It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is meditation practical?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I have been wondering about meditation lately. I realize that some people meditate longer than other but is meditation really that constructive? I personally don't enjoy doing it, I get no feeling out of it other than maybe relaxing a little. I like to relax but it doesn't make me feel that good to make it a habit. For some they like to think of nothing, why? If the only way to relax is to forget your thoughts I think that is a form of anxiety? or a coping mechanism.

I don't know too much about meditation personally, so other than relaxing, how does meditation help you?

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
The mind is like a silver mirror. The reflection cast is the mind's perception of the world around it. Thoughts tarnish the mind like contact with the air tarnishes silver. When the surface of the mirror is tarnished, the world is no longer accurately reflected in the surface, resulting in a distorted image. When a person meditates, they are taking time to polish their mirror to keep their perceptions unhindered by repetitive and damning thoughts that arise from attachment and aversion to worldly happenings, allowing them to react to the reality of whatever their current situation is in the most effective and appropriate manner.

I hope this is helpful to you.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
When I meditate, I don't not think. I think but I stay conscious so I am able to look at my thoughts and see that they are not me. It has the subtle effect of allowing you to be less hypnotized by your thoughts as you go through your day, than you would be otherwise. We humans are very hypnotized by our thoughts. We take them as something real when all they are is thoughts. And to be able to see this, even just a little bit is very freeing.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Are you sure you're meditating? I always enjoy meditation.

edit on 30-7-2011 by Balkan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I got into meditation in a strange way
Relaxation and self hypnosis tapes and learned from there .
Hypnosis to make me a better salesman
It didnt work .

Got involved in Shirley Mc Clains Visualization meditations .

Now I focus on clearing my mind and relaxing
Be silent and know I am God..Shut up and let Him speak !

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 01:14 AM
link   
There are so many kind of meditations. Meditation itself is a way and a tool to enhance ourself.
Just like another tool, we use it to do something else and in the end to achieve what we want.

Understand it from the goal down to the method of meditation i think will help more to understand what it is for and how we want to do it. Learning it from the bottom to the top but understand and know it from the top to the bottom.

Regards.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   
"Is meditation practical?" Nope! Have you seen children meditating? NO! They are playing and having fun and so should adults! The only time human adults should be "zoning-out of their minds" is during sleep and that is enough. I don't know where people get this stuff and make it a ritual or something.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by pikypiky
"zoning-out of their minds"

Well, I wish I had started zoning out much earlier than I did. Meditation has many, many benefits. Science is finally starting to validate a lot of it. For me it's an integral part of my life, like exercising and eating right (or mostly right in my case). But I won't try to convince you.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
sure it's practical, it reduces stress. People go to the doctors, take pills, exercise all to reduce stress, so if something could reduce stress I would say it's practical, it's practical application is to ease stress. It won't completely get rid of it but it will help you cope with it.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Meditation has always helped me if I was successful. I used to get into a meditative state very easily, but now I can't seem to get there.

But anyway, when I was getting into that expansive mind state, afterwards, I would feel a peace like no other. In this peacefulness (the kind that passes understanding), I saw how my thoughts were hindering my abilities. Meditation helped me detach from my thoughts in such a way that they did not interfere with my life. That's true freedom. Also, meditation can lead to higher states of consciousness which is a definite plus.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ralphy
I have been wondering about meditation lately. I realize that some people meditate longer than other but is meditation really that constructive? I personally don't enjoy doing it, I get no feeling out of it other than maybe relaxing a little. I like to relax but it doesn't make me feel that good to make it a habit. For some they like to think of nothing, why? If the only way to relax is to forget your thoughts I think that is a form of anxiety? or a coping mechanism.

I don't know too much about meditation personally, so other than relaxing, how does meditation help you?

I wouldn't waste my time meditating by thinking nothing. You don't need to be in any special position.

Just lay down and think. Think and connect things together, take them apart, stretch them, etc . . .

Meditation is only good if you practice visualization. Being able to make what you visualize seem as real as possible is incredibly useful when applying it to the real world.

I use this type of meditation and find it priceless.

And never sell your soul ever. LoL a little off topic but just a friendly reminder.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by MasterGemini
Meditation is only good if you practice visualization. Being able to make what you visualize seem as real as possible is incredibly useful when applying it to the real world.

