It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Inuit Knowledge and Climate Change

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
So I see a LOT of people posting a youtube video about 'the inuit' in which a handful of Inuit 'Elders' are interviewed about their experiences of seeing the sun in an allegedly different place than it should be.

video in question:

Now, this teeny, tiny clip is taken from a movie called Inuit Knowledge and Climate Change

available for viewing HERE with more context:

and available here in full form:

www.isuma.tv...

This new documentary, the world’s first Inuktitut language film on the topic, takes the viewer “on the land” with elders and hunters to explore the social and ecological impacts of a warming Arctic. This unforgettable film helps us to appreciate Inuit culture and expertise regarding environmental change and indigenous ways of adapting to it.

My two contentions with this approach are:

1- It is an inaccurate representation of the actual findings of the documentary meant to make people ignore the substance of the debate about climate change.

2- As anyone who has done any work with any 'native' folks in N. America will tell you, one of the most annoying things to experience is white people holding up a handful of reports from 'natives' and pretending that they speak for the entire culture. "The Inuit" do not believe these things. A small handful of 'elders' are being held up as holding the majority opinion for all "Inuit". This is, of course, an absurd claim, and one tinged with racism. Yep, I said it. It is RACIST to pretend that these "Inuit" hold some magical powers that allow them intuitive knowledge about the environment that isnt held by people in other cultures In addition, it is racist to pretend that the opinions of a handful of olde people represent the whole.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
You may have added additional information, with the 2nd video, but I don't know.

So, an FYI - There was a very popular, long thread about the first video, that started a few weeks ago.

A WARNING from Inuit People: Sun Wrong, Stars Wrong, Earth Tilting On Axis!

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles
You may have added additional information, with the 2nd video, but I don't know.

So, an FYI - There was a very popular, long thread about the first video, that started a few weeks ago.

A WARNING from Inuit People: Sun Wrong, Stars Wrong, Earth Tilting On Axis!

I am aware there have been SEVERAL threads started on the subject, most of them intentionally taking the information WAY out of context. Since such information often gets preference on this website because of the appeal of such SENSATIONAL claim, I thought I would counter with a thread that offers the proper context of the information the thread you are referencing intentional takes OUT of CONTEXT.

The thread title that you link to alone is great evidence of the sort of moronic and wildly inaccurate claims made by many here who are choosing to IGNORE that the actual movie is about climate change, not the earth tilting on it's axis, as some in the scientifically illiterate crowd prefer to claim.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by incrediblelousminds

if I hear one more time the sun has moved argh the sun is exactly where it was left now come on folks don't you think it is more likely that the earth shifted on it's axis as was acknowledge by nasa after the two large earthquakes come on use some logic I agree it may seem like the sun has moved but it is the earth that has shifted slighty and I agree the sun is rising and setting in differing positions to what it used to I no longer have to close the curtain at teatime to watch tv as I used to but thanks for posting second video

my mistake yes the climate is different in uk and our summer is more like late autumn should read title my appologies
edit on 30-7-2011 by bauldrick because: no reason

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by bauldrick
don't you think it is more likely that the earth shifted on it's axis as was acknowledge by nasa after the two large earthquakes

No, I do not think that the claims made in the movie I reference have anything to do with the minimal shift in the axis in the earth from the japansese quake, especially since the movie was made well before the japansese quake.

I agree the sun is rising and setting in differing positions to what it used to I no longer have to close the curtain at teatime to watch tv

Compared to when? Last winter?

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Here's what the movie maker says about it. (Posted and buried in the original thread)

Not only have we solved the mystery of why Inuit believe the earth appears to have tilted, but in doing so, we have also discovered that Inuit have techniques for adapting to a changing visual world. When things appear strange, a new technique is required. Fortunately, Inuit are telling us that they have the skills and knowledge to adapt to climate change, and despite the challenges it presents, like any good hunter, they will be prepared.

www.isuma.tv...

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Maybe I should change the thread title to "Giant Lizard People are lying to you about what 'the inuit' believe to suit their own political agendas'.

Then it will get attention on ATS, where mistruth and hysteria get clear favor over reason and logic.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by DerepentLEstranger

It is also RACIST to pretend that "westerners" hold a monopoly on knowledge and reasoning that allows them intuitive knowledge about the environment that isnt held by people in other cultures

Luckily, I am not making that claim.

Although the people who are taking a tiny piece of a documentary and saying the opinions expressed in it are representative of of how 'the Inuit" feel arguably are.
edit on 30-7-2011 by incrediblelousminds because: grammer

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   
im sure these native people do hold some knowledge in the world and especially the nature..

but knowing more about the earth and space than our current civilization is a bit of a stretch. we have sent probes, spacecratf, have amazing telescopes all studying space.. and even we still do not have all the answers.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by incrediblelousminds

I am aware there have been SEVERAL threads started on the subject,....
.....I thought I would counter with a thread that offers the proper context of the information the thread you are referencing intentional takes OUT of CONTEXT.

It should have been painfully obvious, that I was actually attempting to help you out, because this has all been posted before. I had not realized that the thread I linked, was 23 pages of everyone in agreement with each other and with the OP.

