It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Proving that CW Leonis is moving toward to our solar system over 30 years

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Thx i forgot about that one! I remember it now that you mention it... That one is very important too because it would probably dictate the speed of our solar system relative to the rest of our galaxy.

And our Solar System may be moving at a faster rate.! Relative to the Galaxy! Or parts of it.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Our solar system oscillates up and down it's orbital plain around the galaxy. That would be where the only speed discrepancy would come from relative our galactic neighborhood. Because rotational speed in the Milky Way is governed by how far away from the center you are. If we keep up with the hood, going up and down too, then we must be traveling a bit further distance in the same amount of time.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by KSpreparedUnless someone has a better explanation as to why we are using smaller and smaller parsecs for distance when researching CW Leonis, I would have to say it is moving closer to our solar system by as much as 190 parsecs between 1968 and today. Unless it has stopped, it could be even closer.

It's called better measurements today than in the 60's. That makes a LOT more sense than claiming it's traveling towards us many times the speed of light.
edit on 30-7-2011 by ngchunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 02:35 AM
link   
I see that our solar system is moving towards Leo at a speed of about 872405 MPH. Maybe we're moving towards each other. www.scientificamerican.com...

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by justasayin
I see that our solar system is moving towards Leo at a speed of about 872405 MPH. Maybe we're moving towards each other. www.scientificamerican.com...

CW Leonis has a radial velocity with respect to the sun of −18.6 km/s (Ladjal, et al 2010 Astronomy&Astrophysics - yes you need journal access to get it or you need to pay for it - yes I have journal access - no I'm not going to give you an illegal copy of the journal and break copyright law - this is directed to no one in particular, but before you ask... the answer is no) . Given a distance of about 135 parsecs, even if CW Leonis were on a collision course (it's not) with our solar system, it would take over 7 million years to get here.
edit on 7-2-2012 by ngchunter because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-2-2012 by ngchunter because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join