It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Now America warns troops they might not be paid as debt stand-off threatens to plunge world economie

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Soldiers told their salaries are lower priority than interest payments to foreign bond-holders Renewed bi-partisan talks tonight as leaders make desperate last-minute stab at compromise

Found this interesting article today, it worries me that an army the size of the U.S.A's is not being paid as it will cause allot of problems for the people in the occupied countries, i can see soldiers turning to criminal acts just to be able to send money home to support there already struggling family's,
This whole debt thing is way out of control the system needs to be changed and not forcibly imposed on other sovereign nations, as it's clear that it is not designed for the public's best interest.

American soldiers in Afghanistan have been warned they may not be paid after President Obama failed in an 11th-hour attempt to reach a settlement over the U.S. deficit. In a crisis that has potentially devastating consequences for the world economy, the U.S. will run out of money to pay its bills next Wednesday unless squabbling Washington legislators raise the country's $14.3 trillion (£8.7tn) debt ceiling. Troops fighting in Afghanistan have been told that the Obama administration is expected to make their salaries a lower priority than interest payments to foreign bond-holders.

'I have confidence that at some point in time, whatever compensation you are owed, you will be given.'

Sounds promising, sucks if that's after your dead from waiting so long.

More than $1.2 trillion of America's vast debt is owned by China and another $328bn is owned by UK private investors and pension funds.

'No one believes this will really happen,' a City financial expert told The Mail on Sunday, 'so no one has thought through the consequences. Even if the U.S. continues to make interest payments to creditors, it will unnerve markets and probably lead to a lowering of its credit rating. 'That means the value of U.S. bonds held by banks will fall and they will have to raise more capital in order to meet their required asset levels and that in turn could force up interest rates, causing a recession.'

Q&A: WHY OBAMA'S CRISIS AFFECTS YOU
Q: When will the U.S. officially run out of money?
A: Wednesday.
Q: Why is it broke?
A: The U.S. government has reached its maximum debt level of $14.3 trillion.
Q: Why doesn't it raise the debt ceiling?
A: Because Tea Party militants have vetoed it.
Q: Why?
A: Because they want big spending cuts and refuse to back tax rises.
Q: What is the official Republican position?
A: Lift the debt limit in return for $1 trillion spending cuts.
Q: What is President Obama's position?
A: A bigger rise in the debt ceiling to avoid another crisis before the U.S. elections next year.
Q: What if the U.S. defaults?
A: It could suffer the humiliation of losing its triple A credit rating.
Q. What is a triple A rating?
A. The highest rate of credit worthiness a government can achieve.
Q. What happens if the U.S. loses it?
A. The government could have to pay more to borrow money.
Q: How will that affect ordinary Americans?
A: More firms will go bust, interest rates on credit cards and home loans will rise.
link

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
heres the prioirty list:

1 the congressmen salaries
2. the congressmen healthcare
3 the ilegals social security
4 the illegals welfare
5 the illegals medicare
6 the illegals medicaid
7, legal americans social security
8. legal americans medicare
9 legal americans medicaid
10 legal americans welfare
11 american troops pay those people who are fighting and dying for everyone else.

arent you just glad they got their priortites straight

edit on 30-7-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
SO who is going to tell a bunch of guys with guns and missiles and bombs they are not going to get paid?

NO ME!!!!!!!!!!

I remember when this happened to Russia. The solders started to sell their stuff to get paid. We will all have problems is AT-4's start showing up on eBay. Or maybe a M1A1 tank for sell.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Freedom_is_Slavery

Mitch McConnell said today that the United States is not going to default....so our Military should get paid. Here is the link...

newser.com...

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
So will the American Empire Finally Dismantle it's foreign bases like in this homefront video?

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I say all troops overseas, buy a one way ticket homr!

