It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Debt ceiling failing? Credit rating shrinking? Party! (Obama is!)

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by sickofitall2012

We are broke, our country is headed for disaster. It's not the birthday per se, it's the situation. Again, WE'RE BROKE.

No, we aren't. Don't believe the hype. Daddy just went on a War Bender and now doesnt want to pay the water bill.

We don't have the money to throw around right now.

Really, so who is paying for all these wars and stuff?

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by incrediblelousminds

Really, so who is paying for all these wars and stuff?
So, you really don't get it at all, do you? NOBODY is paying for the wars or most of the other debt. That is the problem. We are servicing the interest and then they look for new spending. It is like you calling the water company and saying "I can only pay part of my bill this month, and some of the interest for the last few decades, but please don't turn off the water".

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Undertough
Is Obama the first president to have a birthday party while in office and to do a fundraiser? What is it about this I am not getting?

We are broke, our country is headed for disaster. It's not the birthday per se, it's the situation. Again, WE'RE BROKE.

Who is we? Are you broke? Is Obama broke? Is GE broke? Is the Pentagon broke? Who exactly is we?

We don't have the money to throw around right now.
I'm not sure at all, but I'd bet FDR didn't throw a bunch of parties and take vacations all over the world on the taxpayers dime.

Actually he did and it worked out great. Look into the FDR birthday ball.

He was trying to fix the problem , he sat at the helm and actually took part in running the country. I don't agree with the nanny state he helped create, I'm just saying, it's no time to throw our money around on flashy parties, but then again obama has never tried to hide his disdain towards the US. He flaunts his $$ every chance he gets while we all struggle to survive, shameful, really shameful.

That sounds like a lot of empty partisan rhetoric. Every president throws big parties all the time. I do not understand why Obama gets so much negative press for the simple things other presidents did not even get mention of. It completely devalues legitimate discussion of his misgiving and failings as a president when you come to accept the source is going to complain anytime the man sneezes just because of who is doing the sneezing and not the repercussions of said expellation.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   

You defenders of Obama just don't get it do you?
He is throwing a huge party at our expense!
Again, AT OUR EXPENSE.
This isn't about the right or left, it's about the blatant misuse of our money. What really chaps my a** is that while he's throwing our money away on his stupid party, he's pocketing all those millions in contributions.
At least Marie Antoinette had an excuse, she was just a child.
Obama on the other hand is just an a**.

Citation needed showing the fundraising event is tax dollars verses DNC dollars

As far as him...going places, well, he will be doing that for the rest of his life.
Fun fact, even after a president is gone, he gets treated like royalty on tax dollars...if GWB today goes to a strip club, he is going with tax dollar paid limo and bodyguards paid for by us.

So...erm ya...there is that.

But I am sure this is different somehow...this in particular is a waste of our money that should be challenged because erm...Obama is different somehow. hmm...what is it about him that is different than any other president beforehand that would have otherwise been able to travel places
-ponders really hard on that-....

Oh, I know...he has irish ancestry! What...you don't like the irish?

Yes, the implied racism is a bit of a joke, but really...what exactly is objectionable to you...that you don't get to personally plan on his itinary?

You are suffering a barack attack...there may be some issues that come up where you can feel great about attacking the O, but when you attack every single thing he does, it totally dulls the effect of your words...cry wolf and whatnot.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonofliberty1776
NOBODY is paying for the wars or most of the other debt.

Really? So Halliburton is working for free?

Those soldiers paychecks are what, exactly?

You seem to not be able to separate large scale theoretical models from real life.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   

You seem to not be able to separate large scale theoretical models from real life.

When you buy a tv with your credit card, does the store get paid?

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Money is backed by debt, I.O.U and America can take on much more debt so long as the interest stays low and the Federal reserve or investors are willing to buy the bonds.
The downside is that when interest starts to rise, and it becomes more and more difficult to pay on the debts, so a default becomes a real threat.
Uncle Sam just does his money magic, bonds in one backpocket, money out of the other backpocket, until oil has risen to above $120 and people can't afford to consume anymore, that would be the end of the line for Americans, but not for America, the government will just cut more spending and raise taxes, i wonder who will want to be president after Obama leaves office and the debt is 17 trillion.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
I could care less about fund raising.
I could care less about donors.

It's the timing that speaks volumes about Obama.

Yeah, he should change his birthday! What nerve.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Patriot4Revolt
reply to post by beezzer

TO NOT ACT, IS TO ACCEPT. I DO NOT ACCEPT OUR GOVERNMENT GETTING RICH ON OUR DOLLARS, WHILE OUR OWN PEOPLE, THAT HELPED LINE THEIR POCKETS, ARE SUFFERING.

I PERSONALLY KNOW PEOPLE WHO CANNOT GET THEIR DIABETES MEDICATIONS. WHO CANNOT FIX OUR ROOFS. WHO ALSO SERVED OUR COUNTRY. JUST SEEMS TO ME TO BE A SLAP IN THE FACE TO THEM. THAT DOES NOT SIT WELL WITH ME.

WE HAVE TO START SOMEWHERE. I PROPOSE WE PUT OUR PERSONAL DIFFERENCES ASIDE, AND STAND AS ONE PEOPLE.

WE NEED LEADERSHIP THAT WANTS TO WORK FOR OUR COUNTRY, NOT FOR THEIR WALLETS. DOING NOTHING WILL ILLUSTRATE ACCEPTANCE. I VOW TO DO NOTHING OF THE SORT.

OUR FOREFATHER DIED FOR OUR FREEDOMS, WHY ARENT WE WILLING TO DO THE SAME? I AM!

