It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Cannibalistic Ice Giants of Mount Mansfield!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Hey there, ATS.

From where I sit typing, I can look out the window at Mount Mansfield.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4bbb3a544e53.jpg[/atsimg]

That is what it looks like, more or less.

My buddy, who is St. Francis Abenaki, just told me about the ice giants who live up there. They're called the cici awas, which means "great beast".

The awas are described as massive, hairless bear-men; they walked upright and grouped in packs. They're reputed to have a keen taste for long pig, and were blamed for the regular disappearances of entire hunting parties who ventured onto the mountain.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/139019cb5ef5.jpg[/atsimg]
"Dude, we could've just gone fishing, but NOOOOooooo. You wanted to hunt on Mt. Mansfield. Asshat."

Later-day oral tradition is responsible for the following account.

In the early 70's, a family went on a camping trip up Mt. Mansfield. After assembling a lean-to in the late evening, they observed two men coming down the mountain. The father called to the men, encouraging them to take shelter before the dark set in.

The men didn't acknowledge him in any way, and were soon lost to sight.

The family was awakened by bustling activity around their encampment. They were greeted by a law-enforcement official who questioned them about a plane crash that had taken place scarcely a quarter of a mile up the mountain from their camp.

The father expressed astonishment when he was told that the crash had taken place before dark, but well after they had settled in for the evening. It seemed impossible that they shouldn't have heard anything. He told the officer about the two strange men they had seen around the time of the plane crash.

The site of the crash was soaked in blood, but even after a thorough search of the entire mountain, no remains were ever found.

In a last ditch attempt to squeeze any clues from the crash site, a small investigative team was sent up.

And never came back.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7c5cff63a5fe.jpg[/atsimg]
After another exhaustive search, a great deal more blood was found in an area a short distance from the site; as well as a few articles of clothing and personal belongings which were identified as having belonged to members of that ill-fated party. To this day, people still go missing without a trace from Mt. Mansfield.

I did some subsequent research and found this version which gives the date as being 1973.

And then I found this picture of a plane that crashed on nearby Mt. Abe in 1973.

So maybe it wasn't cannibalistic ice giants.

I'm still not going up Mt. Mansfield alone ever again.

edit on 30-7-2011 by mistermonculous because: floop

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
i wouldent like to be there no chance lol

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Time to go hunting I would say LOL!

"If it bleeds, we can kill it!"

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   

"If it bleeds, we can kill it!"

I'm pretty sure that's the awas' line.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Interesting story. I grew up in VT, lived in Danby for 8 yrs.
We used to see Red Orbs of light in an above the trees at night and I had quite a few strange experiences while growing up out there and because of them, VT still seems very mysterious but much like Home to me.
If i still lived there. I'd be scouring that mountain! Chances are there are no Giants but i bet there's quite a bit still hidden in the woods up there.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by mistermonculous

Ok now that is scary stuff.. Great story OP S & F This is Just Fascination and Horror mixed into one.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Numb2itall

We used to see Red Orbs of light in an above the trees at night and I had quite a few strange experiences while growing up out there and because of them, VT still seems very mysterious but much like Home to me.

Right on, this one's for you dude.

www.paranormal-hunters.com...

I'd love to see more Vermonters talk about all the Weird in our state.

Anybody ever been to the Bennington Triangle?
edit on 30-7-2011 by mistermonculous because: stuff.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Just for kicks, here's some entries from the NUFORC state index report for VT: :

Date / Time City State Shape Duration Summary Posted
7/7/11 05:30 Milton VT Unknown 1 Minute An irrational noise in the middle of the night.

11/17/09 18:15 Caledonia County VT Sphere few minutes 2 golden yellow orbs in northeastern VT above road

This made me giggle:

7/9/09 22:30 Colchester VT Triangle About 6 seconds Alright, me and my friend were driving down the road, and i saw it in the sky, at first I didnt think any of it because we live sorta in Colchester gunshots are not uncommon

It's funny because it's true.

6/11/05 23:22 Northeast Kingdom VT Flash 12 - 15 mins Saturday, 6/11/05- 23:22 Blue bubble-like spheres falling from the sky.

On Sat . 6/11/05 I woke up at about 11:10 p.m. I had gone

2/15/01 20:05 Pownal VT Light approx 60 secs Large dark helicopter at treetop level follows orange light thru rural community.

All this, and a whole bunch of red orb sightings.
edit on 30-7-2011 by mistermonculous because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Interesting, it reminds me of a movie I saw on sci-fi channel a while back. I think it was called ice yeti, or maybe snow yeti. It was about a group of high-school or college kids in a plane crash who begin to be attacked by a bigfoot creature. It would steal the bodies of the deceased of the plane crash and kill those by themselves.

It always nice to find the inspiration behind weird movies like this one.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by mistermonculous

Thank you for the story, Mistermonculous. I have always wished to live in an area that has it's own evil mountain. I have been interested in places like this since I saw Close Encounters, as a child, which featured Devil's Tower in Wyoming.

