It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Captain America"..........a review

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
And yet another formula film from Marvel.
However this one had an interesting concept, characters that you might care about and enough CGI to satisfy even the most jaded adolescent. Designed for the escapist/fantasy market and delivered. Good direction, production, fair script, Good acting, great sound track and foley and just the right setup for a few sequels. Marvel has the best editors in the business.

Marvel really knows how to market and distribute their films.

imo "Captain America" was much better than "Thor" even though whaaa was an extra in Thor. Marvel is a great company to work for, great craft services, transpo, prompt payment, very cute PAs that treat the background extras and drivers with courtesy and respect and always a steady supply of water and sunscreen; absolute necessities when working in the NM desert for 14 hours.
edit on 30-7-2011 by whaaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
What a strange review...

A paragraph about the film and then about the company

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by roughycannon
What a strange review...

A paragraph about the film and then about the company

I would welcome someone, anyone to join me in reviewing the current films they go and see.
If it is strange to you....write your own.

edit on 30-7-2011 by whaaa because: (no reason given)

link   
I read somewhere that they had to drop "Captain America" from the title.. And simply call it "The first avenger" in Russia, and south Korea..

Source.

I have not seen it yet, But have heard great things about it.. Anything has to be better then the classic "79" campy flick..

link   
reply to post by roughycannon

You don't research how nice a company is to work for before seeing a movie they made?

People today.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
It was OK. I found it a bit politically correct and weak to separate Hydra from the Nazis as much as they did. I guess you need to prepare for an international market these days, but it IS supposed to be Captain AMERICA after all. I like the indirect references to Thor which actually works because many in the Nazi leadership were obsessed with Teutonic and Norse mythology.
At the end of the day it worked. I can't wait for the Avengers Movie next summer.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

I too enjoyed Captain America more than I did Thor. The storyline remained truer to the comic book, the action reminded me more of a good Indiana Jones flick, especially the most recent one, and there wasn't a compulsion to cover the gaping holes in the storyline with special effects as in Thor. Although the Steve Rogers character was a bit too puppy-doggish in that he had a one dimensional, one track mind, he otherwise did fit my expectations of a an eager novice becoming a loyal patriot. And I give props to CA for NOT getting the girl in the end, which seems obligatory for all of the Marvel movies except for Punisher.

Spiderman, Superman, you taking notes? Enough with the mushy, broken romance dragged out into trilogies! These are action movies starring crime fighters in costumes, not Hugh Grant vehicles where the lead bumbles around until he finally scores at the end! One movie with this scenario is bad enough, but three of them with the same dumb plot? When they have like fifty years of material to draw from for each of these guys? Any brains left in Hollywood?

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Monstertako

I think Iron Man set the bar in terms of how much romance to extrapolate on. In the first one, you get a sense that if they acted on it there could be a romance. The second one did a good job with the romance because it added to the depth of starks downward spiral because of him dying.

But at the end of the day, Iron Man came home after kicking butt to have himself a drink.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Captain America was and is my favorite comic book, I remember reading The Death Of Captain America a few years back and not gonna lie I cried a little bit. Something about the character just connects with me, but I have yet to watch the film, need to though. Thanks for the review, hopefully they get into The Winter Kill story line that is just crying to be made into a movie.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Monster.. I agree with almost everything that you said, other than the "get's the girl" comment. Looking back at all of the movies in this series: Iron Man 1,2, Hulk, Thor, and CM.. all of the characters lose the girl, none end up with them. I believe that will be a huge motive for all of them in the flick next summer. CM was amazing. I coach baseball and we were in the state tournament for American Legion ball last week and I had the privilege to take my whole team to it on opening night. Talk about a way to get your team jacked up. One of my players even bought a CM t shirt and wore it under his jersey for the duration of the tournament. JACKED FOR THE AVENGERS!

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Thor isn't a comic son.

Line 2

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by freedom12

Ummm,

Yeah it is?

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Nosred

Well so they made a comic book, but the story is Norse mythology.

Line 2

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by freedom12

But the movie is based on the comic book.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Thor is one of Marvel Comics' oldest characters. He is one of the original Avengers, hence the movie's tie-in to Iron Man and Captain America. Marvel Comics also has its own version of Hercules.
So yes, the comic is based on Norse mythology, but the movie was based on the comic

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I found the best scenes to be with Tommy Lee Jones.I found most of it boring and the effects average.This movie to me was a 2 star movie a lot of boring parts and the end wasnt anything special.I think Thor had more comic relief and cooler actions scenes i give Thor 2 and a half.I liked the Green Lantern better than either of these loved the ending and effects were great in 3D and i gave it 3 out of 5 stars

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
New movie:  "Captain America: The First Avenger"

The villain, Red Skull and the hero Capt America, are both imbued with superhuman powers given to them by a refugee scientist from the Nazis.  Red Skull works for Hitler, developing new weapons.  But he is also the head of a cult-like terrorist group "Hydra."   The influences of the NWO are obvious:

www.comicvine.com...
"In this film, he is portrayed as a Nazi officer who has become obsessed with the acquisition of occult power, and his own status as "the superior man". "

--Three top Nazis visit him, to see what progress he is making.  One notices a map of future targets of the superweapons he is building and sees that Berlin is also flagged as a target.  This member of his countries 'elite' has no loyalty to his own people.  Just like the NWO.

--Red Skull is described by other characters as 'insane' because he believes he is a god, or aspires to be like the gods.  This of course mirrors the NWO occultic mystery religions, whose adherents also aspire to be gods and become 'godlike.'  It is Luciferianism at its core.

--In the climactic fight with Capt America, Red Skull tells him "You wear a flag on your chest and think you fight for the future of your country. I’ve seen the future. There are no flags!”  Meaning in the future there will be no sovereign nations anymore, just a global organizatgion controlling everything.
www.comicbookmovie.com...

--At least twice Red Skulls warns that if you cut off one arm of the 'Hydra,' it will just sprout up somewhere else.  This emphasizes the 'secret society' aspects of Hydra, and implies the organization is in many places(countries).

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   

I read somewhere that they had to drop "Captain America" from the title.. And simply call it "The first avenger" in Russia, and south Korea..

Not unusual.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone was called Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone in England and other countries. I think the publisher didn't feel the American public would receive it as well (or had ever heard of the fabled Philosopher's Stone, and get the title).

I actually liked this movie (Capt. America) better than Thor too. For one, the period setting was a nice departure. Great explanation for the cheesy uniform too. As things go, he's a lot like Batman...not overly powerful, just skilled and strong, with a neat gadget. Not crazy about the fate of the bad guy though...

The end preview for the full Avengers movie was pretty kick-butt though...

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Going to wait for the DVD's of both Thor and Captain America.

All I really know of Captain America is the Chevy Chase film way back when. I think it was Chevy Chase.
I remember it was poor.

Something about this character just makes me think "Team America, **** Yeah".
Is it just an "Americans are great" campaign or is it a really worthwhile, thought-out story?

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Chukkles

Honestly, other than the start when Steve's trying to join the army and the early part of his career as Captain America (which I didn't mind because EVERY guy wanted to represent his country back then no matter where in the world they were from), I didn't notice any overly American sentiment.

The whole cinema I went to laughed at a few pretty funny scenes, mostly those involving Tommy Lee Jones. I'm hopeful they figured out what to do with Red Skull for the sequel they're working on because in the movie, Hugo Weaving really pulled him off as a character to hate without going over the top like some movie villains, especially those fighting for Nazi Germany.

Really great movie.

top topics

join