Judging by your post count, you are not an 'ATS noob.' By now, you should have realized that most duplicate threads, end up either being ignored or closed. If what you claim is true, about this being a counter-thread, then you should have mentioned that in your OP. If you had done that, you might have received attention. Obviously, this method did not turn out to be very productive.

SEVERAL ... WAY.....SENSATIONAL .... OUT ....CONTEXT......IGNORE.......
Sensationalism.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles
Obviously, this method did not turn out to be very productive.

Because I dont have a sensational headline or come to a moronic, scientifically illiterate conclusion about poles flipping. Perhaps I should have thrown in a zOMG.

But thanks so much for your 'help'. I have visited that thread, full of nonsense and idiocy. I prefer to try and inform, not get lost in a sea of willful ignorance.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Maybe I should change the thread title to "Giant Lizard People are lying to you about what 'the inuit' believe to suit their own political agendas'.

Then it will get attention on ATS, where mistruth and hysteria get clear favor over reason and logic.

Is that what you want? Attention for your logic? Seems hardly worth the effort if you can just Trust your own judgment over others.

The situation is far more complicated than just a shift here or a shift there. The Earth itself is bulging and it is moving about without us being aware of it. The Lens-effect we call the sky is the beginning to share these changes yet the Sun is rising correctly and setting correctly; it is quite similar to those who have misshaped corneas to see the world differently, now perhaps all the sighted will notice!

I think the OP is clearly demonstrating our classic Societal indoctrination of dismissing the Elder! It is one of the reasons why Society is failing; our Elders are our Teachers, but we discredit their skills and knowledge as if they were just "old people" who should not be the voice of the people! Sad world we live in today, we have forgotten our Elders and we have forgotten the Spirits of the Ancestors who reside within us all!

Sorry, no S&F, but I did type something so that should make the OP feel better I suppose!

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Greensage

Is that what you want? Attention for your logic?

No, I was attempting to give THE TRUTH the amount of attention that willful misrepresentation of the truth gets. Obviously that was not sexy enough for ATS, where willfull and obvious sensationalism gets priority over boring facts. Especially when those boring facts point to climate change, topic which is very obviously suppressed on this wingnut far right shill of a forum.

I think the OP is clearly demonstrating our classic Societal indoctrination of dismissing the Elder!

No, ACTUALLY, I wasn't disrespecting the 'elder' by taking their words WAY out of context and pretending they represent the opinions of an entire people. I would suggest you familiarize yourself with the info available in my OP. It is quite obvious you are still clinging to the notion furthered by the more sensational claims about how 'all the Inuit" feel.

edit on 31-7-2011 by incrediblelousminds because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-7-2011 by incrediblelousminds because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Because I dont have a sensational headline or come to a moronic, scientifically illiterate conclusion about poles flipping. Perhaps I should have thrown in a zOMG.
You can keep on believing that, if it makes you feel better, but that may not be the entire reason. Part of the reason could be your attitude problem. You have replied directly to me twice. Each of those replies, contains an unnecessary attitude.

I have visited that thread, full of nonsense and idiocy. I prefer to try and inform, not get lost in a sea of willful ignorance.

You also seem to be continually implying that I personally have something to do with spreading this moronic, scientifically illiterate, nonsense, idiocy, and ignorance that you are speaking of. Alas, I have not.

It might be easier to get others to take you seriously, and actually pay attention to the so-called truths, that you claim to be spreading, if you would stop being a prick.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

I notice you have yet to offer one single comment that actually relates to the information I have taken the time to present in my OP. But I appreciate you calling me names. Have a good day!

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   

I notice you have yet to offer one single comment that actually relates to the information I have taken the time to present in my OP.

Obviously accurate.

I will openly admit that I have not read any of your OP, nor will I. I have already stated why. I was trying to be helpful. You responded to that with attitude.

As previously stated- You will have better luck getting people to pay attention to you, and listen to what you have to say, if you lose that attitude. Better luck next time.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

You say in one post "If what you claim is true, about this being a counter-thread, then you should have mentioned that in your OP. If you had done that, you might have received attention."

Then later say, "I will openly admit that I have not read any of your OP, nor will I. I have already stated why. I was trying to be helpful."

So did you read it or not?

You're either lying or wasting our time posting in a thread you didn't even read...

edit on 31-7-2011 by umop apisdn because: none

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by umop apisdn
You say in one post "If what you claim is true, about this being a counter-thread, then you should have mentioned that in your OP. If you had done that, you might have received attention."

Then later say, "I will openly admit that I have not read any of your OP, nor will I. I have already stated why. I was trying to be helpful."

So did you read it or not?

The answer to your question, can easily be found within the comments of mine that you have quoted. I could not have stated it any clearer.

Originally posted by umop apisdn

You're either lying or wasting our time posting in a thread you didn't even read...

Those are the only 2 possibilities?
Neither of those choices is correct.
I'm gonna have to go with 'Option C.'

Option C: 'umop apisdn' quickly scanned over the page, reading some parts, while completely ignoring other statements that have been made.

.......I thought I would counter with a thread that.......

Located here.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Let's keep it civil, please.

The discourse here is turning into UN-civil discourse. Please address the topic on hand, don't cause topic drift, and be courteous even when you disagree.

(short version -- "If you can't say something nicely, don't say anything at all.")

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join