"( "good citizen"Thank you for your time)
"No" ( Are you Sure?scary things may happen!)

Personal politics is not black/white! it's a continuum of varying mixtures; "Tea party" folks/republicans don't back every position taken by every GOP politician. Just as all democrats don't necessarily back every Dem stereotypical position.
edit on 31-7-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by lifeissacred

By large "minority" do you mean the "big interest" that could be argued to be a major contributing factor in our troubles?

Oh and,

The whole point of representative democracy is supposed to be that opposing viewpoints can be reconciled by the representative, with direct democracy there is no compromise.

Isn't that part of the reason we are where we are today?

One side saying you get your way if I get my way, equals you can spend if I can spend, ok we are both happy and so are our big interest we just secured money for.

edit on 31-7-2011 by IndieA because: grammer

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Here is a thread that goes into some of the issues with such a system www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ProphecyPhD

Republic and democracy are not mutually exclusive

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by IndieA

By large minority I mean the hypothetical 51% who may dictate a policy reprehensible for the 49%. Compromise is what is needed otherwise it's even easier for extreme, reactionary policies to find their way into a political system.
edit on 31-7-2011 by lifeissacred because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by lifeissacred

Well then “the people” would be responsible for enacting any extremes and would also hold the power to correct such extremes when necessary. I see your point though.

Perhaps there’s another way to prevent extremes in this type of government.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by IndieA

The idea is sound, but in practice it has just as many flaws as the current system. There's nothing wrong with using a similar system to gauge public approval/disapproval of government policy, however giving the people complete control over policy welcomes conflict.

new topics

top topics

join