It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7000+ Accounts and 70 Police sites taken down in the name of AntiSec

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
reply to post by AzureSky

While I respect a persons right to protest and what not, this action goes over the line. What these morons are not understanding is by attacking these 70 law enforcement agencies and destroying their private servers and exposing names, they have not only placed officers in danger, they have single handedly screwed the public over.

All reports people have submitted are now compromised and or destroyed. This does nothing to hurt the police, and in reality hurts the public who now just lost their reports, statements, investigations etc.

What really cracks me up are how these morons go on a crusade and doll out their own justice, while railing against the government for doing the same. These idiots are exactly what they hate about the government / law enforcement.

I hope these guys get brought down by law enforcement for tampering with evidence, hindering prosecution, obstruction, fraud, witness / victim tampering and any other applcable charges for comprmoised investigations.

Talk about cutting your nose off to spite your face.

Agree entirly. Make an example of them 12 years in federal security prison should do the trick.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
If I could comment again on the OP...

I think releasing personal information of police officers was extremely irresponsible. I think the fingerprints of LulzSec are most definitely evident as I have my doubts Anonymous would post such information. I have come to that conclusion based on the fact that they recently reformed their tactics and have kept information like that held back.

Not to mention, the fact that they are calling for the release of those detained in Anonymous raids. Anyone with the smallest neuron firing upstairs knows that will NEVER happen.

And for some pure speculation on my part: I'd be willing to bet that one of these teen ignoramuses posted the personal details and that other Anons are very angry about it. That may be why they're refusing to comment on the details of the matter. I get the sense there may be some infighting at the moment. But like I said, this is pure speculation on my part at the moment.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Ok - well - has anyone actually SEEN anything?
Besides the defaced servers or downed servers and evidence of root access on web servers?

B/c all I have seen is a txt document with some names, addresses, positions, phone #s and email addresses of some LEO. And it was 900 or so kb.

So has anyone seen a torrent, or ANY of the supposed material that they grabbed?

b/c I was trying to figure out HOW what they say they have exists (maps of names to anonymous tips) but I can't - unless there is some collusion that I don't even want to dare think exists.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druid42
Uhm, I would think by now any law enforcement website would be secured. Having confidential information on your server and not having proper security installed is the result of your own carelessness.

Here's the gig:

Law enforcement agency, "Oh we want a website, everyone has one!"
Idiot web designer, "Sure we can build one for you, but it'll cost x dollars."
"Oh, ok, make it look pretty!"
"We can do that."

Back in the day when all these websites were created, because everyone HAD to have one, they were set up with simple tools by people with little to no knowledge of how the internet actually works. In other words, NO SECURITY.

I randomly picked a website off that list: lawrencecosheriff.com

Then I ran a whois: (public record)

Current Registrar: NETWORK SOLUTIONS, LLC.
IP Address: xxx.xxx.181.xxx (ARIN & RIPE IP search) (ip xxx'd by me for privacy, lol)
Record Type: Domain Name
Server Type: Apache 1
Lock Status: clientTransferProhibited
WebSite Status: Active

Registrant: (Make this info private)
Lawrence County Sheriff Department
300 Water St
Mount Vernon, MO 65712
US

Domain Name: LAWRENCECOSHERIFF.COM

Administrative Contact :
George, Duane,
dgeorge@SOFNET.COM
300 Water St
Mount Vernon, MO 65712
US
Phone: (417) 466-2131
Fax: (417) 466-4222

Technical Contact :
dschmidly@lawrencecosheriff.com
300 Water St
Mount Vernon, MO 65712
US
Phone: (417) 466-2131
Fax: 999 999 9999

Record expires on 08-Feb-2014
Record created on 08-Feb-2002
Database last updated on 21-Jan-2009

The first thing I'll point out in this random example is the "Server Type: Apache 1". Oh my god! They are running Apache version 1. Mind you, Apache is the best server out there, and currently runs 80% of the internet. However, you can't run that version anymore, the current release is version 2.3. They are running an outdated server version. THEIR fault.

The second thing I'll point out is the "Administrative Contact: Duane George". He's the guy that set up the server, supposedly is the System Administrator, and is the fella responsible for all aspects of the servers integrity. If they got hacked, then the finger should be pointed at him. He was the one that was supposed to upgrade the server to Apache 2.2 or 2.3, and never did. He's the guy that didn't check for security exploits, and left the server open for compromise. You can't be a cop and a website admin at the same time, something will fail. Website admin is a full time job. It's like leaving your car unlocked and the keys in the ignition in the middle of Wal-mart parking lot. WHO would DO that? Who would you blame if it's stolen?

