It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drink a few beers and make Goldman Sachs more cash!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Nice try. The markets, when properly regulated - and if you are familiar with my posts they frequently call out for more and more robust regulation, something this administration, so hell bent on transparency has failed to do. Because they (and prior administrations) have failed to act, many markets fail to function appropriately.

Having a firm which makes markets in a commodities be the holders of 1/4 of the global supply, substantially degrades the fairness of those markets. There is no fair market in aluminum as a result of the current practices used by Goldman in this instance. How can there be a fair market when the supply is being manipulated. Those industries which rely on aluminum should be able to access a free and unencumbered market and they don't have that. Manufactures price risk into their products. When markets are mainipulated and operate outside of the constraints of normal market forces they become inherently more risky and that risk will be priced into the product, regardless of the actual price of the commodity. Its just the way it works.

Yes, a simple regulation which stipulates that firms that trade in commodities can not be in a business where they control the supply of that commodity in the market. Clean, quick and a free market regulation.

As far as the bonuses, yes they are outrageous and anyone would be a fool to hold stock in a firm that pays executives that much money, an absolute fool. My issue with Goldmans bonuses is that they were largely paid for by government supported manipulation of the market, as the government essentially gave Goldman $billions of interest free cash which they used to trade on their own books and generate massive profits. To take the ultimate point, they took tax payer money, manipulated the supply of aluminum in the market and made a ton of cash - and raised prices for all aluminum consumers.

Again, consistent with my other posts. There is a place for the government to regulate markets. That place is to ensure fairness of the marketplace and a maximum amount of transparency with respect to policy. The issue with Goldman Sachs, of course is that due to there integration into senior levels of the government, they are directly opposed to any reasonable proposal to increase transparency. Hell, driving less transparency into the markets is a primary avenue of business for them.

The irony is that the bastion of free markets and unfettered finance, Goldman Sachs is in reality on the tit of the government and the last thing they want is free markets and unfettered finance. That, afterall, would be a level playing field and they have not had to deal with one of those in decades.

edit on 31-7-2011 by dolphinfan because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-7-2011 by dolphinfan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I drink my beer from glass bottles.
Maybe they will screw themselves by hoarding all this aluminum. If they push too hard, I am sure the bottling companies will just switch over to glass and plastic leaving Goldman holding the bag.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

Just do like me.

Brew your own beer. That way you know whats in it and it never touches a can

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow
If you're drinking beer out of a can you're doing it wrong.

Actually not true!

I mean, drinking it straight from the can, that's a big no-no.

But a can is actually a superior vessel for beer storage. Zero light or air contamination. If you drink straight from the can you do get a metallic taste because your mouth is touching the metal. If you pour it into a glass, as you should, there is no metallic taste.

The reason the vast majority of craft breweries use bottles is because a canning setup costs a LOT more than a bottling setup, in addition to that, to buy cans printed with your label you have to order in quantities of like 100.000 at a time or something ridiculous like that, not sure on the exact number so don't quote me. So it's just a huge investment into the whole setup for canning. The big boys can afford it easily, most small craft breweries cannot. That, and as is evident by the people posting here, craft brew drinkers generally view canned beer in a negative light. So, it's a bad idea for breweries to start canning their beer, as some may shy away from it because of the "eww, a can, it must be crap beer" people out there.

Oscar Blues, a brewery that makes some EXCELLENT beer, many of them thought very highly of in their style (Imperial Stout - "Ten Fidy" Imperial IPA- "Gubna" Imperial Red- "Gordon" or recently changed to "G-Knight" which was named after Gordon Knight and changed from "Gordon" because of a threat of legal action from POS Gordon Biersch Brewing for using the name "Gordon"

Oscar Blue's Scotch Ale (Old Chub) and Pale Ale (Dale's Pale Ale) and Pilsner (Mama's Little Yella Pills) are OK but not really my style. Others love them, however.

I realize this is long winded, just wanted to point out that there actually IS high-quality craft beer that comes in a can, and more will start in the future. Sierra Nevada announced they were going to start canning their Pale Ale. 21st Amendment Brewing also uses cans, and joins Oscar Blues in being well respected in the craft brew scene.

