It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former NASA Astronaut Dr.Bian O'Leary Died July 29th

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Former NASA Astronaught Dr.Bian O'Leary Died July 29th

projectcamelotproductions.com

Dr.Brian O'Leary, Camelot witness, former Mars Program astronaut and free energy activist and author died today after being diagnosed with stomach cancer.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
en.wikipedia.org
edit on 30-7-2011 by tonyinawareness because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I can't believe I didnt see anything on ATS about this as Dr.Brian O'Leary really had an impact on our community. I have taken some excerpts from wiki for btter insight on who this man was and why I think he was pretty cool.

Brian Todd O'Leary (born January 27, 1940) is an American scientist, author, and former NASA astronaut. He was a member of the sixth group of astronauts selected by NASA in August 1967. The members of this group of eleven were known as the scientist-astronauts, intended to train for the Apollo Applications Program - a follow-on to the Apollo Program, which was ultimately canceled. He is currently an advocate of utilizing exotic energy sources to resolve humanity’s energy problems.

His Astronaut career:
While attending graduate school in astronomy at the University of California, Berkeley, O’Leary published several scientific papers on the Martian atmosphere.[2] O’Leary’s Ph.D. thesis in 1967 was on the Martian surface.[3] Soon after completing his Ph.D. thesis, O'Leary was the first astronaut specifically selected for a potential manned Mars mission when it was still in NASA's program plan projected for the 1980s as a follow-on to the Apollo lunar program.[4] O’Leary was the only planetary scientist-astronaut in NASA’s astronaut corps during the Apollo program.[5] O’Leary resigned from the astronaut program in April 1968, and cited several reasons for resigning in his The Making of an Ex-Astronaut, which included the cancellation of the Mars program in early 1968.

His thought on the moon landing controversy:
O'Leary once stated that it was "remotely" possible some footage from the Apollo moon missions could have been created in a studio environment to avoid embarrassment on NASA's part. This started a controversy over O' Leary's beliefs whether the moon landings were real or not. In March 2001, O'Leary later appeared briefly in Fox TV's "Conspiracy Theory: Did We Land on the Moon," stating that "I can't say for sure 100%, whether these men walked on the moon. It is possible that NASA could have covered it up, just in order to cut corners, and to be the first to allegedly go to the moon." This has been a question of many hoax advocates for years but O' Leary remains quiet about the Moon program and has "no interest" in rejoining the debate.

projectcamelotproductions.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

His ideas on free energy were also very cool this guy lived an awesome life from what I can gather.
edit on 30-7-2011 by tonyinawareness because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Psst...
Hey you
yeah you in the tank:

You spelled astronaut wrong.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

thanks

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   

NASA EXPERIENCE: O’Leary was selected as a scientist-astronaut by NASA in August 1967. After completing a Ph.D. thesis on the physical properties of the Martian surface, O'Leary was specifically selected for a potential manned Mars mission when it was still in NASA's program plan. When that program was cancelled in 1968, he resigned from the astronaut program because of lack of prospects for a space flight.

www11.jsc.nasa.gov...

Short career as an astronaut. Seems he saddled the wrong horse and lost interest.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

NASA EXPERIENCE: O’Leary was selected as a scientist-astronaut by NASA in August 1967. After completing a Ph.D. thesis on the physical properties of the Martian surface, O'Leary was specifically selected for a potential manned Mars mission when it was still in NASA's program plan. When that program was cancelled in 1968, he resigned from the astronaut program because of lack of prospects for a space flight.

www11.jsc.nasa.gov...

Short career as an astronaut. Seems he saddled the wrong horse and lost interest.

Yeah it makes me wonder if he found Nasa to be difficult work with and with speculation I suppose it went against his pursuit of knowledge or the betterment of the people of earth.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by tonyinawareness

Did he ever see a UFO while in space?Talk about it?

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Homedawg

He was never in space.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Then calling him an "astronaut" is misleading...he was an astronaut in training waiting foi his first mission....if he didnt see anything hidden then he prob just had a smoked meat and BBQ habit

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Uh yeah other than what OP posted, I cannot find anything saying he died??

en.wikipedia.org...

www.brianoleary.info...

Nothing on Google search

I call Hoax

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Not a hoax IMO. I've received this e-mail from him:

---------------------------------------------------

Dear friends and colleagues,

Because of an urgent health issue, I must take a necessary break from
responding to emails. If this is personally important or concerns
making a reservation at Montesueños, we'll be open in mid-August and
you can call Virginia Igonda at (09) 762-4996. Thanks

Brian O'L

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by koperniguz

Yes he's sick, but may not be dead , this is how rumors and hoaxes start.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nobama
reply to post by koperniguz

Yes he's sick, but may not be dead , this is how rumors and hoaxes start.

projectavalon.net...

And from Steve Bassett's PRG site:
PRG regrets terribly the loss of Astronaut Dr. Brian O'Leary.

(1940-2011)

He was a visionary and truth advocate whose support for the Disclosure movement will be greatly missed.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Homedawg

So you would deny Roger Chaffee the designation of astronaut as well?

edit on 7/30/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
If you go through the astronaut program (training), you'lle be classified as an astronaut, even if you have not visited in space. Correct if im wrong.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

www11.jsc.nasa.gov...

You might review his works looking for answers to why he quit NASA if not more hints to his passing. His book "Mars 1999" elaborates his strong interest in using Phobos as a base of operations rather than a full assault on the surface of the planet. I give you a one-line quote from that book: "The scientific community knows that the two Mars' moons, Phobos and Deimos, are more accessible to Earth more often than any other natural objects in the solar system."

I'm under the assumption that he knew far more than what he proposed and speculated about Phobos. Under something like his plan, a mission to Mars based on Phobos could have already been done. We may suspect, as our returning to the Moon for some reason is hidden by the TPTB, we also can not send humans to even Phobos. And we can wonder, if we can be allowed to send humans to Mars itself. In other words, perhaps the quarantine is more extensive than we thought?

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

Buzz Aldrin and others agree that Phobos would be the best bet for the preliminary exploration of Mars. A great viewing platform, easy access, and no nasty weather to deal with.
buzzaldrin.com...

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Brian was a sweet man and was indeed both charming, and a competent scientist in his originally chosen field, which he left decades ago. He also misrepresented his brief NASA association to piggyback off the reputations or real astronauts so as to promote his own far-out views that included suggesting -- without verifiable specifics -- that some astronauts were involved in deceptive coverups of UFO experiences in space. The facts were that he washed out of his training, was considered by head astronaut Deke Slayton 'the worst mistake [he]] ever made', and would never have wound up assigned to any space mission had he stayed. I suspect the praises subsequent to his regrettable and justifiably mourned passing are more involved with promoting the ideas he championed than in remembering and honoring the human being behind them. For those who would use his coffin as a soap box, shame. For those who loved the man and mourn with his family, heartfelt sympathies.

www.amazon.com...=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1312335523&sr=1-6

a single customer review....
Fascinating account of disenchantment with 1960s NASA, April 29, 2005
This book is all the more interesting for how it and the author have been treated since its publication in 1970. O'Leary clearly never fitted in within NASA, and was quick to depart. Since publication, many other astro bios have discredited O'Leary for being almost an unworthy addition to their brethren, and the likes of Deke Slayton and Kraft have all but said that O'Leary "slipped through the cracks" in the astronaut selection process, and should never have been appointed an astronaut in the first place.

top topics

join