The third thing is the "record created date: February 8th, 2002". That's when they bought their domain name, and they registered it for 12 years. Last updated in 2009. Most likely they bought the domain, set up a website, and never thought twice about security. Shame on them.

Here's a little about server security:

Keep up to Date: The Apache HTTP Server has a good record for security and a developer community highly concerned about security issues. But it is inevitable that some problems -- small or large -- will be discovered in software after it is released. For this reason, it is crucial to keep aware of updates to the software. If you have obtained your version of the HTTP Server directly from Apache, we highly recommend you subscribe to the Apache HTTP Server Announcements List where you can keep informed of new releases and security updates. Similar services are available from most third-party distributors of Apache software.

Of course, most times that a web server is compromised, it is not because of problems in the HTTP Server code. Rather, it comes from problems in add-on code, CGI scripts, or the underlying Operating System. You must therefore stay aware of problems and updates with all the software on your system.

Read more about server security HERE.

In other words, if you leave your front door unlocked, it's only a matter of time before before someone walks in and robs you blind. Who do you blame? Yourself or the thieves? If you have security installed on your website, it's NOT going to get broken into. THAT'S the real story. Script kiddies are just going around the neighborhood and checking to see which doors are unlocked. Seems that there are a lot of them.

Law enforcement agencies, and ANYONE else with sensitive data on their servers SERIOUSLY need to take a second look at their security protocols. They are jeopardizing their own employees.

And I ask you, why does this stuff occur? Incompetent people in the IT world. Those people allow hackers access. If you want to point the finger, don't wager me society vs the bad guys.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
77 law enforcement websites hacked
This will probably cause quite a stir in the msm later this week when they catch up

edit on 31-7-2011 by cripmeister because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Reaper2137

My apologies but I was a Military Police officer for most of my life. So its what I lived by, If your doing nothing wrong than what have you got to be worried about?

there were slaves on the old plantation in Dixie making similar arguments in favor of "massa", there's a name for that, which I'll refrain from using here, [T&C] most Americans know it any way.

so because you're used to wearing chains, we all have to wear them too?

it is to laugh.

and one more thing in closing:
if as an MP/LEO you've done nothing wrong,
and have nothing to be ashamed of,
you have nothing to be afraid of

======================================================

re the OP:

consider this, this is just a taste of what CIA,NSA,FBI,TSA,DHS, congress,
and potus, and the Corporations can expect if they get too authoritarian.

for now it was the snitches, many of whom no doubt have made a career out of betrayal,
and lower level enforcers.

LOL this is sooooooo much better than guns and bombs, and cheaper too!

a keystroke in the right place, can change the world.

Go Anon!!!
Go Anti-Sec!!!

edit on 31-7-2011 by DerepentLEstranger because: added edit

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

Originally posted by Fractured.Facade
Someone had to take the bait.

Expect them.

get real dude!
don't tell us that those servers were left using Apache ver.1 on purpose.

the only ones expecting anybody, are the snitches.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Every time anonymous or one of its other names pull off attacks like this they help their cause, as in the governments and corporate elite to gain control over the internet, not the other way around....

no no no

this argument boils down to "don't oppose Evil,
because Evil will just take it out on the rest of us
who are unable or unwilling to stand up to Evil."

wow that's like a brutalized housewife stabbing the cop, who burst in and saved her, in the back.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Section31

Originally posted by AzureSky
60,000 Members and counting.

"Above Top Secret" has a million members and counting.

*shrugs*

What is the big deal? Unless all 60,000 members are doing something constructive, they are only cheerleaders trying to keep everyone excited and involved.

United States population consists of 311,886,573+ people.
World Population consists of 6,952,534,479+ people.

We are really influencing them now.

AzureSky was referring to the number of members registered on the forum whatis-theplan.org. The actual number of anonymous is higher than that. Not all anonymous agree with theplan.org, some refer to them as 'tree huggers' and 'moralfags'. theplan.org is trying to organize anonymous and provide structure, in my opinion this goes against the original chaotic for the lulz nature of anonymous.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by DerepentLEstranger

wow that's like a brutalized housewife stabbing the cop, who burst in and saved her, in the back.