I applaud your intent, but unfortunately you'll have to go elsewhere to organize any kinds of actions. Also, any kind of meaningful actions (even protests) will end up with a lot of people arrested or killed, so I hope you're prepared for that.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Beezer...

You should know by now that Obama supporters are always going to be Obama supporters, even if he killed a school bus loaded full of children.

They wont ever hold him accountable, because he is God to them.

No amount of reason can change it.

You can show facts, videos, audio, and it still wont matter. They will ALWAYS find a way to not hold him accountable for his actions or inactions.

This nation got what it deserved when they elected this guy; screwed over.
;

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

You defenders of Obama just don't get it do you?
He is throwing a huge party at our expense!
Again, AT OUR EXPENSE.
This isn't about the right or left, it's about the blatant misuse of our money. What really chaps my a** is that while he's throwing our money away on his stupid party, he's pocketing all those millions in contributions.
At least Marie Antoinette had an excuse, she was just a child.
Obama on the other hand is just an a**.

Citation needed showing the fundraising event is tax dollars verses DNC dollars

As far as him...going places, well, he will be doing that for the rest of his life.
Fun fact, even after a president is gone, he gets treated like royalty on tax dollars...if GWB today goes to a strip club, he is going with tax dollar paid limo and bodyguards paid for by us.

So...erm ya...there is that.

But I am sure this is different somehow...this in particular is a waste of our money that should be challenged because erm...Obama is different somehow. hmm...what is it about him that is different than any other president beforehand that would have otherwise been able to travel places
-ponders really hard on that-....

Oh, I know...he has irish ancestry! What...you don't like the irish?

Yes, the implied racism is a bit of a joke, but really...what exactly is objectionable to you...that you don't get to personally plan on his itinary?

You are suffering a barack attack...there may be some issues that come up where you can feel great about attacking the O, but when you attack every single thing he does, it totally dulls the effect of your words...cry wolf and whatnot.

One more time, it's not about the freakin party
It's about his blatant flaunting of money at a time when he should be showing constraint, but when has the left ever done that.
I don't like to think about all the money congress and politicians waste on their "benefits" They ALL live quite well on our backs. It's what motivates them to serve.
Really? You think all that food and booze is all paid by the DNC?
I can only hope.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   

One more time, it's not about the freakin party
It's about his blatant flaunting of money at a time when he should be showing constraint, but when has the left ever done that.

Indeed. IT is not about the party, sir. And we know those wiley Deocrats like to spend money.

Meanwhile, the GOP are practicing serious fiscal conservatism.They never have party fundraisers.

www.dailyjournal.net...

www.usatoday.com...

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   

When you buy a tv with your credit card, does the store get paid?

Yes, actually they do. Are you really going to argue otherwise?

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by incrediblelousminds

You do know what debt means right? As in not paid for. Ever heard about how much we owe just China for money we borrowed?
www.washingtonpost.com...

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by sickofitall2012

again, you seem to have only a pedestrian understanding of the issue. We are not broke, and most of our 'debt' is interest the federal government owns itself.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Fundraiser same difference. Solicit money.
It really doesn't matter, you just need to pick your battles. If you think someone is going to say "man libya was bad, but this is just outrageous" it's not going to happen. It hurts your credibility more than his.
When some actual s**t goes down and you post that it's really important and "hey you guys really need to read this" some of us will miss it thinking you cried wolf.

You have to be reasonable enough to see that this isn't a big deal.. it's even debatable whether it's even in poor taste due to the time. If it was planned months ago, it's a coincidence, he couldn't know they wouldn't have an agreement prior (and I say he but i mean the hundreds involved in organizing this thing).

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Undertough
It completely devalues legitimate discussion of his misgiving and failings as a president when you come to accept the source is going to complain anytime the man sneezes

This exactly.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Originally posted by SaturnFX
So, exactly what should Obama be doing the day after the 2nd? Explain what a POTUS should be doing?

What is your argument exactly? that..he is having a birthday, or that he is attending a fundraiser? Would him sitting in his office somehow = all the worlds problems disappearing?

This discussion makes no sense. If you want this issue to pass, call up your congressmen and tell them to compromise...you personally have more power than Obama at this point when it comes to your local congressmen...are you considering having a party anytime soon?
edit on 31-7-2011 by SaturnFX because: (no reason given)

My issue is the impression that the leader portrays.
If Moodys downgades our credit rating, I would expect the president to be at his office. Not asking for money or partying.

If interest rates are going to climb, stock market going to crash, I'd expect the captain to be at the helm. Not the lido deck doing tequilla shooters off the stomach of Rosie O'Donnel.

Hey!! While I agree with almost everything you said..Back off Rosie O'Donnels stomach!!

First of all, I hear she almost did a whole sit-up last week and is working off the weight with Mrs.Obama's weight control diet... You know the one..French Fries and Cheeseburgers,followed by a nice thin sliced piece of Apple in her Happy Meal followed by a nice Hot Apple Pie Dessert!

Secondly...Wouldn't YOU pay a 1000bucks a shot of cheap tequila to do shots off her belly with Pics of Obama?

It's for the PARTY Bro.

His and the Dems.

Show some respect!

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Well how do you like that! Looks like they will pass this do nothing crap bill. Absolutely no cuts, raise the debt ceiling. I mean, what the hell is this bill? It is junk!

But hey, they got to appease the Wall Street banksters. Dow futures up 155 points now.

All is merry, this was a complete circus show, bill will pass, kick the can down the road, time to go back to watching your baseball games or American Idol.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

When is the last time you heard of a Congressperson doing what their constituents want? That post was good for a hearty laugh.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join