Anyway,

I find it funny how they don't try to explain how they aren't doing anything WRONG. They only say they aren't doing anything ILLEGAL. It's very obviously a shady thing to be doing, just like with diamonds, it makes an artificially inflated market price. If the large companies released all their diamond supply into the market, diamonds wouldn't really be that expensive. May not be illegal, definitely wrong in my book. Boo on them. I really wouldn't expect anything else though, to be honest. It seems you have to be morally bankrupt in order to be involved with the corporate world.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   

It looks like theres nothing free about the free market

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2e201e8ae0fd.jpg[/atsimg]
Forgotten 'Collateral Damage' Of White Mans Greed.
Somebody Elses Problem.

'Evil Thrives When Good Men Do Nothing'.
-Edmund Burke

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by James1982

reply to post by James1982

I was about to say, cans are a good thing for beer, light impervious and superior seal. It was nice to see such a detailed explanation though. Ten Fidy is delicious, Dale's is Great in general, I didn't know that about G'NIGHT. New England Brewing also cans practically up the road from me, Sea Hag IPA is really good, but 668 Neighbor of the Beast Belgian Strong Pale Ale is my favorite of their offerings. I maintain 53 draught lines daily, we always have something Dales on. I had some Oak Aged Arrogant Bastard on awhile ago that was lovely, we're running Unibroue Trois Pistoles at the moment, I have a bit of a man crush on Unibroue, had a couple of bottles of their Terrible Dark Ale awhile back, and a dusty bottle of Quelque Chose that was an interesting 50% Dark Ale 50% Brown Ale Brewed with Cherries. I actually did some bottle training earlier today. North Coast LE MERLE Belgian Style Farmhouse Ale, Birra Del Borgo "ReAle Extra" Saison, Birrificio Del Ducato, Nuova Mattina, among others. I'm looking forward to picking up a bottle of Saison Dupont and Stillwater Artisanal Existent later, for a camping trip. In all the political madness and global turmoil, a good beer keeps my head grounded, good to see a fellow enthusiast out there. It's nice to see the revival of craft beer in spite of the big beer corporate juggernauts and their billion dollar advertising campains that has the masses gulping swill. And damn these kuntz running this insane asylum!

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpaDe_
I drink my beer from glass bottles.
Maybe they will screw themselves by hoarding all this aluminum. If they push too hard, I am sure the bottling companies will just switch over to glass and plastic leaving Goldman holding the bag.

Doubt it. Plastic comes from oil. And just so know, Goldman is the biggest oil company in the world.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by pshea38

Um, even if you wipe out all of the white man that's not gonna do anything for Africa.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

Yes, just start taking em' out, one by one.
Soon, they'll realize that their are repercussions for their actions.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by pshea38
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2e201e8ae0fd.jpg[/atsimg]
Forgotten 'Collateral Damage' Of White Mans Greed.
Somebody Elses Problem.

'Evil Thrives When Good Men Do Nothing'.
-Edmund Burke

That's Blankfein on his next incarnation on earth

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   

I know you don't believe it but I am agreeing with you. This is fraud and abuse by Goldman Sachs manipulating the marketplace to make themselves a ton of money and bilking every consumer out there. They've used their money and power to influence the government into not regulating this type of activity.

Goldman Sachs is manipulating the price of oil. Oil prices are not being determined by simple supply and demand. GS is hoarding oil in storage tanks and forcing the price up. Morgan Stanley and Deutsche Bank are doing it to, and have been for the past several years. (BANKS HOARD OIL IN STORAGE TANKS)

Goldman Sachs does the same thing with Aluminum (Goldmans Sachs Secret Cash Cow - Detroit Warehouses Full of Metal

Now you know why the big banks with their Koch enablers (and yes that includes the Fox/Koch Tea Party) are fighting bank regulations so hard, so this can become wave of the future, and us peons can get used to paying through the nose for any commodity.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
ever consider that under the Goldman Sachs roof...there are many different departments & all of them compete with each other to make the biggest performance Bonuses...

so it might not be as lock-tight-conspiracy as one would suppose... just too many moving parts in that financial monster for even the ethics portion of the Board of Directors to have these specific 'conflicts' outlined

this particular Aluminum hoarding operation is likely independent of their Futures and Short position dealers, and are likely betting against themselves in many situations...just a guess on my part as we are not privy to the GS protocols or business outlook

but, yeah GS and the NY Fed are both leaders in disreputable practices
edit on 7-11-2011 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join