Really I wonder what the government would do if everyone went awol at the same time, lol

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
This is a horribly written article. Are they saying that only troops in Afghanistan will not be paid, or all troops? Since when did the media start labeling Tea Partiers "militants"?
Seems like they are trying their best to incite fear enough that a compromise is forced. I wonder who's going to blink first...

To be honest, I'm not fearful about this at all. I am very angry at this administration's attempt to scare people though. It's the lowest you can get, in my book... My 80 year old mother called in tears when they announced that social security could be stopped... You just don't do that to people, especially my mother. It's unforgivable and I won't forget it either. I wonder how many military spouses with kids are calling their families in tears. Don't they have enough to worry about as it is?

Way to go Commander in Chief.

edit on 30/7/2011 by Iamonlyhuman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman
My 80 year old mother called in tears when they announced that social security could be stopped... You just don't do that to people, especially my mother. It's unforgivable and I won't forget it either. I wonder how many military spouses with kids are calling their families in tears. Don't they have enough to worry about as it is?

Agree one MILLION PERCENT.

What I dont understand is how some of the Right wing-nuts and Tea baggers on here have THE NERVE to even suggest that they dont give a hoot if those on Social Security dont get their checks as well as soldiers not getting theirs.

These are services that were PAID for thru taxes on the American worker all their lives. As for the soldiers, they DESERVE their money as they paid for it by RISKING THEIR LIVES.

Tea Party BUMS. Conservative RATS!!!!!!

Thats what happens when parties are funded by the wealthy to do their bidding. Screw the American people and soldiers while catering to the wealthy who arent even paying their fair share in comparison to how much the little folks must pay.

BUMS and RATS!!!

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by pplrnuts
What I dont understand is how some of the Right wing-nuts and Tea baggers on here have THE NERVE to even suggest that they dont give a hoot if those on Social Security dont get their checks as well as soldiers not getting theirs.

In case you haven't noticed, it's not right wing nuts and tea baggers doing the inciting... it's Barack H. Obama.

I'm not saying conservatives are innocent, far from it. I am, however, saying that Obama's comments are totally irresponsible and inflammatory - all for perceived political gain... That's not leadership, it's tyrannical.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Freedom_is_Slavery

How disgusting. If I was still serving in the USN and I was told this I'd AWOL

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I was looking around as I do from day to day and found this thread on ATS....if this is true....no wonder....we are in trouble....It says that the Obama administration has committed to giving $4 billion dollars to various funds.

Here is the link..

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

Yeah i would be thinking about it to, most likely i would stay as i would have signed up for a job and would want to see it finished but i would also try and work the system and make some cash, who knows the US might be flooded with cheap afghan opium, I imagine it would become quite easy to bribe people who are not getting paid

reply to post by caladonea

Don't know if it will happen this time but sooner or later, you cant just keep putting something like this off, the more you borrow the worse off you will be further down the track.
If the US can barely make the payments now without causing harm to there citizens well-being how the hell is borrowing another couple of trillion and increasing interest payments going to help anyone?

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I said this a few months ago when they said the military wasnt going to be paid. They have all the training, the numbers, the guns, the ammo, its the worst mistake they could make. I love the American idea, and I would love to oust these people who are destroying it. They think they are keeping it alive, but they are a cancer. And with the Military, I know our Officers will say " Its okay, it will work out, just have to wait it out" But after a pay period or two, the military willl come together on the issue, and march towards DC.
edit on 30-7-2011 by DrakeDarc because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
The debt ceiling will be raised ! This is a 100% given. In the long run it is a bad concept. " Don't Worry be Happy " When the debt ceiling is raised, please feel free to return and star my not so insightful but accurate comment.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   
When you overspend and can't pay your bills you default on your agreements. Then your credit rating goes down and you are forced to pay higher intrest rates. So Washington, or whoever spends all the taxpayer money didn't trim back a little as the income decreased, as we are taught in economics class to do (in school that is). Sounds to me that it is only fair to default on the loans or whatever and have a lower credit rating. Financial irresponsibility has consequences. Just because we are a powerful country doesn't mean we can spend, spend, spend and never cut back when times are tight. Thats what they should have started doing in 2008, 9 or 10. This situation we are in now is idiotic. They shouldn't have let us het to this point to begin with. I'm guessing that all this talk of who may not get paid is just a bunch of BS anyway. They are gonna miraculously have come to an agreement at the last possible minute and everyone will cheer them and say how great and smart they all really are and blah, blah, blah. Just another load of crap they must constantly fill us with.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Can someone honestly explain how the USA is in this much debt?
There lies the conspiracy of the age.
But I doubt anyone will bother.
Thats how they always get away with it,Aliens, UFOs, Greys.
Meanwhile crooks have accumulated nillions of dollars and are buying up cities in China to make squillions more.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by starwarsisreal
So will the American Empire Finally Dismantle it's foreign bases like in this homefront video?

