It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Presidential Phone survey skewed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Last night I received an automated presidential phone survey. The recording would ask a question, list off possible answers, and then list them again prompting the user to push a button coresponding with an answer.
For example,

Who are you planning on voting for this November? Press 1 for Bush, 2 for Kerry, 3 for Badnarik.

I selected 3 for Badnarik. After making this choice, the next question was,

If you knew that Badnarik could not win the election, who would you vote for? Press 1 for Kerry, 2 for Bush, 3 for other.

Next it asked,

If you knew that a vote for Badnarik could cause one of the other candidates to lose the election, would you change your vote?

The only conclusion I can draw from the follow up questions is that they wanted to convince me that I was making a bad choice, and I could cause one of the other candidates to lose. I am assuming that it was a Kerry poll based on the changing of the order of Candidates after making my choice. I have no doubt that if I had selected one of the big 2 in the first question the survey would have been over.

P.S. The questions I quoted were not the only questions asked, but I cited them as they showed the tenor of the call and it's switch after making my selection.

EDIT: Changed subject

[edit on 8/16/2004 by phreak_of_nature]

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I disagree. Granted I don't know the polling firm as you didn't mention them, but I would suspect the order of option presentation to be randomized (or rotated in the case of two options).

Nothing here indicates a Kerry push.

In fact, history indicates the Libertarians threaten the GOP more than Dems.

www.lp.org...

Nader is the Dems monkey. LP is the Republicans. Aside from Mirthful Me.

Come to think of it? Nader wasn't even an option? Are you on any LP lists for mailing or registered as such? If so, I'd say this was DEFINITELY a GOP push poll for Bush.

[edit on 16-8-2004 by RANT]

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Why the heck wasn't Nadar on the list?
You wouldn't know the answer to that,
but I'm just thinking out loud here ....
I'd say the poll was a bit anti-Nadar.

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Well, we don't know until Phreak responds if Nader was on the list or not.

But if not (since Nader will get more votes than Badnarik), that's why I'm thinking this was a poll targeting LP voters. Possibly from a list (registration, website or other)...pushing the you're going to make Bush lose idea.

For Nader to be left off isn't necessarily anti-Nader, just they knew he wasn't an option in an LP voter's mind.

Again though, the idea behind these types of "push" polls has nothing to do with marketing research. Leaving Nader off the list alone would render any "results" invalid. Nothing will be published from this. It sounds like the point was telling people on some LP list to vote Bush...

Possibly even planting some doubt as to who authorized the poll, as has happened with Phreak assuming it was Kerry to raise anti-Kerry sentiment.

These guys aren't stupid. I've written polls myself to make you THINK it was sponsored by someone else, or at least not the real sponsor. Though I'd never participate in a push poll. This sounds just wrong on so many levels.

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Nader was on the list. Along with Other.

The marketing group performing the survey said the poll was for use on radio and tv. I don't recall the name of the company performing it, but they did state it. If it had been Move On, or Taking America back or one of the 527's I would have remebered it.

My assumption that it was a Kerry sponsored poll was based on the fact that Kerry was bumped to the number one answer after I gave my response. I know some dems have complained about their perceived loss in 2000 because of a third party candidate. But you are right, Badnarik will draw from the reps. I bet if someone answers Nader they get the same third degree though.

At one point I was a registered Libertarian for years. Currently registered as a Reform party member. I am a bit more conservative then a dem, but more liberal then a rep, hence the centerist banner over there

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 08:13 PM
link   
This evening I received another automated telephone survey. This one even more disappointing then the last.

This evening's survey was sponsored by my home county, and only included the Democratic & Republican tickets. When they came to the final question of who would you vote for, the options were Bush, Kerry or Undecided. I didn't press any buttons, and after about 15 seconds, it thanked me for completing the survey.

I did howver get a chance to give them my opinion of the candidates they were promoting.

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Why would someone pick Nader? LOL. You make it look as if picking Bush or Kerry is a good thing.

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indy
Why would someone pick Nader? LOL. You make it look as if picking Bush or Kerry is a good thing.

I'm sorry if that was the impression you got. I AM NOT in favor of either of the big 2. Or Nader either.

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
But if not (since Nader will get more votes than Badnarik),

Is he planning on donating 100,000,000++ pens?
Nader voters will need lots of pens to do all that write-in because
Ralph will not be on most ballots.

He will need some sort of distribution system,
perhaps he should be talking to Bic about biodegradable writing utensils.

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 11:15 PM
link   
True enough Teknik.
I'm just going off polls and history I suppose.

I'd actually love it if Nader didn't get close to the 4 to 6% he's polling. Or if Badnarik showed up in a national poll once in a while.

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Well if surveys include all candidates for president, perhaps some of them would show up in the polls. One out of the two surveys I have received in the last two days have not even included ALL of the candidates.

The media polls aren't complete once published either. If Bush gets 42% and Kerry gets 48% and the margin of error is 3%, what happend to the other 7%? If Nader pulls 4% on a good day, then Badnarik is getting 3%.

Of course there is the Undecided, but if they can't make up their mind, then throw the responses out. Those people aren't going to make a descion until they see election day polls, then their going to vote for who the media tells them is the winner.

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by phreak_of_nature
Last night I received an automated presidential phone survey.

If you knew that a vote for Badnarik could cause one of the other candidates to lose the election, would you change your vote?

The only conclusion I can draw from the follow up questions is that they wanted to convince me that I was making a bad choice, and I could cause one of the other candidates to lose.

I forgot to mention - this sounds llike Zogby.
Or does their telephone poll operate differently?

My first impression of Zogby was favorable,
but after digging into the media ownership background
and trying to understand how the media is being manipulated,
it became very clear that most of the polling outside of the internet
is fundamentally biased to skew results.
Even on the internet there are plenty of dumb 'either-or' polls

The phrasing coaches the response the pollster wants,
(you get two choices, that should be enough for any American)
but the kicker is to pick the correct people to get the best response.

Anyone know what Zogby's biggest client base is?

Not intending to sound cynical or anything,
the facts do not deserve emotional perspective.

new topics

top topics

join