Releasing the names of cops along with their personal information would accomplish the same, though in a much more evil and sinister way, because that act would be deliberate and likely put the lives of good cops, their families and the same for informants in jeopardy.

Though, all they have to do to prevent this is let all of the anons go that have been arrested so far.

These are the actions of your anonymous heroes.

Feeling warm and fuzzy about them still?

Just wait until the internet as we know it changes completely as a result of exactly this kind of activity.

Your champions of freedom, are leading the fight to take it all away.

Just wait and see,

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
False Flag operation.

No one has released the names of “snitches”,

No one has released Names and address of Police Officers

No has released any sensitive information.

Period.

They just say that they have obtained it…. What for themselves ?

This is just a False Flag Operation so that control can be imposed on you and I, in the name of Security.

Can’t believe that ATS members would fall for a stunt like this.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by brokedown
False Flag operation.

No one has released the names of “snitches”,

No one has released Names and address of Police Officers

No has released any sensitive information.

Period.

They just say that they have obtained it…. What for themselves ?

Call it what you will, but according to their tweets they have demands...

They are demanding the realease of the people who have been arrested

It looks like they might have even more sensitive data that they know what to do with, ill follow this with some tweets below here.

YourAnonNews: Anonymous It's like the whole world collectively is saying # you to any and all government. 6 hours ago

YourAnonNews: Anonymous Word is that we are sitting on more sensitive data than we can ever upload. Just a matter of selection now. Arrest us. We dare you. #AntiSec

AnonymousIRC AnonymousIRC
by AnonymousPress
We will not rest until every single one of our political prisoners are freed. This is unlikely, we know. Until then: Game on! #AntiSec
7 hours ago

YourAnonNews Anonymous
RT @AnonymousIRC: Free Mercedes. Free Trivette. Free all the rest of our friends. | Non-criminals. Citizens. Civil Protestors. #OpPayPal

In other words, we'll not publish all of this stuff, if you let our friends go.

edit on 31-7-2011 by Fractured.Facade because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fractured.Facade

Releasing the names of cops along with their personal information would accomplish the same, though in a much more evil and sinister way, because that act would be deliberate and likely put the lives of good cops, their families and the same for informants in jeopardy.

They're anonymous, they do what they want. Only one ideal unites them: the free exchange of information.

Just wait until the internet as we know it changes completely as a result of exactly this kind of activity.

Your champions of freedom, are leading the fight to take it all away.

Just wait and see,

You can repeat this ad nauseam but it still won't happen.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
This is just another lie to get people to believe that policemens' lives are in danger so that Jay Rockefeller and the CIA can continue in their dream to reclaim the Internet from the people. Here is there plan. They attack their own sites, police sites and 7000+ accounts and then blame this "figment of an imagination" group called Anonymous, who just like Al-Quieda, is an unknown number of faceless terrorists, the world believes them blindly as they always have, like good little sheep, the end equals us getting our Internet heavily policed by Interpol or the FBI or the CIA or the NSA.....truthfully, it will be all of them. We will no longer have freedom of speech on here (about the only place left that they don't control) and we will no longer have free reign here (our power). The will be able to watch us at all times, everything we say and will be able to arrest us for any infraction they deem necessary, however benign...they will refer to it as Digital Terrorism. As the news on the television classically does, the story and your photo will be all over the Internet and the public will only hear THEIR side of the story....a demonized story in your honor, of course. You will not be heard from again. they will also treat this Internet as a corporate cathouse and pimp out all manner of "channels" that you once got for free,..YouTube, Facebook, Yahoo, Chat rooms, Forums etc. and just like on television you will have to pay for basic and premium packages and extra for more popular sites of interactivity. This senate bill has already been in the works for some time and the only way they can take the net from us is to stage crap like this. This most likely didn't even happen...we are just being TOLD it did. If it did happen, the CIA or FBI did it because they are the only ones on earth that has that type of equipment that could break through those levels of encryption.
Here is a chart from Wiki on a Brute Force attack and time limits to give you an idea how hard it would be to just break through ONE secured police station. Now you know they use AT LEAST 128 bit encryption and possibly these days in the advent of Homeland Security and Interpol they most likely use 256 bit encryption to secure their files. Here is how long it would take to brute force just ONE account, let alone 7000+.

If a device existed that could brute-force a 56-bit encryption key in one second, it would take that device 149.7 trillion years to brute-force a 128-bit encryption key.