www.youtube.com...

You mean the Jewish Empire. America was never an empire.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Expired
Can someone honestly explain how the USA is in this much debt?
There lies the conspiracy of the age.
But I doubt anyone will bother.
Thats how they always get away with it,Aliens, UFOs, Greys.
Meanwhile crooks have accumulated nillions of dollars and are buying up cities in China to make squillions more.

Jewish bankers realized that by faking 9/11 they could make white Gentile Christians fight the Muslims around Israel in order to protect Israel from them, while also putting our country into debt to the (The Federal Reserve) by not raising taxes to the rich (who are also mostly Jews).

But hey, no one wants to say it basically like that for fear of being called anti-semetic.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Good. Cut their pay as far as I'm concerned.

People occupying another nation based on lies while subjecting the natives to the will of soul-less oligarchs.. deserve zero compensation.

On the other hand, the few out there actually protecting US soil / citizens should be paid.

Personally.. I'm cheering for the oligarchs and their gop/dnc lackeys to fail, I want to see whole corrupt war mongering cesspool screw up so bad.. that ghetto elk & pitch fork wielding grannys unite... and chase those responsible down down main street on cnn. I'd also like to see every deployed troop bitch slapped awake to the reality they should have gone AWOL for moral reasons a looooong time ago.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
my priority pay list

1.public workors salaries (minus politicians , let the lobyists pay them , they already do.)
2.american troops (immediately stop all hostillities in Libya and shut down half of america's bases)
3.legal americans social security
4.legal americans medicare
5.legal americans welfare

Illegal whatnow , FAIL , next (notice the word illegal) But for immagrant workors , assylum seekers and visitors(3 month stay max) to the country who fall ill or into an accident there should be special provisions.

Things i'd do to restore the economy before they assassinated me,
1.Dismantle the fed.Let the U.S Treasury issue legal tender backed by gold , silver or oil , not by imaginary electronic digits. Hunt down and punish everyone who was responsible for this with extreme predjudice.
2.Dismantle I.R.S and end income tax (paying to work?FAIL)
3.Close our borders. Illegals and liberals who love them would hate my guts.
4.End NAFTA.
5.Reinstate the Glasse-Steigal Act.
6.Raise taxes on the rich to 60%. They'ed hate me too , but figures show that when they're duly taxed the economy does well.
7.Repay the Debt.
8.Criminalise outsourcing to foreign nations with below standard labour laws.
9.Admit we are in a trade war with china and start fighting back , America can do it and we can say we did it without sweatshop labour.
10.Stop borrowing and hunker down and repay the debt and bring back manufacturing , America used to make some pretty good quality stuff and we can do it again.
11.Repeal some of the red tape small businesses face when starting out.
12.Dismantle half our oversees bases where we're not needed and bring home some of our boys and gals.
13.Almost forgot (guess you can call it my unholy plan) , purge the government and military of lobbyists , speccial , interest groops and fifth columns

Xul-it is finished!

new topics

top topics

join