It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So You Think "The Rich" Aren't Paying There Fair Share"

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Might be time to implement a flat consumption tax. Don't apply it to basic necessities. That mitigates the deciding between groceries and gas to an extent. The income tax laws have become too complicated and convoluted. A flat tax on non essential sales seems fair to me. There would be no havens or shelters. If you buy a car, boat, TV, electronics, software, furniture, etc, you have to pay the tax. Bread, milk, and potatoes, you don't pay a tax on. Possibly combined with a much lower rate flat income tax that is not progressive. And of course a massive reduction in government spending.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
No offense Neo, but I can't tell if you truly believe these things, or if you are judging and laughing at peoples reaction to it,

Rich people want to pay more taxes.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by no time

yeah whatever

buffet? whose entire financial fortune depends on supply and demand of any given stock hes holding even berkshire can be gone in an instant in a matter of minutes by anything that scares the market.

i personally think buffet has gone senile your not going to stay rich when you lose site of even the value of 1 dollar.
edit on 30-7-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Wow. Unproductive people want those who are productive (and successful) to take care of the people who are not productive and act surprised when we object. These same people have no experience in running/operating a business so they believe that all money earned is "profit" and should be shared. It is the story of the grasshopper and ant.

Parents and teachers have done a horrible job in preparing this young generation for the realities of life. Punch a clock; put in your weekly 40+; save and plan then get it taken away from you. Good reason for so many to be so angry, don't you think? I believe that the ones who want the rich to pay more are too lazy to make it on their own. But that's just my observation.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
reply to post by buster2010

and taxing the hell out of someone else instead of yourself is hell of alot greedier.

Lottery money is given it's not earned by any means. Do you consider walking up and buying a ticket work?

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   

edit on 30-7-2011 by neo96 because: wrong person

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

and like all that tax money taken from others is earned um well yeah by someone else

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Yes, I think in a country where an unprecedented amount of wealth is concentrated in the hands of 1% of the population, that that portion of the population should be heavily taxed to ensure that money enters the economy again. Concentrated wealth is detrimental to a nations economy.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by incrediblelousminds
reply to post by neo96

Yes, I think in a country where an unprecedented amount of wealth is concentrated in the hands of 1% of the population, that that portion of the population should be heavily taxed to ensure that money enters the economy again. Concentrated wealth is detrimental to a nations economy.

So that makes it right to STEAL it from them?

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by GeorgiaGirl

Taxes are not theft. Taxes without representation are theft. Currently, the top1% of wealth holders in the US are VERY well represented.

Which is why they pay a lower tax rate than you.

The real question is, why do you defend their gross accumulation of wealth, even when it is obviously detrimental to the economy we all participate in?

We're not talking about taking all their money. Quite the opposite. The point is that the wealthy should contribute at a proportionate rate. Currently, they don.t
edit on 30-7-2011 by incrediblelousminds because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by incrediblelousminds

concentrated taxation is detrimental to the economy and its never satisfied more more and moreeeeeeeeee

with its sole purpose of turning that 1 percent into that 99 percent and then who are you going to tax?

yourself? wait no one left awww oh well

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   

concentrated taxation is detrimental to the economy and its never satisfied more more and moreeeeeeeeee

with its sole purpose of turning that 1 percent into that 99 percent and then who are you going to tax?

yourself? wait no one left awww oh well

Oh, neo. No one is saying we should tax the rich until they have no money. Such absurd comments. To tax the "1 percent into that 99%" would be a HUGE jump from the current situation.

You entertain me so. Are you really incapable of thinking outside of comically absurd extremes?

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by incrediblelousminds

Taxes are not theft. Taxes without representation are theft. Currently, the top1% of wealth holders in the US are VERY well represented.

Which is why they pay a lower tax rate than you.

The real question is, why do you defend their gross accumulation of wealth, even when it is obviously detrimental to the economy we all participate in?

