It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7000+ Accounts and 70 Police sites taken down in the name of AntiSec

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Yeah, Operation Onslaught has been in the planning for a couple of weeks, over a month i think actually. You'll see the product of #oponslaught in most major cities in the world i would think. There are lots of people taking to the streets, hell, i even saw them up in my neck of the woods up here in atlantic canada.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   

In all seriousness, tptb don't need Anonymous to increase Internet security. They could do it overnight if they wanted to. Most of these Anonymous spin-off groups are just kids playing around for the lulz without any caring of the consequences of their actions.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by SpringHeeledJack

oh yeah right

ever heard of walking into a trap?

dont you know the only way to survive an ambush is not walking into it to begin with

but go ahead and fight, see where that leads you.

also on a sidenote, you display a "high horse" atitude to other posters, and you are also obviously caught up in a cyber war you watching from the sidelines.
that alone leaves one little or no interest to debate or interact with you.

wich is sad, because you do display deep knowledge on this subject.

you just need to climb down from your pedestal

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   
im still waiting for them to pick me up

come on feds im not only a supporter, I'm a member

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Is this type of behavior not just another form of terrorism? Where do you draw the line? If innocents die or people loose income or livelihood due to the actions of this group will you still stand with them (speaking to no one in particular)?

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by mileysubet
Is this type of behavior not just another form of terrorism?

Everything is terrorism.

The word has lost it's meaning. Thanks.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Well, I think it's funny. The FBI and other agencies are running around like a chickens with their heads cut off trying to catch anonymous while they just keep hacking for laughs. There seems to be more anonymous than there are law enforcement. If they keep trying to lock up anonymous they are going to need to build lots more jails.

And I don't have any sympathy for anyone that sells out others for money, reduced sentences or privileges.
edit on 7/31/2011 by Bramble Iceshimmer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bramble Iceshimmer

And I don't have any sympathy for anyone that sells out others for money, reduced sentences or privileges.

Just how do you know what these anonymous tips consist of?

This just says anonymous tipsters....

It says TIPS not testimony...

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Uhm, I would think by now any law enforcement website would be secured. Having confidential information on your server and not having proper security installed is the result of your own carelessness.

Here's the gig:

Law enforcement agency, "Oh we want a website, everyone has one!"
Idiot web designer, "Sure we can build one for you, but it'll cost x dollars."
"Oh, ok, make it look pretty!"
"We can do that."

Back in the day when all these websites were created, because everyone HAD to have one, they were set up with simple tools by people with little to no knowledge of how the internet actually works. In other words, NO SECURITY.

I randomly picked a website off that list: lawrencecosheriff.com

Then I ran a whois: (public record)

Current Registrar: NETWORK SOLUTIONS, LLC.
IP Address: xxx.xxx.181.xxx (ARIN & RIPE IP search) (ip xxx'd by me for privacy, lol)
Record Type: Domain Name
Server Type: Apache 1
Lock Status: clientTransferProhibited
WebSite Status: Active

Registrant: (Make this info private)
Lawrence County Sheriff Department
300 Water St
Mount Vernon, MO 65712
US

Domain Name: LAWRENCECOSHERIFF.COM

Administrative Contact :
George, Duane,
dgeorge@SOFNET.COM
300 Water St
Mount Vernon, MO 65712
US
Phone: (417) 466-2131
Fax: (417) 466-4222

Technical Contact :
dschmidly@lawrencecosheriff.com
300 Water St
Mount Vernon, MO 65712
US
Phone: (417) 466-2131
Fax: 999 999 9999

Record expires on 08-Feb-2014
Record created on 08-Feb-2002
Database last updated on 21-Jan-2009

The first thing I'll point out in this random example is the "Server Type: Apache 1". Oh my god! They are running Apache version 1. Mind you, Apache is the best server out there, and currently runs 80% of the internet. However, you can't run that version anymore, the current release is version 2.3. They are running an outdated server version. THEIR fault.

The second thing I'll point out is the "Administrative Contact: Duane George". He's the guy that set up the server, supposedly is the System Administrator, and is the fella responsible for all aspects of the servers integrity. If they got hacked, then the finger should be pointed at him. He was the one that was supposed to upgrade the server to Apache 2.2 or 2.3, and never did. He's the guy that didn't check for security exploits, and left the server open for compromise. You can't be a cop and a website admin at the same time, something will fail. Website admin is a full time job. It's like leaving your car unlocked and the keys in the ignition in the middle of Wal-mart parking lot. WHO would DO that? Who would you blame if it's stolen?

The third thing is the "record created date: February 8th, 2002". That's when they bought their domain name, and they registered it for 12 years. Last updated in 2009. Most likely they bought the domain, set up a website, and never thought twice about security. Shame on them.

Here's a little about server security:

Keep up to Date: The Apache HTTP Server has a good record for security and a developer community highly concerned about security issues. But it is inevitable that some problems -- small or large -- will be discovered in software after it is released. For this reason, it is crucial to keep aware of updates to the software. If you have obtained your version of the HTTP Server directly from Apache, we highly recommend you subscribe to the Apache HTTP Server Announcements List where you can keep informed of new releases and security updates. Similar services are available from most third-party distributors of Apache software.

Of course, most times that a web server is compromised, it is not because of problems in the HTTP Server code. Rather, it comes from problems in add-on code, CGI scripts, or the underlying Operating System. You must therefore stay aware of problems and updates with all the software on your system.

Read more about server security HERE.