--Symmetric key length vs brute-force combinations--
Key size in bits[2]
Permutations
Brute-force time for a device checking 256 permutations per second

8 bit = 2^8 Permutations = 0 milliseconds

40 bit = 2^40 Permutations = 0.015 milliseconds

56 bit = 2^56 Permutations = 1 second

64 bit = 2^64 Permutations = 4 minutes 16 seconds

128 bit = 2^128 Permutations = 149,745,258,842,898 years

256 bit = 2^256 Permutations = 50,955,671,114,250,100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 years.

source

So you see, even thousands of hackers working together with the computers we have out here in the real world would have taken quite some years to accomplish this task. Simply not possible.

This is all a design to steal the Internet from the people and don't be so quick to just buy these stories about all of this cool hacking that is on a level never spoken of before.....and now spoken of all at once and all the time. they are working fast to take the net from us and are doing it by lies like this and people just blindly believing them without any proof.
Come on people, I keep writing this on here and everyone still chooses to believe THEIR lies. Do I really have to say it again WAKE UP? That line is getting so tired at this point. Type Jay Rockefeller and Internet into Google and you will have your answer as to who is behind all of this. I am not going to even hunt the video and the senate bills down one more time. Peace.

edit on 31-7-2011 by Phenomium because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   

and you insist on your fear-mongering

warm and fuzzy?

lol I'm ecstatic!
like i said in a prev. post if you've done nothing wrong you have nothing to be afraid of

oh, and the government will take away your internet, not mine, and you'll sit there and take it, not i.

interesting how we're supposed feel concern and sympathy for the families of the enforcer class, but the families of protestors, people who smoke pot, people abused and even killed by the enforcer class, and/or by the accusations, sometimes false, of snitches, get no sympathy at all. nor do all those kids in the ghettos who grew up without a father, cause daddy got sent to jail on a bum rap.

and certainly not the families and children murdered in foreign lands because of the psychopathic greed of the ruling classes.

no sympathy for them at all ehh?

violence breeds more violence,
and the pendulum swings until those who started the violence are destroyed.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
The goals may be admirable but the methodology is far from admirable.

Someone that I know was an "anonymous" tipster regarding a serious violent crime. You see though, it didn't start that way. They saw wrong and spoke out against it. They weren't concerned with anonimty although. The police, in order to protect this person and their family against certain reprisal, gave this person anonimty.

This is not right. I hope no one gets killed because this deplorable action.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

This kind of thing is only going to make security measures go up..

oh, wait.. maybe that was the idea.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by cripmeister

Originally posted by Section31

60,000 Members and counting.

"Above Top Secret" has a million members and counting.

*shrugs*

What is the big deal? Unless all 60,000 members are doing something constructive, they are only cheerleaders trying to keep everyone excited and involved.

United States population consists of 311,886,573+ people.
World Population consists of 6,952,534,479+ people.

We are really influencing them now.

AzureSky was referring to the number of members registered on the forum whatis-theplan.org. The actual number of anonymous is higher than that. Not all anonymous agree with theplan.org, some refer to them as 'tree huggers' and 'moralfags'. theplan.org is trying to organize anonymous and provide structure, in my opinion this goes against the original chaotic for the lulz nature of anonymous.

Oh we certainly have lulz, its not all serious business you know. There is no structure to it, we can talk to whomever we wish, just because we can organize effectively doesn't mean that there is structure. However, I do believe we are completely fine under the name Anonymous, because most of Anonymous does agree with theplan, only a select few /b/tards that don't understand anything but trolling.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
I'm fairly sure the "protect IP" Bill was made LONG before this happened. I'm also fairly sure folks getting beaten for recording the Police with video happened LONG before this happened.

to say that "this" will be the cause for "tighter security" online is to laugh.

that is like saying the TSA makes you safer to fly.

BTW an "anonymous tip" should be just that, how would they get your name if it was anonymous in the first place??

I think they should have hacked the house and senate's bank info, lets see how much cash the special interest groups have given to those that "allegedly" represent the people.

I'm fairly sure the Crown passed many laws that made the founding father of the USA illegal as well, but as they say, if you are doing nothing wrong, you have nothing to hide; They also say that a good man who does nothing to wrong rights is as guilty as the Evil doer.

but it boils down to 2 things that are Killing the American dream, being complacent and being Greedy, pick your poison

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join