We're not talking about taking all their money. Quite the opposite. The point is that the wealthy should contribute at a proportionate rate. Currently, they don.t
edit on 30-7-2011 by incrediblelousminds because: (no reason given)

We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. ~Winston Churchill

When there's a single thief, it's robbery. When there are a thousand thieves, it's taxation. ~Vanya Cohen

The point to remember is that what the government gives it must first take away. ~John S. Coleman, address, Detroit Chamber of Commerce, 1956

If, from the more wretched parts of the old world, we look at those which are in an advanced stage of improvement, we still find the greedy hand of government thrusting itself into every corner and crevice of industry, and grasping the spoil of the multitude. Invention is continually exercised, to furnish new pretenses for revenues and taxation. It watches prosperity as its prey and permits none to escape without tribute. ~Thomas Paine

Collecting more taxes than is absolutely necessary is legalized robbery. ~Calvin Coolidge

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

All Americans are being over-taxed. But it's no coincidence that banks and businesses own the biggest buildings in town.

The problem is you're grouping the wrong people into the "rich" group. You think the celebrities own wealth? They may have more than the rest of us, but not a spit in the ocean when compared to the big businesses and banks.

America is being over taxed.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   

glad you feel that way means i dont have to bother responding anymore

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by mustard seed

finance.yahoo.com...

www.usatoday.com...

www.cbsnews.com...

money.cnn.com...

yep yep only all those evil rich people dont pay taxes.

And all those folks who don't pay income tax make up for it in consumer taxes,utility taxes, gas taxes and the myriad fees for doing a damn thing now days. If you think ANYBODY get off without paying you are kidding yourself.
Your posts show you have no clue as to how money is really handled in large amounts and likely never will but will defend to the death those who continue to profit at your expense, amazing.
seed

It is like a chicken thinking that Colonel Sanders is giving him all of this extra food just because he loves him when in reality Sanders is just fattening up the chickens so he can slaughter them and sell them for a huge profit.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Gexi1992

and the problem i forsee is going after those people who make the bulk of their money offshore and can pick up and leave at any given time.

oh wait they have and how many millions of americans are out of work and underpaid because of the nonstop demagoguery of all those "Evil villains"

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   

None of those quotes address the point I was making about how such an UNPRECEDENTED amount of wealth concentrated in the hands of such a small handful of people is detrimental to the economy. Yes, over-taxing would be bad, too.Lucky for you, we are very much NOT over-taxing the top 1%. Unluckily for everyone else, they are paying a lower percentage now than they have in a very long time, and hold more wealth in their hands than EVER before.

Your defense of the concentration of wealth in the hands of a few elite is astounding and incredibly misguided if you are indeed an actual human.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Are you talking about the rich, rich or are you talking about some schmuck who won the lottery? I don't like to confuse old money blue blood aristocrats with the guy who invented silly putty.
Do they pay too much in taxes? I guess not! There sure are a lot of lobbyists and they sure do hand out a lot of money. I guess it's ok to give money to the government when its voluntary and it's a quid pro quo deal, at everyone else's direct or indirect expense.
Do the rich own the media that keeps everyone docile and stupid by design?
Do the rich benefit from the government that bombs other countries to protect our "interests"? You do know that our "interests" are things that rich people want and need to stay rich and powerful.
Do the rich own the government that makes the laws that prop up oligopolistic corporations that stifle competition and innovation?
If the rich can't figure out a way to turn a profit out of you they own the government that will come and put you in jail.
If people ever wake up and try to change the status quo the rich own the government that will send the police to bash their heads in.
Rich people get a lot for their tax dollars,everyone else gets wars they don't need, prisons and police to keep them in line, oppressive laws, oh and medicare and social security that the rich can't stand and sadly the propaganda that they employ against these things seems to work on some people.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   

America's corporate tax rate is 35 percent. But 115 companies on the S&P500 pay less than 20 percent in taxes, according to a study the Capital IQ and The New York Times. That's not even counting 37 companies like Citigroup and AIG that received more in tax credits than they paid. All this thanks to loopholes in the immensely complicated tax code.

Received more than they paid. I wish I could afford a fancy tax attorney that would have the government pay me taxes through loopholes.

www.businessinsider.com...

Most U.S. and foreign corporations doing business in the United States avoid paying any federal income taxes, despite trillions of dollars worth of sales, a government study released on Tuesday said. The Government Accountability Office said 72 percent of all foreign corporations and about 57 percent of U.S. companies doing business in the United States paid no federal income taxes for at least one year between 1998 and 2005. More than half of foreign companies and about 42 percent of U.S. companies paid no U.S. income taxes for two or more years in that period, the report said.

www.reuters.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join