In other words, if you leave your front door unlocked, it's only a matter of time before before someone walks in and robs you blind. Who do you blame? Yourself or the thieves? If you have security installed on your website, it's NOT going to get broken into. THAT'S the real story. Script kiddies are just going around the neighborhood and checking to see which doors are unlocked. Seems that there are a lot of them.

Law enforcement agencies, and ANYONE else with sensitive data on their servers SERIOUSLY need to take a second look at their security protocols. They are jeopardizing their own employees.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Druid42
It's like leaving your car unlocked and the keys in the ignition in the middle of Wal-mart parking lot. WHO would DO that? Who would you blame if it's stolen?

In other words, if you leave your front door unlocked, it's only a matter of time before before someone walks in and robs you blind. Who do you blame? Yourself or the thieves?

It is nothing like that..

Yes I would blame the thief who stole my car...

I blame the thieves for *robbing me blind*

Cuzz what if just my doors were unlocked on my car and the guy gets in easy
but just has to hotwire it..

Or what if the thieves just knocked out a window, just as easy as walking in the front door...

I blame the thieves and your comparison..

How do you know what security this department had>?

How do you know it was that easy to get in..

Your taking information (different colors of yarn) from different places that do not belong together
and stitching them into mix matched socks...
edit on 31-7-2011 by hillynilly because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by hillynilly

Seriously, the point of a locked door is to PREVENT a robbery. Crimes could occur anyway, true. And any script kiddie will try the easiest exploit first, (testing the unlocked door) and if it's locked they'll move on to an easier target.

My whole point is that we live in 2011. Rules have changed. You simply cannot have a server with sensitive and confidential information on it unsecured anymore. That's irresponsible, ESPECIALLY with a law enforcement agency. There's nobody to blame but yourself.

ETA: Known Security Issues with Apache 1.
edit on 7/31/11 by Druid42 because: Added a link.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Hehe...
From AnonymousIRC twitter account:

AnonymousIRC (AnonymousIRC)
Not quite there, but it won't be long: Expect a massive leak every frigging day soon.
Stop this war against your citizens NOW!

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by hillynilly

The article I read on the contents via twitter post mentioned they had names of snitches along with lots of other stuff from the web sites.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
reply to post by AzureSky

A list of hundreds of snitches who made “anonymous” crime tips to the police

Bazinga.

Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.
edit on 7/31/2011 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

SoB I just spilled all my coffee...

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by drakus
This could be sensitive data in terms of putting people in danger...

And where is the line between who is putting who in danger? You don't feel an intrinsic sense of danger when a cop, armed and armoured, confronts you and threatens to crash your whole free world by claiming you broke this law or that?

Police are supposed to protect and serve the people, but when they arbitrarily throw people in jail because it creates revenue and jobs (the prison industry), then the police are no longer your friend. In fact, I think that makes them dangerous enough to individual rights that something should be done about it to show them that they are no higher up on the food chain than the rest of us.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 02:01 AM
link   

How do you know what security this department had>?

Its pretty obvious... NONE whatsoever... Running an outdated web server. Anyone that is smart enough to apply security patches is smart enough to update his stuff... Its basic admin stuff to do... check for patches, check for updates, check the logs and traffic for irregularities and all...

The thief and guy that get stolen isn't really a good example. People seem to have forget where the internet come from whom invented, designed and still maintain it... Hacking has been demonized when in fact it the very thing that gave life to the internet... It was NEVER designed to become the waste of data it is today, it was supposed to be a unregulated virtual world where you could interconnect computers together on vast distance and be able to share, experiment and learn about the technology as it grew... They found flaws in it...some that'd crash it... some that'd allow you access into places you shouldn't and it went from there.. back then breaking into a server meant sending a email to the admin to tell him about the hole and solutions to fix it...
And you'd be greeted with a "Ohhhh geez really??? yeah hey look at that... well thanks buddy... hey where are you from?" and you'd just made yourself another internet buddy.

THEN the corporate business saw it had potential for money and we all know how it went from there...

But never forget who's territory you are on when you get online, it was created by hackers and given to the world in hope it was going to be used for its intellectual properties. If I get hacked tomorrow I won't blame the guy that sneaked in because he was trying to learn about TCP/ip, networking and its flaws... He's where he belong... he's on the net it was the "sandbox" that was created just for that... On the other hand I'll blame myself for not having checked bugtraq for potential new stuff and not having patched my machine as I should have...

Its like the white man that tells a native not to hunt in certain places or whatever... I mean who's the white boy to tell the native what and what not to do on his territory.. he's not doing anything different than he was before/after the white guy arrives plus its his friggen land... Its the white dude that better wake up and realize where he is and learn the ways of the land instead of trying to dictate new ones...

edit on 31-7-2011 by _R4t_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by hillynilly

The article I read on the contents via twitter post mentioned they had names of snitches along with lots of other stuff from the web sites.

Via a twitter post?

Well that's why it made no sense...

So basically your just making your whole point invalid.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by hillynilly

Not really, I read about this a few hours before it was posted here and thought about posting it myself but I wanted to wait so I could download the release and/or read about it to find some juicy tidbits to make the post more interesting. The OP article contains the snitches reference and I believe others have also referenced that.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 02:55 AM
link   
Good fight law enforcement. They really should protect & serve their servers... or maybe it's citizens...

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 03:09 AM
link   
wow, These morons sure are just making it easier for them to make every one on the net known.

All these hackers are stupid, no matter what group they are in. Its just like being the smartest kid with down-syndrome even if they win, They will lose it for every one else.

I don't mind being known on the internet, I'm not hacking or breaking the law. So what would a normal person care? the only people who would have to fear or the morons fighting this so called "WAR"

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join