I am wondering if there is any chance that this place may have had another name before colonialists renamed it. That is often the case when it comes to places like this throughout America. The colonialists arrived and the natives would tell them, "Hey, don't go in there or into that part of the woods because bad s%!t lives in there and it will get you, that'ts why we call it (insert scary name)".
And you know how those Christians get, tell them it is dangerous and of the Devil and they turn around and name it something like 'Christmount'. Until something bad happens.

Or how about Brown Mountain in North Carolina...

Yep. There it is. That's Witch Mountain. Brown Mountain North Carolina is also home to the 'Brown Mountain Lights'...

That is a poor quality image but a beautiful representation of the shape of witch mountain; it is long, low and flat.

And now we have Mount Mansfield.

First of all it is down right scary that the Abenaki report that these things hunt in organized packs. Second of all; these things sound like descriptions of the Wendigo...

en.wikipedia.org...

But I have never heard reports of them having great big heads and the tales don't report them as hunting in packs. The Abenaki cannibals are definitely scarier.

I also wanted to add this link about Wendigo Sickness...

cogitz.com...

Worth the read and I don't think it is the answer; simply food for thought (get it? cannibals? food for thought?)

So that's all I got at the moment. I am going to dig in a little and see about the name of the place.

Thanks again, MM.

edit on 31-7-2011 by Frater210 because: Ia!

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
And so it begins...

From a little Stowe newspaper published on August 17, 1858: one version of a legend on Mansfield’s formation:

A giant from the far off south many years ago was walking northward on an exploratory journey, when he arrived in the Stowe area. At this point "being fatigued with his journey, as night came on he laid him down to sleep, and unfortunately, he has never since awoke, but like the giant Rip Van Winkle sleeps on."

greenmountainclub.org...

Uh, huh. Sounds harmless enough. This is going to go totally x-files. Just watch.
edit on 31-7-2011 by Frater210 because: en-source-el-ment.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
OK.

Mooses could be considered terrifying...

The mountain was called, "Moze-o-de-be-wadso" by the Abenaki which meant, 'Mountain-with-a-head-like-a-moose'

www.docstoc.com...

Best I came up with so far. If you read that link it suggests that native American legend tells that this mountain is where 'Indians' would go to meet their maker 'when they knew it was their time to go'.
edit on 31-7-2011 by Frater210 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Oh, by the way...

That region is considered to be the remnants of what was once Tundra.
It went all the way up to Canada.

So if anyone is wondering about the 'Ice Giants' hook; it jibes because there is still 250 acres of Tundra on top of Mount Mansfield, at the area known a,s 'the camel's hump'.

And that forest is full of hemlock. Witches!
edit on 31-7-2011 by Frater210 because: Ia!

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Ok. I have done a little reading on the geography of the region and how it got to be the way it is.

Mount Mansfield is the highest mountain in Vermont. They were once encased in glaciers and as the glaciers receded they exposed the mountains and valleys. So that is why there is still frozen Tundra on the top of Mount Mansfield.

It is believed that the glaciers receded 13,000 years ago and settlements have been found that date to 11,000 years.

Could it be possible that, whatever these beasties are, they were chased up to the highest parts of the highest mountains to stay cold as the glaciers pulled back? And that by the time that human settlements were forming these things already were living high up in the mountains?

Maybe there were a lot of them because they were the apex predators in the area but were dwindling due to climate change, with still enough individuals left to form hunting parties; to hunt the new hairless, easy food that had come down from the North.
edit on 31-7-2011 by Frater210 because: could be.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Best I came up with so far. If you read that link it suggests that native American legend tells that this mountain is where 'Indians' would go to meet their maker 'when they knew it was their time to go'.
edit on 31-7-2011 by Frater210 because: (no reason given)

Funny you should mention that.

My friend also told me about this tradition, and related the story of a elderly chief who made the The Last Trek up Mt. Mansfield in the dead of winter. It was balls-cold, and he didn't quite make the summit.

So the summit came to him. (He'd been that great a guy in life).

The granite rose from where he had passed and bore him up closer to the sky.

And now there's a rocky outcropping shaped vaguely like a reclining old dude.

She also made a hilarious joke about when the time came to schlep her eld self up the mountain, she pictured herself expiring in the midst of day-trippers from Jersey. "Ew, did she just die? I told you we should have gone kayaking."
edit on 1-8-2011 by mistermonculous because: floobity.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Could it be possible that, whatever these beasties are, they were chased up to the highest parts of the highest mountains to stay cold as the glaciers pulled back? And that by the time that human settlements were forming these things already were living high up in the mountains?

Maybe there were a lot of them because they were the apex predators in the area but were dwindling due to climate change, with still enough individuals left to form hunting parties; to hunt the new hairless, easy food that had come down from the North.
edit on 31-7-2011 by Frater210 because: could be.

Who knows what strange, tusk-toothed, lumbering bi-peds may have been spawned in the Ice Age genetic pressure-cooker?

Sapiens sapiens getting freaky with neanderthals ain't the half of it, I'll bet.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Wow this is a cool thread I love finding out about stuff I havn't heard of defiantely gonna follow closely

top topics

join