I was taught the gist of it when I took classical guitar lessons as a kid. It didn't take long to realize how powerfully it could be applied to other things in life. I think many people write it off as newage crap/The Secret, which is a terrible mistake!
edit on 31-7-2011 by Balkan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Balkan

Originally posted by MasterGemini

I was taught the gist of it when I took classical guitar lessons as a kid. It didn't take long to realize how powerfully it could be applied to other things in life. I think many people write it off as newage crap/The Secret, which is a terrible mistake!
edit on 31-7-2011 by Balkan because: (no reason given)

Dominic Cruz taught it to me before he moved to Cali. Now look at him dominating the WEC and UFC.

I promise that it works. We used to "meditate" two entire rounds before we would roll or spar.
Also Yoichi Tomita was my gymnastics coach and his coaches from Japan would make us sit there for two hours during summer camp visualizing doing our routines and tricks.

I am only throwing names out there to lend to the credibility of the things they taught me.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ralphy

What you are doing is either concentration or relaxation.
It is not Real Meditation.
Real Meditation is a complete shift in consciousness that is essentially permanent.
Its a trip that you never come down from so you have to really really want
to change your consciousness to enter that state.
When you do enter that state you are trading the Egos Happiness
for Love/Bliss/Fullness.
Life is seeking. When you get tired of the endless seeking of life
then REal Meditation is the alternative.
No, its not practical from the point of view of life as seeking.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Excellent question.

I think "to each his own" is, as it is in many fields, a good starting point in answering this question.

More specifically, it helps to have a goal. In my case, it has helped tremendously with insecurities and other neurotic problems that I had already seen were profoundly impacting my life and those in contact with me in a negative way.

So I have a goal. That goal is to figure out what the F is wrong with me and fix it. And yes, meditation has absolutely helped me to understand the emotional cause-and-effect going on in my life and even to correct some of it. In other words, yes it has been practical.

Others, like for example pikypiky and possibly yourself, may be in the privileged position of having had a happy-go-lucky childhood and having a productive adult life largely free of inner conflict, and have no need of a practice which they see as nonsense because it would in fact really serve them no purpose.

If you see others doing it and wonder what you're missing, that's definitely the wrong reason to start. If, on the other hand, you can conceive of possibly a very good reason to do it, then try it and it in fact works, then suddenly it becomes the most ingenious thing you've ever come across.

"Better is one's own dharma even if imperfect, than another's dharma followed perfectly." -The Bhagavad Gita

If it serves a purpose for you, then it's practical. If it doesn't, then it's nonsense. There's your bottom line.

edit on 31-7-2011 by NewlyAwakened because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Ralphy

I started meditating as a last resort to counter-act my inner ear problems (turned out it was high blood pressure that damaged one of my inner ears and I've sent 4 months vomiting and felling like dying every day
). During the course of meditation I've remembered (don't know really why, wasn't thinking of that) who I was a child and how far I've backtracked from that person.

It helped me become a person I wanted to be, but because of different auxialiary inputs during my growing-up stage, I've forgotten.

After a quite shocking awakening, I almost completely stopped eating meat and became a pacifist (whom I was a young kid).

Nowadays it's a perfect way dealing with stress and remembering what is really important in life
after a tiring day of dealing with even more stressed people

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Meditation can be anything. It all depends on the motivation and intent.

Sexual meditation is one of my favorites.

www.marieclaire.com...

Becoming totally involved in any activity is meditation.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
There will always be a light in each of us to remind us how unique the reality of life is, to able us to be wiser then the last generation...this is evolution of the soul of man as Teilhard De Chardin wrote.
Meditation is a process where by you try to still the mind. The thought process is very powerful and guided by the you which you think is you.
Now is it practical ?
Yes very much so, it help to see life in clear and true understanding of facts...someone has said this before.
To completely eradicate your thoughts is a very very very difficult thing to do, the state of Samadhi is a glimpse of your true self-being.
Meditation to be efficient has to be natural and enjoyable, if you force this process then you can be sure you running for disappointment.
Remember meditation is a tools not an end.
If this isn't working for you then never mind, be bold, be brave and spread understanding and love to the people that are less understanding then you.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Not sure about the answer on your question.
But the more angles I get on meditation, the more serious I concider trying it (not just as a onetime 10 minut seance).

Multiple treads/angles on meditation in the ATS-forums:

A Scientific research on meditation

Mystical or forbidden knowledge

Something in between?

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Ralphy

David Lynch is a famous film maker and he is advocating Transendental meditation because he says it has a massive effect, he has been doing it for many, many years.
Please take a look at what he has to say, here:
youtu.be...
Here is the full size version;
youtu.be...

Namaste.

new topics

top topics

join